Legality of using unprotected wirelsss networks ( This is a duplicate message. Made a typo in the original Subject line) - Wireless

This is a discussion on Legality of using unprotected wirelsss networks ( This is a duplicate message. Made a typo in the original Subject line) - Wireless ; (Made a typo in the original Subject line) This is not an argument, but a discussion. A while back I asked a question concerning use of unprotected wireless networks from my desk at home. I was told it was illegal. ...

  1. Legality of using unprotected wirelsss networks ( This is a duplicate message. Made a typo in the original Subject line)

    (Made a typo in the original Subject line)

    This is not an argument, but a discussion.

    A while back I asked a question concerning use of unprotected wireless
    networks from my desk at home. I was told it was illegal.

    I did not question it, until this weekend, when I became acutely aware
    that all over my city, in parks and playgrounds, along many streets,
    simply everywhere, there are people using laptops, connected via
    wireless. So I asked a random sample of 8 or 9 people how they were
    connected. All said they found unprotected networks everywhere in the
    city. I asked if they knew about the "illegality" of such use. They
    all said they were aware, but asked, as I do now, how would it be
    possible for people to do business while away from home or office, if
    such connections were unavailable?

    I think most individual net based businesses would simply collapse.

    The network I am using is available 24/7, with a far stronger signal
    than almost all the protected ones, and I have to believe that the
    person or entity which is the source of it is unconcerned about
    sharing their connection.

    I hope that the same MVP that responded will see this and respond. And
    of course any other feedback or discussion would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Legality of using unprotected wirelsss networks ( This is a duplicate message. Made a typo in the original Subject line)

    You did it again in this post. There is no need to post again just because
    you made a mistake, unless it is necessary for us to understand your
    concern.

    Only snakes use "wirelsss" networks!

    Yes, that was intended to be funny.

    Gregg Hill

    "Seeker" wrote in message
    > (Made a typo in the original Subject line)
    >
    > This is not an argument, but a discussion.
    >
    > A while back I asked a question concerning use of unprotected wireless
    > networks from my desk at home. I was told it was illegal.
    >
    > I did not question it, until this weekend, when I became acutely aware
    > that all over my city, in parks and playgrounds, along many streets,
    > simply everywhere, there are people using laptops, connected via
    > wireless. So I asked a random sample of 8 or 9 people how they were
    > connected. All said they found unprotected networks everywhere in the
    > city. I asked if they knew about the "illegality" of such use. They
    > all said they were aware, but asked, as I do now, how would it be
    > possible for people to do business while away from home or office, if
    > such connections were unavailable?
    >
    > I think most individual net based businesses would simply collapse.
    >
    > The network I am using is available 24/7, with a far stronger signal
    > than almost all the protected ones, and I have to believe that the
    > person or entity which is the source of it is unconcerned about
    > sharing their connection.
    >
    > I hope that the same MVP that responded will see this and respond. And
    > of course any other feedback or discussion would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Legality of using unprotected wirelsss networks ( This is a duplicate message. Made a typo in the original Subject line)

    > simply everywhere, there are people using laptops, connected via

    You have 2 spaces right after comma and the word "there". Retype and post it
    again.

    "Seeker" wrote in message
    > (Made a typo in the original Subject line)
    >
    > This is not an argument, but a discussion.
    >
    > A while back I asked a question concerning use of unprotected wireless
    > networks from my desk at home. I was told it was illegal.
    >
    > I did not question it, until this weekend, when I became acutely aware
    > that all over my city, in parks and playgrounds, along many streets,
    > simply everywhere, there are people using laptops, connected via
    > wireless. So I asked a random sample of 8 or 9 people how they were
    > connected. All said they found unprotected networks everywhere in the
    > city. I asked if they knew about the "illegality" of such use. They
    > all said they were aware, but asked, as I do now, how would it be
    > possible for people to do business while away from home or office, if
    > such connections were unavailable?
    >
    > I think most individual net based businesses would simply collapse.
    >
    > The network I am using is available 24/7, with a far stronger signal
    > than almost all the protected ones, and I have to believe that the
    > person or entity which is the source of it is unconcerned about
    > sharing their connection.
    >
    > I hope that the same MVP that responded will see this and respond. And
    > of course any other feedback or discussion would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Re: Legality of using unprotected wirelsss networks ( This is a duplicate message. Made a typo in the original Subject line)

    "DeeJay" wrote in message
    >> simply everywhere, there are people using laptops, connected via

    > You have 2 spaces right after comma and the word "there". Retype and post
    > it again.

    Uh-oh,..you left out "the" between "after" and "comma". You'll have to
    retype your post to tell him to retype his post :-)

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  5. Re: Legality of using unprotected wirelsss networks ( This is a duplicate message. Made a typo in the original Subject line)

    Both of you should re-type yours so that you end your sentences properly
    when using quotation marks. The period should be inside the ending quotation
    mark in your instances (but not always).

    Gregg

    "Phillip Windell" wrote in message
    > "DeeJay" wrote in message
    >>> simply everywhere, there are people using laptops, connected via

    >> You have 2 spaces right after comma and the word "there". Retype and post
    >> it again.

    > Uh-oh,..you left out "the" between "after" and "comma". You'll have to
    > retype your post to tell him to retype his post :-)
    >

    > --
    > Phillip Windell
    > www.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    > Microsoft,

  6. Re: Legality of using unprotected wirelsss networks ( This is a duplicate message. Made a typo in the original Subject line)

    We'll never get out of here alive now!

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com