Computer looks for former printer - Wireless

This is a discussion on Computer looks for former printer - Wireless ; I have a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop, and just installed a new HP8960 deskjet on the wireless network. It prints, but only after a minute to a minute and a half after I've clicked on the Print command button. HP ...

  1. Computer looks for former printer

    I have a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop, and just installed a new HP8960 deskjet
    on the wireless network. It prints, but only after a minute to a minute and
    a half after I've clicked on the Print command button. HP tech services
    connected remotely and said the computer is looking for the old Dell printer,
    which no longer exists. The old surfboard modem is gone and we're using the
    AirPort to manage our wireless network. How can I find and delete whatever
    is causing the computer to look for the nonexistent former printer? How can
    I make it just go directly to the new one?
    Thanks!

  2. Re: Computer looks for former printer

    Control Panel | Printers...delete the old one.

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    "GayeSF" wrote in message

    > I have a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop, and just installed a new HP8960 deskjet
    > on the wireless network. It prints, but only after a minute to a minute and
    > a half after I've clicked on the Print command button. HP tech services
    > connected remotely and said the computer is looking for the old Dell printer,
    > which no longer exists. The old surfboard modem is gone and we're using the
    > AirPort to manage our wireless network. How can I find and delete whatever
    > is causing the computer to look for the nonexistent former printer? How can
    > I make it just go directly to the new one?
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: Computer looks for former printer

    Already done. No image of it anywhere, and no Dell software to remove that I
    can find. It just exists somewhere in the layers of the printer's mind. Any
    idea where or how to find and expunge it?

    "Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote:

    > Control Panel | Printers...delete the old one.
    >
    > --
    > -Ben-
    > Ben M. Schorr, MVP
    > Roland Schorr & Tower
    > http://www.rolandschorr.com
    > http://www.officeforlawyers.com
    > Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
    > http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q
    >

    > "GayeSF" wrote in message
    >
    > > I have a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop, and just installed a new HP8960 deskjet
    > > on the wireless network. It prints, but only after a minute to a minute and
    > > a half after I've clicked on the Print command button. HP tech services
    > > connected remotely and said the computer is looking for the old Dell printer,
    > > which no longer exists. The old surfboard modem is gone and we're using the
    > > AirPort to manage our wireless network. How can I find and delete whatever
    > > is causing the computer to look for the nonexistent former printer? How can
    > > I make it just go directly to the new one?
    > > Thanks!

  4. Re: Computer looks for former printer

    Hi
    I am not familiar with your printer per-se but it is not uncommon that it
    takes longer than usual time to a Wireless Network printer to "organize" it
    self and start printing.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "GayeSF" wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop, and just installed a new HP8960 deskjet
    > on the wireless network. It prints, but only after a minute to a minute
    > and
    > a half after I've clicked on the Print command button. HP tech services
    > connected remotely and said the computer is looking for the old Dell
    > printer,
    > which no longer exists. The old surfboard modem is gone and we're using
    > the
    > AirPort to manage our wireless network. How can I find and delete
    > whatever
    > is causing the computer to look for the nonexistent former printer? How
    > can
    > I make it just go directly to the new one?
    > Thanks!

  5. Re: Computer looks for former printer

    Well if there's "no image of it anywhere" I'm not sure why HP thinks
    that your computer is still looking for it.

    Without knowing your network or your former printer it's a little hard
    for me to offer any concrete suggestions to purge it other than to
    suggest that IF your computer is still looking for it, then some trace
    of it must still be there somewhere. I'd double-check your system if I
    were you.

    One test you can do is go to Control Panel | Printers and open the
    properties of your NEW printer and have it print a test page. If it
    takes the new printer the same minute/minute and a half to print that
    test page then it's probably just the normal performance of the device.

    --

    "GayeSF" wrote in message

    > Already done. No image of it anywhere, and no Dell software to remove that I
    > can find. It just exists somewhere in the layers of the printer's mind. Any
    > idea where or how to find and expunge it?
    >
    > "Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote:
    >

    > > Control Panel | Printers...delete the old one.
    > >
    > > --
    > > -Ben-
    > > Ben M. Schorr, MVP
    > > Roland Schorr & Tower
    > > http://www.rolandschorr.com
    > > http://www.officeforlawyers.com
    > > Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
    > > http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q
    > >

    > > "GayeSF" wrote in message
    > >

    > > > I have a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop, and just installed a new HP8960 deskjet
    > > > on the wireless network. It prints, but only after a minute to a minute and
    > > > a half after I've clicked on the Print command button. HP tech services
    > > > connected remotely and said the computer is looking for the old Dell printer,
    > > > which no longer exists. The old surfboard modem is gone and we're using the
    > > > AirPort to manage our wireless network. How can I find and delete whatever
    > > > is causing the computer to look for the nonexistent former printer? How can
    > > > I make it just go directly to the new one?
    > > > Thanks!

  6. Re: Computer looks for former printer

    Thanks both Jack and Ben. The test page took about the same time as usual,
    and it helps to know that a wireless network printer takes longer. Maybe
    I'll configure mine by ethernet, since it sits right next to it, or just live
    with the lag time. It was being told that my old printer had left a ghost
    that the computer was looking for that got me. Thanks!

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am not familiar with your printer per-se but it is not uncommon that it
    > takes longer than usual time to a Wireless Network printer to "organize" it
    > self and start printing.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "GayeSF" wrote in message
    > >I have a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop, and just installed a new HP8960 deskjet
    > > on the wireless network. It prints, but only after a minute to a minute
    > > and
    > > a half after I've clicked on the Print command button. HP tech services
    > > connected remotely and said the computer is looking for the old Dell
    > > printer,
    > > which no longer exists. The old surfboard modem is gone and we're using
    > > the
    > > AirPort to manage our wireless network. How can I find and delete
    > > whatever
    > > is causing the computer to look for the nonexistent former printer? How
    > > can
    > > I make it just go directly to the new one?
    > > Thanks!

  7. Re: Computer looks for former printer

    "Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote in message
    > Well if there's "no image of it anywhere" I'm not sure why HP thinks that
    > your computer is still looking for it.

    Agreed, I don't think the HP guy knows what he is talking about.

    (Hi, Ben..:-))

  8. Re: Computer looks for former printer

    "GayeSF" wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Inspiron 600M laptop, and just installed a new HP8960 deskjet
    > on the wireless network. It prints, but only after a minute to a minute
    > and
    > a half after I've clicked on the Print command button.

    That isn't all that unreasonable. A high-graphics print job like photos can
    easily take that long,..especially over a *slow* wireless connection. Print
    jobs are uncompressed *raw* data that is huge,...it will take time for it to
    get there and then take more time to be processed. Your wireless
    connection is not going to be as fast as a wired ethernet connection and no
    where close to as fast as a USB or LPT printer cable would be.

    > HP tech services
    > connected remotely and said the computer is looking for the old Dell
    > printer,
    > which no longer exists.

    If the old printer has been deleted than this is non-sense.

    >The old surfboard modem is gone and we're using the AirPort to manage our
    >wireless network.

    Not really relevant.

    --
    Phillip Windell