No WPA??!! Can't download - Wireless

This is a discussion on No WPA??!! Can't download - Wireless ; Hi - I have been using a Linksys router and connecting just fine. Now we have a new router (Linksys) and it's password protected. I was told to set it up to choose "WPA" and I don't have that option. ...

  1. No WPA??!! Can't download

    Hi -

    I have been using a Linksys router and connecting just fine. Now we
    have a new router (Linksys) and it's password protected.

    I was told to set it up to choose "WPA" and I don't have that option.

    I went to Windows Downloads and took all the possible steps (I'm on
    Windows XP - I had SP2, and loaded SP3) and still don't have WPA.

    I tried just the WPA download KB893357 and it says I already have the
    SP that should have this in it.

    Is there some way I can get WPA onto my laptop? I am NOT technical -
    just a [frustrsted] user!

    thanks -
    Sara

  2. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    what wireless card> have you looked for a newer driver that supports
    WPA? what laptop? does it have built in wireless? please post the
    text results of ipconfig /all

    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  3. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    On Aug 3, 4:48*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > what wireless card> have you looked for a newer driver that supports
    > WPA? what laptop? does it have built in wireless? please post the
    > text results of ipconfig /all
    >
    > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...-to-get-text-o...
    >
    > On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:21:22 -0700 (PDT), "saraqp...@yahoo.com"
    >

    > wrote:
    > >Hi -

    > >I have been using a Linksys router and connecting just fine. *Now we
    > >have a new router (Linksys) and it's password protected.

    > >I was told to set it up to choose "WPA" and I don't have that option.

    > >I went to Windows Downloads and took all the possible steps (I'm on
    > >Windows XP - I had SP2, and loaded SP3) and still don't have WPA.

    > >I tried just the WPA download KB893357 and it says I already have the
    > >SP that should have this in it.

    > >Is there some way I can get WPA onto my laptop? *I am NOT technical -
    > >just a [frustrsted] user!

    > >thanks *-
    > >Sara

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Barb -

    What I really need is the Download that puts WPA onto Windows XP.
    Though I've taken all MS updates, somehow I don't have this one. I
    tried to download it yesterday a few times and I get the message that
    what I've already downloaded (SP2) contains the WPA. But it's not on
    my laptop.

    My laptop has built-in wireless. I suspect it still has a "card", and
    if it does I don't know how to tell you what that card is. I did have
    to have my hard drive put into a new laptop (Thinkpad T42) when the
    screen/monitor died, so maybe that new "hardware" was missing the
    WPA?

    This is not my area, so I apologize for the vague details. I do know
    that when I go into "Change Advanced Settings" and see "wireless
    networks" and choose "Properties" for the one I need to set up and
    enter a PW, I only have "Open or Shared" for "Network Authentication"
    and "WEP or Disabled" for Data Encryption. My brother thought I
    needed updates, but I have them all (did SP3 yesterday).

    I can get on at the airport and on a neighbor's wireless (they're
    open). RIght now I'm on using a lan cable.

    Does this info help? And here's the ipconfig /all:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\sadelizzi.BUILDING19>ipconfig /all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LT1024
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : building19.com
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : building19.com
    cable.rcn.com

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Cisco Systems PCI Wireless
    LAN Adapt
    er
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-9B-B2-12-00

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cable.rcn.com
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT
    Mobile Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-25-47-FF-29
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    207.172.3.9
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 03, 2008
    7:13:33 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 04, 2008
    7:13:33 AM

    C:\Documents and Settings\sadelizzi.BUILDING19>

    MANY thanks!
    sara

  4. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    Do a simple test. Disable windows WZC and install manufacturer's wireless
    utility. Do you have WPA?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 03, 2008
    7:13:33 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 04, 2008
    7:13:33 AM

    C:\Documents and Settings\sadelizzi.BUILDING19>

    MANY thanks!
    sara

  5. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    On Aug 3, 9:21*am, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
    wrote:
> [...]

    > to have my hard drive put into a new laptop (Thinkpad T42) when the
    > screen/monitor died, so maybe that new "hardware" was missing the
    > WPA?
    >
    > This is not my area, so I apologize for the vague details. *I do know
    > that when I go into "Change Advanced Settings" and see "wireless
    > networks" and choose *"Properties" for the one I need to set up and
    > enter a PW, I only have "Open or Shared" for "Network Authentication"
    > and "WEP or Disabled" for Data Encryption. *My brother thought I
    > needed updates, but I have them all (did SP3 yesterday).
    >
    > I can get on at the airport and on a neighbor's wireless (they're
    > open). *RIght now I'm on using a lan cable.
    >
    > Does this info help? *And here's the ipconfig /all:
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\sadelizzi.BUILDING19>ipconfig /all

    I don't know how to disable windows WZC or install manufacturer's
    wireless utility. Can I get the utility on the Web? How do I find out
    who the manufacturer is?

    I assume by "Do you have WPA" you mean after I take the above 2
    steps? If you mean do I have it now, the answer is no, I think.

    Sara

  6. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    go to http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-42683.html and
    get drivers, utilities, etc. to manage this wireless card.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  7. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    On Aug 3, 4:15*pm, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > go tohttp://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-42683.htmland
    > get drivers, utilities, etc. to manage this wireless card.
    >
    > On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 04:31:04 -0700 (PDT), "saraqp...@yahoo.com"
    >
    > wrote:
    > > * Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Cisco Systems PCI Wireless
    > >LAN Adapt
    > >er

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    Isn't that for hardware? I thought all I needed is the WPA software.
    It was an update from Microsoft, but since I already loaded SP2, the
    system says that since I have SP2, I "must" already have the WPA
    software. Problem is I don't have WPA. Is there anyway to get the
    WPA update loaded onto my laptop even though I already have SP2 (and
    SP3) loaded (Windows XP Pro)?

    I was able to get my printer on the network, just not my laptop. I
    don't get the WPA as a choice - so I can't connect to the router.

    Sara

  8. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    Hi
    Windows gets the encryption options from the Wireless Card Drivers.
    If the card is Not WPA capable Windows would not offer it.
    Connect with a wire to your Router and disable or change the security to
    WEP.
    (The Router's manual should explain how to connect, and how to configure
    security).
    In general.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    > Hi -
    >
    > I have been using a Linksys router and connecting just fine. Now we
    > have a new router (Linksys) and it's password protected.
    >
    > I was told to set it up to choose "WPA" and I don't have that option.
    >
    > I went to Windows Downloads and took all the possible steps (I'm on
    > Windows XP - I had SP2, and loaded SP3) and still don't have WPA.
    >
    > I tried just the WPA download KB893357 and it says I already have the
    > SP that should have this in it.
    >
    > Is there some way I can get WPA onto my laptop? I am NOT technical -
    > just a [frustrsted] user!
    >
    > thanks -
    > Sara

  9. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    the card must have firmware that supports WPA and drivers that
    support it. if WPA does not display as an option, then you may need
    updated drivers. it is possible that this old old wireless card may
    not support WPA.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  10. Re: No WPA??!! Can't download

    In addition to Jack's excellent post, if one has XP SP2 and does not desire
    to install SP3, then there is a newer update to the WPA hotfix that can be
    found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021/en-us. The same or newer
    files are included in XP SP3, so you are good as far as XP is concerned, but
    you need to find out if the card in your laptop will handle WPA, and the
    only way to do that is to install the latest drivers, reboot, and check
    again.

    As others have noted, you must have the WPA patch AND a wireless card with
    drivers capable of WPA or WPA2, whichever you desire.

    You can only connect at the highest encryption supported by your **weakest**
    link. You have XP patched already, so you need the drivers updated or a new
    card capable of WPA.

    If your laptop is less than about three years old, you should be able to get
    drivers for the built-in card that will enable WPA2. Follow Barb Bowman's
    link http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-42683.html and install
    the latest drivers, then check to see if WPA is offered.

    Gregg Hill

    wrote in message
    On Aug 3, 4:15 pm, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > go tohttp://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-42683.htmland
    > get drivers, utilities, etc. to manage this wireless card.
    >
    > On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 04:31:04 -0700 (PDT), "saraqp...@yahoo.com"
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Cisco Systems PCI Wireless
    > >LAN Adapt
    > >er

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    Isn't that for hardware? I thought all I needed is the WPA software.
    It was an update from Microsoft, but since I already loaded SP2, the
    system says that since I have SP2, I "must" already have the WPA
    software. Problem is I don't have WPA. Is there anyway to get the
    WPA update loaded onto my laptop even though I already have SP2 (and
    SP3) loaded (Windows XP Pro)?

    I was able to get my printer on the network, just not my laptop. I
    don't get the WPA as a choice - so I can't connect to the router.

    Sara

+ Reply to Thread