Locking of Wireless connections - Wireless

This is a discussion on Locking of Wireless connections - Wireless ; I have two laptops in my house running xp which I'd like to lock to only use our own wireless connection. My kids (shifty buggers they are) have figured out how to change connections onto unsecured neighbourhood networks to get ...

  1. Locking of Wireless connections

    I have two laptops in my house running xp which I'd like to lock to only use
    our own wireless connection. My kids (shifty buggers they are) have figured
    out how to change connections onto unsecured neighbourhood networks to get
    around my router restrictions and have unlimited internet access. These
    machine have a seperate Administrator account and then teh kids limited
    account. I just can't seem to find anything to tell me how to prevent them
    from changing the wireless network they connect to.

    Tim///

  2. Re: Locking of Wireless connections

    On Aug 8, 3:51*pm, Timmy_d wrote:
    > I have two laptops in my house running xp which I'd like to lock to only use
    > our own wireless connection. My kids (shifty buggers they are) have figured
    > out how to change connections onto unsecured neighbourhood networks to get
    > around my router restrictions and have unlimited internet access. These
    > machine have a seperate Administrator account and then teh kids limited
    > account. I just can't seem to find anything to tell me how to prevent them
    > from changing the wireless network they connect to.
    >
    > Tim///

    This sounds like they have gain access to the Administrator account
    since the limited account should not be allowed to change the network
    settings.

  3. Re: Locking of Wireless connections

    Limited user account is able to choose any wifi network without changing
    network settings. That's what Timmy_d wants to control.

    "smlunatick" wrote in message
    On Aug 8, 3:51 pm, Timmy_d wrote:
    > I have two laptops in my house running xp which I'd like to lock to only
    > use
    > our own wireless connection. My kids (shifty buggers they are) have
    > figured
    > out how to change connections onto unsecured neighbourhood networks to get
    > around my router restrictions and have unlimited internet access. These
    > machine have a seperate Administrator account and then teh kids limited
    > account. I just can't seem to find anything to tell me how to prevent them
    > from changing the wireless network they connect to.
    >
    > Tim///

    This sounds like they have gain access to the Administrator account
    since the limited account should not be allowed to change the network
    settings.

  4. Re: Locking of Wireless connections

    "Timmy_d" wrote in message
    > I have two laptops in my house running xp which I'd like to lock to only
    > use
    > our own wireless connection. My kids (shifty buggers they are) have
    > figured
    > out how to change connections onto unsecured neighbourhood networks to get
    > around my router restrictions and have unlimited internet access. These
    > machine have a seperate Administrator account and then teh kids limited
    > account. I just can't seem to find anything to tell me how to prevent them
    > from changing the wireless network they connect to.
    >
    > Tim///

    A vendor may provide this with their own wi-fi software.
    For example, Intel PROset can specify "mandatory AP".

    --PA

  5. Re: Locking of Wireless connections

    Hi
    Try to configure the Wireless card TCP/IP stack with a static IP of your
    Router subnet (but out of the DHCP range) put your Router's core IP as the
    Default Gateway.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Timmy_d" wrote in message
    >I have two laptops in my house running xp which I'd like to lock to only
    >use
    > our own wireless connection. My kids (shifty buggers they are) have
    > figured
    > out how to change connections onto unsecured neighbourhood networks to get
    > around my router restrictions and have unlimited internet access. These
    > machine have a seperate Administrator account and then teh kids limited
    > account. I just can't seem to find anything to tell me how to prevent them
    > from changing the wireless network they connect to.
    >
    > Tim///

  6. Re: Locking of Wireless connections

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > "Timmy_d" wrote in message
    >> I have two laptops in my house running xp which I'd like to lock to only
    >> use
    >> our own wireless connection. My kids (shifty buggers they are) have
    >> figured
    >> out how to change connections onto unsecured neighbourhood networks to
    >> get
    >> around my router restrictions and have unlimited internet access. These
    >> machine have a seperate Administrator account and then teh kids limited
    >> account. I just can't seem to find anything to tell me how to prevent
    >> them
    >> from changing the wireless network they connect to.
    >>
    >> Tim///

    > A vendor may provide this with their own wi-fi software.
    > For example, Intel PROset can specify "mandatory AP".
    >
    > --PA

    But nothing stops limited user accounts from removing "mandatory AP" from
    wifi settings.

  7. Re: Locking of Wireless connections

    [Repost]

    That's pretty hard to do, if not impossible.

    You might consider locking your PCs down with some type of parental control
    software, some ISPs offer free licenses to their customers, or the use of
    the free SteadyState tool for Vista and XP from Microsoft. Vista also has
    built-in parental controls. Those type tools allow you to control when a
    child can log on a PC, what they can do and if they can access the internet.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...s/default.mspx

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...ental+controls

    Make sure the admin account is protected by a strong password...

    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/you...d/checker.mspx

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    "Timmy_d" wrote in message
    >I have two laptops in my house running xp which I'd like to lock to only
    >use
    > our own wireless connection. My kids (shifty buggers they are) have
    > figured
    > out how to change connections onto unsecured neighbourhood networks to get
    > around my router restrictions and have unlimited internet access. These
    > machine have a seperate Administrator account and then teh kids limited
    > account. I just can't seem to find anything to tell me how to prevent them
    > from changing the wireless network they connect to.
    >
    > Tim///

+ Reply to Thread