Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network - Wireless ; I'm having trouble getting one of my computers to access the internet via my wireless network. My first computer connected and accesses the web no problem. I installed the wireless dongle on my second computer no problem and it says ...

  1. Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    I'm having trouble getting one of my computers to access the internet
    via my wireless network. My first computer connected and accesses the
    web no problem. I installed the wireless dongle on my second computer
    no problem and it says that it connects with a strong signal. The
    problem I have is that for a number of web sites I try to connect via
    a browser and it eventually "times out" and says that it can't
    connect. The same web sites connect no problem over the wireless on
    the other computer. When I ran the XP utility to analyze my
    connection it came back as saying that it couldn't connect over http,
    https, or ftp and called out ports 80 and two others (135 I think and
    another I can't recall) saying I may be blocked via firewall. The
    Windows firewall was on but I couldn't turn it off because it was set
    via group policy (it was off on the other computer). I disabled the
    Windows firewall by:

    From the Start menu, select Run, then enter gpedit.msc.
    Expand the Computer Configuration folder, then the Administrative
    Templates folder.
    Expand the Network folder, then the Network Connections folder, then
    the Windows Firewall folder.
    Select the Standard Profile folder.
    Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    option.
    Select Disabled, then click OK.
    Select the Domain Profile folder.
    Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    option.
    Select Disabled, then click OK.
    Close the Group Policy dialog box.

    I confirmed the firewall was disabled but I still have the same
    problem. It seems like something is blocking the loading of certain
    sites but I can't figure out why - I can load my geocities home page
    and msn.com but when I go to my ISP's home page to check mail via the
    web it doesn't work, same with many other pages like eBay. Can anyone
    help?

    Adam

  2. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    Since this computer has group policy,
    it may very well have some site blocker. Ask your admin.

    Regards,
    --PA

    AdamE wrote:
    > I'm having trouble getting one of my computers to access the internet
    > via my wireless network. My first computer connected and accesses the
    > web no problem. I installed the wireless dongle on my second computer
    > no problem and it says that it connects with a strong signal. The
    > problem I have is that for a number of web sites I try to connect via
    > a browser and it eventually "times out" and says that it can't
    > connect. The same web sites connect no problem over the wireless on
    > the other computer. When I ran the XP utility to analyze my
    > connection it came back as saying that it couldn't connect over http,
    > https, or ftp and called out ports 80 and two others (135 I think and
    > another I can't recall) saying I may be blocked via firewall. The
    > Windows firewall was on but I couldn't turn it off because it was set
    > via group policy (it was off on the other computer). I disabled the
    > Windows firewall by:
    >
    > From the Start menu, select Run, then enter gpedit.msc.
    > Expand the Computer Configuration folder, then the Administrative
    > Templates folder.
    > Expand the Network folder, then the Network Connections folder, then
    > the Windows Firewall folder.
    > Select the Standard Profile folder.
    > Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    > option.
    > Select Disabled, then click OK.
    > Select the Domain Profile folder.
    > Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    > option.
    > Select Disabled, then click OK.
    > Close the Group Policy dialog box.
    >
    > I confirmed the firewall was disabled but I still have the same
    > problem. It seems like something is blocking the loading of certain
    > sites but I can't figure out why - I can load my geocities home page
    > and msn.com but when I go to my ISP's home page to check mail via the
    > web it doesn't work, same with many other pages like eBay. Can anyone
    > help?
    >
    > Adam

  3. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    Interesting - the wierd thing is that I am the admin, it's not part of
    a network of PCs, it's my personal computer, and I have no idea why it
    has a group policy or even how to switch it to individual policy. Can
    you tell me how to:

    1. See if there is a site blocker.
    2. Turn off the group policy.

    Thanks!

    Adam

  4. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    Did you check if there's anything in the HOSTS file?

    "AdamE" wrote in message
    > I'm having trouble getting one of my computers to access the internet
    > via my wireless network. My first computer connected and accesses the
    > web no problem. I installed the wireless dongle on my second computer
    > no problem and it says that it connects with a strong signal. The
    > problem I have is that for a number of web sites I try to connect via
    > a browser and it eventually "times out" and says that it can't
    > connect. The same web sites connect no problem over the wireless on
    > the other computer. When I ran the XP utility to analyze my
    > connection it came back as saying that it couldn't connect over http,
    > https, or ftp and called out ports 80 and two others (135 I think and
    > another I can't recall) saying I may be blocked via firewall. The
    > Windows firewall was on but I couldn't turn it off because it was set
    > via group policy (it was off on the other computer). I disabled the
    > Windows firewall by:
    >
    > From the Start menu, select Run, then enter gpedit.msc.
    > Expand the Computer Configuration folder, then the Administrative
    > Templates folder.
    > Expand the Network folder, then the Network Connections folder, then
    > the Windows Firewall folder.
    > Select the Standard Profile folder.
    > Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    > option.
    > Select Disabled, then click OK.
    > Select the Domain Profile folder.
    > Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    > option.
    > Select Disabled, then click OK.
    > Close the Group Policy dialog box.
    >
    > I confirmed the firewall was disabled but I still have the same
    > problem. It seems like something is blocking the loading of certain
    > sites but I can't figure out why - I can load my geocities home page
    > and msn.com but when I go to my ISP's home page to check mail via the
    > web it doesn't work, same with many other pages like eBay. Can anyone
    > help?
    >
    > Adam

  5. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    What is the HOST file and where would I find it? What I don't
    understand is why the computer worked fine when connected via hard-
    wire to the cable modem and now that I'm going wireless it wont load
    certain sites. This implies it isn't a firewall issue or a site
    blocking issue because then the web sites wouldn't have worked in the
    hard-wired case. It almost seems like something from a Windows setup
    perspective is hosing the wireless network from communicating with the
    browser.

    Adam

  6. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    "AdamE" wrote in message
    > What is the HOST file and where would I find it?

    Ok, based on your reply below, I conclude that hosts file isn't the culprit.
    FYI, hosts file is located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

    > What I don't
    > understand is why the computer worked fine when connected via hard-
    > wire to the cable modem and now that I'm going wireless it wont load
    > certain sites.

    Is your cable modem also a wireless access point?

    > This implies it isn't a firewall issue or a site
    > blocking issue because then the web sites wouldn't have worked in the
    > hard-wired case.

    I agree. So you've narrowed down the problem to wifi connection. It's either
    the wifi adapter on your PC or your wireless access point configuration. Are
    you using the latest driver for your wireless adapter?

  7. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    John,

    The cable modem is not a wireless access point as far as I can tell.
    I'm not convinced it's the adapter because the other PC works
    perfectly with the same adapter (literally just switching the dongle
    to the other PC's USB input port). When you say the wireless access
    point configuration, do you mean the router itself? If so, I would
    argue against that for the same reason as arguing against the adapter/
    dongle. Is there a "wireless access point configuration" in XP? That
    seems the likely problem since the setup works fine without wireless
    and barfs with wireless using the same router, dongle, and browsers as
    the PC that works with the wireless.

    Thanks again for all the help/discussion!

    Adam

  8. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    Good point, Adam.

    So the problem is narrowed down to the PC itself. The fact that you must use
    gpedit.msc to disable wifi is a bit unusual. A standalone computer normally
    doesn't have any policy imposed on it. Did the computer ever join a domain
    once in the past? It might have picked up a filtering policy from a windows
    domain. But that doesn't explain why you have no problem surfing when the
    computer is hard wired. Weird.

    One last thing that you might want to try is to manually uninstall wifi
    adapter from that problem computer. Restart and reinstall wifi adapter.
    Restart and (re)join your wifi network. I'm getting as confused as you are
    now. Sorry.

    "AdamE" wrote in message
    > John,
    >
    > The cable modem is not a wireless access point as far as I can tell.
    > I'm not convinced it's the adapter because the other PC works
    > perfectly with the same adapter (literally just switching the dongle
    > to the other PC's USB input port). When you say the wireless access
    > point configuration, do you mean the router itself? If so, I would
    > argue against that for the same reason as arguing against the adapter/
    > dongle. Is there a "wireless access point configuration" in XP? That
    > seems the likely problem since the setup works fine without wireless
    > and barfs with wireless using the same router, dongle, and browsers as
    > the PC that works with the wireless.
    >
    > Thanks again for all the help/discussion!
    >
    > Adam

  9. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    "AdamE" wrote in message
    > I'm having trouble getting one of my computers to access the internet
    > via my wireless network. My first computer connected and accesses the
    > web no problem. I installed the wireless dongle on my second computer
    > no problem and it says that it connects with a strong signal. The
    > problem I have is that for a number of web sites I try to connect via
    > a browser and it eventually "times out" and says that it can't
    > connect. The same web sites connect no problem over the wireless on
    > the other computer. When I ran the XP utility to analyze my
    > connection it came back as saying that it couldn't connect over http,
    > https, or ftp and called out ports 80 and two others (135 I think and
    > another I can't recall) saying I may be blocked via firewall. The
    > Windows firewall was on but I couldn't turn it off because it was set
    > via group policy (it was off on the other computer). I disabled the
    > Windows firewall by:
    >
    > From the Start menu, select Run, then enter gpedit.msc.
    > Expand the Computer Configuration folder, then the Administrative
    > Templates folder.
    > Expand the Network folder, then the Network Connections folder, then
    > the Windows Firewall folder.
    > Select the Standard Profile folder.
    > Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    > option.
    > Select Disabled, then click OK.
    > Select the Domain Profile folder.
    > Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    > option.
    > Select Disabled, then click OK.
    > Close the Group Policy dialog box.
    >
    > I confirmed the firewall was disabled but I still have the same
    > problem. It seems like something is blocking the loading of certain
    > sites but I can't figure out why - I can load my geocities home page
    > and msn.com but when I go to my ISP's home page to check mail via the
    > web it doesn't work, same with many other pages like eBay. Can anyone
    > help?
    >
    > Adam

    what other, if any, IS are you using, Norton, AVG, Kaspersky etc. Do all
    comps have the same IS. If so are all set to accept the same apps. Sorry but
    why have a group policy if its only your home network.

    You say for a number of web sites you try to connect via a
    browser.............is there any other way ? What is your browser and do
    you use the same on the other comps.

  10. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    Hi
    First step is the insure that you have a Wireless connection between the
    Computer and the Wireless source.
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "AdamE" wrote in message
    > I'm having trouble getting one of my computers to access the internet
    > via my wireless network. My first computer connected and accesses the
    > web no problem. I installed the wireless dongle on my second computer
    > no problem and it says that it connects with a strong signal. The
    > problem I have is that for a number of web sites I try to connect via
    > a browser and it eventually "times out" and says that it can't
    > connect. The same web sites connect no problem over the wireless on
    > the other computer. When I ran the XP utility to analyze my
    > connection it came back as saying that it couldn't connect over http,
    > https, or ftp and called out ports 80 and two others (135 I think and
    > another I can't recall) saying I may be blocked via firewall. The
    > Windows firewall was on but I couldn't turn it off because it was set
    > via group policy (it was off on the other computer). I disabled the
    > Windows firewall by:
    >
    > From the Start menu, select Run, then enter gpedit.msc.
    > Expand the Computer Configuration folder, then the Administrative
    > Templates folder.
    > Expand the Network folder, then the Network Connections folder, then
    > the Windows Firewall folder.
    > Select the Standard Profile folder.
    > Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    > option.
    > Select Disabled, then click OK.
    > Select the Domain Profile folder.
    > Double-click the Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
    > option.
    > Select Disabled, then click OK.
    > Close the Group Policy dialog box.
    >
    > I confirmed the firewall was disabled but I still have the same
    > problem. It seems like something is blocking the loading of certain
    > sites but I can't figure out why - I can load my geocities home page
    > and msn.com but when I go to my ISP's home page to check mail via the
    > web it doesn't work, same with many other pages like eBay. Can anyone
    > help?
    >
    > Adam

  11. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    OK a bunch of answers:

    1. I used gpedit.msc to disable the Windows firewall. I have no idea
    why it had a group policy, I didn't set the computer up originally, it
    was a "hand me down".
    2. I did try a full uninstall-reinstall and still no luck. When this
    didn't work I reconnected the wired network access (no wireless) and
    it works like a champ.
    3. The only other software I'm using is Norton for anti-virus. Both
    computers are running Norton, same version and both fully updated
    (same installation disks) and neither have any outgoing firewalls
    running.
    4. For browsers I've tried IE (7 I think) and Netscape 7.2, both
    exhibit the same behavior.
    5. I definitely have a wireless connection as I was able to ping over
    the wireless.

    Adam

  12. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    "AdamE" wrote in message
    > OK a bunch of answers:
    >
    > 1. I used gpedit.msc to disable the Windows firewall. I have no idea
    > why it had a group policy, I didn't set the computer up originally, it
    > was a "hand me down".
    > 2. I did try a full uninstall-reinstall and still no luck. When this
    > didn't work I reconnected the wired network access (no wireless) and
    > it works like a champ.
    > 3. The only other software I'm using is Norton for anti-virus. Both
    > computers are running Norton, same version and both fully updated
    > (same installation disks) and neither have any outgoing firewalls
    > running.
    > 4. For browsers I've tried IE (7 I think) and Netscape 7.2, both
    > exhibit the same behavior.
    > 5. I definitely have a wireless connection as I was able to ping over
    > the wireless.
    >
    > Adam

    Adam, I am still a little confused with your statement where you say you
    can't connect to "some" web sites.............does this mean you can connect
    to some while on wireless.

    If ever I have a wireless connection problem I always reset the router. That
    is, switch it off, put paper clip into the reset hole and fire back up while
    maintaining paper clip pressure for at least 10 seconds. I think most
    routers use this reset method. Then go through the routers finite setting to
    install any security WEP or WAP passwords. Then re-establish settings on the
    notebook with the same passwords etc. Also make sure you have the channels
    set the same and infrastructure mode enabled.

    Remember, to close down and restart after any adjustments. This is the cure
    for 90% of connection problems.

  13. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    Yes you are 100% correct - I can connect to some web sites, like
    msn.com or geocities.com, while others wont connect while on the
    wireless network and I get a Windows XP message about unable to
    connect, maybe I typed the URL wrong or that the site is down or that
    the network is down when none of which is the case. I have tried
    turning the router off and then on with no luck though I haven't tried
    the reset you describe. The kicker is the other computer works with
    the wireless just fine so I doubt the network is the problem. I'm
    fairly certain there is a configuration issue on the PC side but for
    the life of me I can't figure out what it is.

    Adam

  14. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    "AdamE" wrote in message
    > Yes you are 100% correct - I can connect to some web sites, like
    > msn.com or geocities.com, while others wont connect while on the
    > wireless network and I get a Windows XP message about unable to
    > connect, maybe I typed the URL wrong or that the site is down or that
    > the network is down when none of which is the case. I have tried
    > turning the router off and then on with no luck though I haven't tried
    > the reset you describe. The kicker is the other computer works with
    > the wireless just fine so I doubt the network is the problem. I'm
    > fairly certain there is a configuration issue on the PC side but for
    > the life of me I can't figure out what it is.
    >
    > Adam

    but like you say if it is only happening to some web sites then what can it
    be. I am out for a while but will continue to think.

  15. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    Right, that's the wierd part. I'm wondering if there is either some
    sort of packet dropping, filtering, or just slow web sites due to
    scripts/Java/whatever that is causing the browsers to be "time out" on
    the page load where this doesn't happen on a direct network
    connection. Aside from that, I'm stumped.

    Adam

  16. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    On Jul 30, 1:42*pm, AdamE wrote:
    > Right, that's the wierd part. *I'm wondering if there is either some
    > sort of packet dropping, filtering, or just slow web sites due to
    > scripts/Java/whatever that is causing the browsers to be "time out" on
    > the page load where this doesn't happen on a direct network
    > connection. *Aside from that, I'm stumped.
    >
    > Adam

    A few things:

    1) If you have SP2 / SP3 installed, the Windows firewall will
    automatically be active once your PC is first booted with this Service
    pack installed.

    2) Some "newer" anti-virus software adds modules to scan network
    traffic. Check in your anti-virus system

    3) If you use some type of Internet security software (such as Norton
    360,) there might be a module added to your network adapter
    configuration which will "filter" the traffic.

    4) Also with some Internet security software (IE: Norton 360) some
    newer firewall modules might need to be told to "trust" the wireless
    SSID. Otherwise, check the router's status logs for the
    "deauthenticate" message(s.) If you see one, then your software
    firewall is at fault.

  17. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 05:42:02 -0700 (PDT), AdamE
    wrote:

    >Right, that's the wierd part. I'm wondering if there is either some
    >sort of packet dropping, filtering, or just slow web sites due to
    >scripts/Java/whatever that is causing the browsers to be "time out" on
    >the page load where this doesn't happen on a direct network
    >connection. Aside from that, I'm stumped.

    Some websites being accessible while others are not is symptomatic of
    the MTU problem detailed here.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk17...80093bc7.shtml

    Jim.

  18. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    Jim,

    I tried the utility but had no luck - is it a CISCO only thing?

    Adam

  19. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    On Jul 31, 1:15*pm, AdamE wrote:
    > Jim,
    >
    > I tried the utility but had no luck - is it a CISCO only thing?
    >
    > Adam

    Step 1 -- Yes, it CISCO only change but you can "adjust" it to meet
    your router's settings.

  20. Re: Can't connect to certain web sites over wireless network

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 05:15:23 -0700 (PDT), AdamE
    wrote:

    >Jim,
    >
    >I tried the utility but had no luck - is it a CISCO only thing?

    Not as far as I'm aware.

    It was a fairly common problem a while back causing *some* computers
    to have problems with *some* websites when using *some* isp's but not
    others.

    It's also adaptor specific and so might happen on wireless but not on
    wired. Just like yours.

    Perhaps you might try the tweak test at
    http://www.dslreports.com/tools
    with both your wired and wireless interfaces to see if that throws up
    anything interesting.

    Jim.

+ Reply to Thread