Loss of wireless connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on Loss of wireless connection - Wireless ; Hi. Hope the info i've written is correct! I have cable modem connected via ethernet cable to wireless router, a Linksys WRT54G vers2. Set up a home network so I could connect my wireless laptop. All working fine until I ...

  1. Loss of wireless connection

    Hi.
    Hope the info i've written is correct!
    I have cable modem connected via ethernet cable to wireless router, a
    Linksys WRT54G vers2.
    Set up a home network so I could connect my wireless laptop.
    All working fine until I had to disconnect everything when upgrading my RAM
    on pc.
    Now cannot connect Laptop. Tried everything. Reset everyting, still nothing.
    The Laptop can detect network but just says'Acquiring Network address'
    I've tried manually typing IP address in TCP/IPsettings which thought worked
    but there's no signal.
    Is it hardware problem?
    Help please.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Loss of wireless connection

    "Smiffie72" wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > Hope the info i've written is correct!
    > I have cable modem connected via ethernet cable to wireless router, a
    > Linksys WRT54G vers2.
    > Set up a home network so I could connect my wireless laptop.
    > All working fine until I had to disconnect everything when upgrading my
    > RAM
    > on pc.
    > Now cannot connect Laptop. Tried everything. Reset everyting, still
    > nothing.
    > The Laptop can detect network but just says'Acquiring Network address'
    > I've tried manually typing IP address in TCP/IPsettings which thought
    > worked
    > but there's no signal.
    > Is it hardware problem?
    > Help please.
    > Thanks

    Is the desktop PC working properly? Why did you "disconnect everything" just
    to upgrade the RAM? Did you reconnect everything exactly the way it was
    before?

  3. Re: Loss of wireless connection

    Hi
    It probably has nothing to do with the Laptop.
    My guess would be that the Router is not configured correctly.
    Check all the connections, and use a wired PC to connect to the Router and
    check its settings.
    To find trouble with computer connected with wire,
    http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Wireless, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    As for the Router you would have to use its manual.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Smiffie72" wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > Hope the info i've written is correct!
    > I have cable modem connected via ethernet cable to wireless router, a
    > Linksys WRT54G vers2.
    > Set up a home network so I could connect my wireless laptop.
    > All working fine until I had to disconnect everything when upgrading my
    > RAM
    > on pc.
    > Now cannot connect Laptop. Tried everything. Reset everyting, still
    > nothing.
    > The Laptop can detect network but just says'Acquiring Network address'
    > I've tried manually typing IP address in TCP/IPsettings which thought
    > worked
    > but there's no signal.
    > Is it hardware problem?
    > Help please.
    > Thanks

  4. Re: Loss of wireless connection / let windows run your remote

    Hi Ed:

    I had a similar situation sometime ago. The linksys box is great, however
    here is my solution which has one drawback and that is no protection. For my
    notebook I which I have a linksys card & software, I trashed the software and
    let windows do it's thing manage that setup. My pc just runs off a port on
    the router and I am able to print if I just turn on the pc, the printers are
    connected to the pc, no wireless print devices. The strange thing is when my
    son is over with his dell notebook about 4 years old has a linksys card he
    can connect only if you go to the setup area of the card and have it
    recognize first the name of your linksys network. Also, all my computers have
    the same name for the group they belong to like MSHOME. All systems I believe
    require the same name. You are not creating a domain.

    Hope this helps
    Dan

    "Special Ed" wrote:

    > "Smiffie72" wrote in message
    > > Hi.
    > > Hope the info i've written is correct!
    > > I have cable modem connected via ethernet cable to wireless router, a
    > > Linksys WRT54G vers2.
    > > Set up a home network so I could connect my wireless laptop.
    > > All working fine until I had to disconnect everything when upgrading my
    > > RAM
    > > on pc.
    > > Now cannot connect Laptop. Tried everything. Reset everyting, still
    > > nothing.
    > > The Laptop can detect network but just says'Acquiring Network address'
    > > I've tried manually typing IP address in TCP/IPsettings which thought
    > > worked
    > > but there's no signal.
    > > Is it hardware problem?
    > > Help please.
    > > Thanks

    > Is the desktop PC working properly? Why did you "disconnect everything" just
    > to upgrade the RAM? Did you reconnect everything exactly the way it was
    > before?

+ Reply to Thread