options are greyed out when configuring a wireless source - Wireless

This is a discussion on options are greyed out when configuring a wireless source - Wireless ; This is on a laptop running Windows XP SP3. I set up 3 access points for staff use authenticating to the server (SBS 2003 Premium SP1) using RADIUS. and client authentication is set to WPA2-PSK. The problem is with the ...

  1. options are greyed out when configuring a wireless source

    This is on a laptop running Windows XP SP3.

    I set up 3 access points for staff use authenticating to the server (SBS
    2003 Premium SP1) using RADIUS. and client authentication is set to
    WPA2-PSK.

    The problem is with the Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection >
    Configure (wireless card) > Wireless Networks. When I select a wireless
    SSID and select Properties > Association tab, I can select WPA2-PSK from the
    drop-down, but the spaces for the Network Key are greyed out. When I close
    out and go back in, the authentication type "defaults" back to WPA, AES. It
    won't "stick". I've tried deleting the SSID's and then selecting Add, but I
    get the same results.

    What am I missing?
    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

  2. Re: options are greyed out when configuring a wireless source

    Hi Mike,

    I take it that you got the wireless bridge to work between the buildings
    that we talked about last year or year and a half ago?

    For the current situation, I have to guess a little since I can't see what
    you have.

    I see no point at all in user authentication and RADIUS. The user can
    authenticate after they connect to the WAP,...they don't need to
    authenticate in order to connect to the WAP. I know some may disagree, but
    there are some things that just needlessly over complicate things and are
    over-kill,...and that is one of them to me.

    All variations of WPA do a good job,...and face it,...the WAP's signal is
    about useless beyond 150 feet anyway,...and if I remmeber correctly your
    buildings are kind of out in the middle of no-where. If you see someone
    parked outside the building in a car with a pringles can pointed at you just
    go beat the snot out of them,..it works great as a security measure and they
    don't usually come back.

    Just choose one of the variations of WPA that all the pieces of equipment
    can agree on and work properly with. Not all models and not all brands
    handle the variations equally.

    I get by just fine with WPA-Personal with TKIP encryption and there are a
    couple other variations equally easy to setup. Jack (MVP-Networking), in
    this group, often posts a list of these in there order of strength that you
    can choose from.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Mike in Nebraska" wrote in message
    > This is on a laptop running Windows XP SP3.
    >
    > I set up 3 access points for staff use authenticating to the server (SBS
    > 2003 Premium SP1) using RADIUS. and client authentication is set to
    > WPA2-PSK.
    >
    > The problem is with the Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection
    > > Configure (wireless card) > Wireless Networks. When I select a wireless

    > SSID and select Properties > Association tab, I can select WPA2-PSK from
    > the drop-down, but the spaces for the Network Key are greyed out. When I
    > close out and go back in, the authentication type "defaults" back to WPA,
    > AES. It won't "stick". I've tried deleting the SSID's and then selecting
    > Add, but I get the same results.
    >
    > What am I missing?
    > --
    > Mike Webb
    > Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    > a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization
    > Wood River, NE

  3. Re: options are greyed out when configuring a wireless source

    Well, I THOUGHT I had it all worked out. Got a document from a website by
    Owen Williams (MVP), off the microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs newsgroup,
    on how to set up secure wireless for a SBS network.

    I've got 5 AP's setup for visitors, bridged via "WDS with AP" mode, in all
    buildings, and 3 AP's, also in "WDS with AP" mode, only in this building for
    staff use. I've got plain WPA on the visitors SSID's, but stronger WPA2 for
    the staff (since I'm the guy who sets them up - and it's only 4 laptops, at
    this time.) I used a cross-over cable from my wireless router to handle the
    visitors AP's, and the staff AP's are wired right into the switch & LAN.
    Unfortunately, nothing works. I'm back-tracking this week since everyone's
    on Oregon for a week-long conference -- leaving me the time to break this
    down to the essentials and put it back together one step at a time to see
    where the problem is.

    Just seems odd that I can't do anything with the wireless NIC. Maybe I
    should just ignore this problem and move on by starting over from the basics
    before I add "complications".

    Thanks for weighing in.
    Mike

    "Phillip Windell" wrote in message
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I take it that you got the wireless bridge to work between the buildings
    > that we talked about last year or year and a half ago?
    >
    > For the current situation, I have to guess a little since I can't see what
    > you have.
    >
    > I see no point at all in user authentication and RADIUS. The user can
    > authenticate after they connect to the WAP,...they don't need to
    > authenticate in order to connect to the WAP. I know some may disagree,
    > but there are some things that just needlessly over complicate things and
    > are over-kill,...and that is one of them to me.
    >
    > All variations of WPA do a good job,...and face it,...the WAP's signal is
    > about useless beyond 150 feet anyway,...and if I remmeber correctly your
    > buildings are kind of out in the middle of no-where. If you see someone
    > parked outside the building in a car with a pringles can pointed at you
    > just go beat the snot out of them,..it works great as a security measure
    > and they don't usually come back.
    >
    > Just choose one of the variations of WPA that all the pieces of equipment
    > can agree on and work properly with. Not all models and not all brands
    > handle the variations equally.
    >
    > I get by just fine with WPA-Personal with TKIP encryption and there are a
    > couple other variations equally easy to setup. Jack (MVP-Networking), in
    > this group, often posts a list of these in there order of strength that
    > you can choose from.
    >

    > --
    > Phillip Windell
    > www.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    > Microsoft,
    >

    > "Mike in Nebraska" wrote in message
    >> This is on a laptop running Windows XP SP3.
    >>
    >> I set up 3 access points for staff use authenticating to the server (SBS
    >> 2003 Premium SP1) using RADIUS. and client authentication is set to
    >> WPA2-PSK.
    >>
    >> The problem is with the Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection
    >> > Configure (wireless card) > Wireless Networks. When I select a

    >> wireless SSID and select Properties > Association tab, I can select
    >> WPA2-PSK from the drop-down, but the spaces for the Network Key are
    >> greyed out. When I close out and go back in, the authentication type
    >> "defaults" back to WPA, AES. It won't "stick". I've tried deleting the
    >> SSID's and then selecting Add, but I get the same results.
    >>
    >> What am I missing?
    >> --
    >> Mike Webb
    >> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >> a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization
    >> Wood River, NE

  4. Re: options are greyed out when configuring a wireless source

    > Well, I THOUGHT I had it all worked out. Got a document from a website by
    > Owen Williams (MVP), off the microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
    > newsgroup, on how to set up secure wireless for a SBS network.

    All you have to do is secure the radio signal comming from the WAPs and the
    WRT. SBS is irrelevant,..it could just as easily be a network of Linux
    machines, it just doesn't really matter.

    I consider any variation of WPA to be strong (some just stronger than
    others). It is WEP and using "nothing" that are weak.

    Remember that securing the radio signal is the equivalent of keeping people
    from plugging a laptop into a wall jack without you knowing it. Any other
    security beyond that has nothing to do with the wireless part of it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  5. Re: options are greyed out when configuring a wireless source

    On Aug 5, 3:54*pm, "Phillip Windell" wrote:
    > "Mike in Nebraska" wrote in messagenews:uf24wwz9IHA.4536@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
    >
    > > Well, I THOUGHT I had it all worked out. *Got a document from a website by
    > > Owen Williams (MVP), off the microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
    > > newsgroup, on how to set up secure wireless for a SBS network.

    > All you have to do is secure the radio signal comming from the WAPs and the
    > WRT. *SBS is irrelevant,..it could just as easily be a network of Linux
    > machines, it just doesn't really matter.
    >
    > I consider any variation of WPA to be strong (some just stronger than
    > others). *It is WEP and using "nothing" that are weak.
    >
    > Remember that securing the radio signal is the equivalent of keeping people
    > from plugging a laptop into a wall jack without you knowing it. *Any other
    > security beyond that has nothing to do with the wireless part of it.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,

    Good points, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread