Windows 2000 Not connecting to wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Windows 2000 Not connecting to wireless network - Wireless ; I am working on a W2K machine. Installed a D-Link wireless card and connected to a wireless network using the D-Link utility WEP security. Showed my father how to get email and his investments and all was fine. Left his ...

  1. Windows 2000 Not connecting to wireless network

    I am working on a W2K machine. Installed a D-Link wireless card and connected
    to a wireless network using the D-Link utility WEP security. Showed my
    father how to get email and his investments and all was fine. Left his house
    and got a call 2 days later... No connectivity to the internet. When over
    and tried to fix. D-Link will not connect to the AP anymore. Brought the
    machine to my house. Card sees the network in the Site survey but not in the
    Link Info. Bought another card "Linksys". This one doesn't even see there is
    a wireless network available. I know that there is one available because I
    am using it through my notebook to write this. Only thing that I did between
    the time the D-Link was working and when it stopped working was to put Norton
    Internet security 2005 on the machine. I have search all over the internet
    for a solution or explaination as to why this would happen.
    --
    Frustrated with computers altogether

  2. Re: Windows 2000 Not connecting to wireless network

    That's right, wireless networking can be frustrating more often than not.
    Fortunately, another technology exists that works very well
    for older systems such as win2000 or even win98 and less
    sophisticated users. This is powerline home network.

    I have this Intellon based 85 mbps starter kit
    http://www.devolo.com/co_EN_cs/produ...tarterkit.html

    Absolutely zero setup, no drivers to install, it works right out of the box.
    Warmly recommend it to all confused and losing battle with their wireless
    routers.

    Regards,
    --PA

    "mmanolef" wrote in message
    > I am working on a W2K machine. Installed a D-Link wireless card and
    > connected
    > to a wireless network using the D-Link utility WEP security. Showed my
    > father how to get email and his investments and all was fine. Left his
    > house
    > and got a call 2 days later... No connectivity to the internet. When over
    > and tried to fix. D-Link will not connect to the AP anymore. Brought the
    > machine to my house. Card sees the network in the Site survey but not in
    > the
    > Link Info. Bought another card "Linksys". This one doesn't even see there
    > is
    > a wireless network available. I know that there is one available because
    > am using it through my notebook to write this. Only thing that I did
    > between
    > the time the D-Link was working and when it stopped working was to put
    > Norton
    > Internet security 2005 on the machine. I have search all over the
    > internet
    > for a solution or explaination as to why this would happen.
    > --
    > Frustrated with computers altogether

  3. Re: Windows 2000 Not connecting to wireless network

    Hi
    I have few old laptop and one Desktop running Win2000 with Wireless using
    variety of hardware, and have No problem with any of them.
    Some of the Mega Security packages are notorious to cause "Havoc" with the
    Network capacity of Windows OS'.
    It might be a Trusted Zone issue, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
    Otherwise, get rid of the Norton and see if it works again.
    This is a good free Firewall that works well with Windows 2000.
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/index.php
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "mmanolef" wrote in message
    >I am working on a W2K machine. Installed a D-Link wireless card and
    >connected
    > to a wireless network using the D-Link utility WEP security. Showed my
    > father how to get email and his investments and all was fine. Left his
    > house
    > and got a call 2 days later... No connectivity to the internet. When over
    > and tried to fix. D-Link will not connect to the AP anymore. Brought the
    > machine to my house. Card sees the network in the Site survey but not in
    > the
    > Link Info. Bought another card "Linksys". This one doesn't even see there
    > is
    > a wireless network available. I know that there is one available because
    > am using it through my notebook to write this. Only thing that I did
    > between
    > the time the D-Link was working and when it stopped working was to put
    > Norton
    > Internet security 2005 on the machine. I have search all over the
    > internet
    > for a solution or explaination as to why this would happen.
    > --
    > Frustrated with computers altogether

  4. Re: Windows 2000 Not connecting to wireless network

    On Aug 2, 7:11*pm, mmanolef
    wrote:
    > I am working on a W2K machine. Installed a D-Link wireless card and connected
    > to a wireless network using the D-Link utility WEP security. *Showed my
    > father how to get email and his investments and all was fine. *Left hishouse
    > and got a call 2 days later... No connectivity to the internet. *When over
    > and tried to fix. *D-Link will not connect to the AP anymore. *Brought the
    > machine to my house. *Card sees the network in the Site survey but not in the
    > Link Info. *Bought another card "Linksys". This one doesn't even see there is
    > a wireless network available. *I know that there is one available because I
    > am using it through my notebook to write this. *Only thing that I did between
    > the time the D-Link was working and when it stopped working was to put Norton
    > Internet security 2005 on the machine. *I have search all over the internet
    > for a solution or explaination as to why this would happen.
    > --
    > Frustrated with computers altogether

    Seen this! Norton Internet Security (NIS) installs an advanced
    firewall module which you need to tell it which network SSID to
    permit. Otherwise, the firewall will "deauthenticate" the wireless
    network at the router (for the PC with NIS) and then "remove" the SSID
    from the list of available wireless networks.

    NIS firewall may have placed the wireless network SSID into the
    "protected" networks but for it to work, it may need to be in the
    "shared" section.

  5. Re: Windows 2000 Not connecting to wireless network

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Aug 2, 7:11 pm, mmanolef
    > wrote:
    > > I am working on a W2K machine. Installed a D-Link wireless card and connected
    > > to a wireless network using the D-Link utility WEP security. Showed my
    > > father how to get email and his investments and all was fine. Left his house
    > > and got a call 2 days later... No connectivity to the internet. When over
    > > and tried to fix. D-Link will not connect to the AP anymore. Brought the
    > > machine to my house. Card sees the network in the Site survey but not in the
    > > Link Info. Bought another card "Linksys". This one doesn't even see there is
    > > a wireless network available. I know that there is one available because I
    > > am using it through my notebook to write this. Only thing that I did between
    > > the time the D-Link was working and when it stopped working was to put Norton
    > > Internet security 2005 on the machine. I have search all over the internet
    > > for a solution or explaination as to why this would happen.
    > > --
    > > Frustrated with computers altogether

    > Seen this! Norton Internet Security (NIS) installs an advanced
    > firewall module which you need to tell it which network SSID to
    > permit. Otherwise, the firewall will "deauthenticate" the wireless
    > network at the router (for the PC with NIS) and then "remove" the SSID
    > from the list of available wireless networks.
    >
    > NIS firewall may have placed the wireless network SSID into the
    > "protected" networks but for it to work, it may need to be in the
    > "shared" section.

  6. RE: Windows 2000 Not connecting to wireless network

    "mmanolef" wrote:

    > I am working on a W2K machine. Installed a D-Link wireless card and connected
    > to a wireless network using the D-Link utility WEP security. Showed my
    > father how to get email and his investments and all was fine. Left his house
    > and got a call 2 days later... No connectivity to the internet. When over
    > and tried to fix. D-Link will not connect to the AP anymore. Brought the
    > machine to my house. Card sees the network in the Site survey but not in the
    > Link Info. Bought another card "Linksys". This one doesn't even see there is
    > a wireless network available. I know that there is one available because I
    > am using it through my notebook to write this. Only thing that I did between
    > the time the D-Link was working and when it stopped working was to put Norton
    > Internet security 2005 on the machine. I have search all over the internet
    > for a solution or explaination as to why this would happen.
    > --
    > Frustrated with computers altogether

+ Reply to Thread