Wireless connection shifting to another network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless connection shifting to another network - Wireless ; I am using Windows XP and I connect to the internet via a WEP enabled router in my home. I have recently noticed that my computer is dropping my home connection, which is the strongest connection, to this other unsecured ...

  1. Wireless connection shifting to another network

    I am using Windows XP and I connect to the internet via a WEP enabled router
    in my home. I have recently noticed that my computer is dropping my home
    connection, which is the strongest connection, to this other unsecured
    network. Can I keep my computer from using this network?

  2. Re: Wireless connection shifting to another network

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 20:18:01 -0700, Wallincc
    wrote:

    >I am using Windows XP and I connect to the internet via a WEP enabled router
    >in my home. I have recently noticed that my computer is dropping my home
    >connection, which is the strongest connection, to this other unsecured
    >network. Can I keep my computer from using this network?

    If you haven't already done so, change your wireless network name
    (SSID) to something unique. Don't use the default name, because a
    neighbor of yours might have a wireless network with the same name.

    To keep your computer from connecting to an undesired wireless
    network:

    1. Go to Control Panel > Network Connections.

    2. Right-click the wireless network connection.

    3. Click "View Available Wireless Networks".

    4. Click "Change the order of preferred networks".

    5. If the undesired network appears in the list of preferred networks,
    click it, then click Remove.

    6. Click the Advanced button.

    7. Un-check "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks".
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

+ Reply to Thread