can't connect wireless - says i need a certificate - please help m - Wireless

This is a discussion on can't connect wireless - says i need a certificate - please help m - Wireless ; OK. Here is my problem. I am not that techno savvy but I know a little. I got a new laptop – using Vista. Gave my old laptop – using XP to my niece. Then I got a new router/modem ...

  1. can't connect wireless - says i need a certificate - please help m

    OK. Here is my problem. I am not that techno savvy but I know a little.

    I got a new laptop – using Vista. Gave my old laptop – using XP to my niece.

    Then I got a new router/modem – Linksys WAG160N.

    My new laptop connects fine – no problems there.

    The older laptop – cannot connect at all. I get a bubble error message
    saying "unable to find a certificate to log on to the network"

    I did some googling and downloaded a WINKB917021v3 as that is what everyone
    else seemed to do... and that didn't work either.

    This is really annoying. I have checked all the settings and they match and
    are fine. Have set and reset and done loads of troubleshooting.

    I called Linksys and they said they couldn't help!

    Does anyone know what to do?

  2. Re: can't connect wireless - says i need a certificate - please help m

    you probably have 802.11n authentication checked. uncheck it.
    and please, switch from WEP to WPA2 or at least WPA. WEP is unsafe.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  3. Re: can't connect wireless - says i need a certificate - please he

    No have been through all of that. Have got it on WPA-PSK and TKIP or AES -
    same as the router thing.

    Also took off the security.

    I have tried absolutely everything. It still keeps asking for a certificate!

    "Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > you probably have 802.11n authentication checked. uncheck it.
    > and please, switch from WEP to WPA2 or at least WPA. WEP is unsafe.
    >
    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:07:27 -0700, Lulu
    > wrote:
    >
    > >OK. Here is my problem. I am not that techno savvy but I know a little.
    > >
    > >I got a new laptop – using Vista. Gave my old laptop – using XP to my niece.
    > >
    > >Then I got a new router/modem – Linksys WAG160N.
    > >
    > >My new laptop connects fine – no problems there.
    > >
    > >The older laptop – cannot connect at all. I get a bubble error message
    > >saying "unable to find a certificate to log on to the network"
    > >
    > >I did some googling and downloaded a WINKB917021v3 as that is what everyone
    > >else seemed to do... and that didn't work either.
    > >
    > >This is really annoying. I have checked all the settings and they match and
    > >are fine. Have set and reset and done loads of troubleshooting.
    > >
    > >I called Linksys and they said they couldn't help!
    > >
    > >Does anyone know what to do?

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP
    > http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  4. Re: can't connect wireless - says i need a certificate - please he

    Lulu wrote:
    > No have been through all of that. Have got it on WPA-PSK and TKIP or AES -
    > same as the router thing.
    >
    > Also took off the security.
    >
    > I have tried absolutely everything. It still keeps asking for a certificate!
    >
    > "Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> you probably have 802.11n authentication checked. uncheck it.
    >> and please, switch from WEP to WPA2 or at least WPA. WEP is unsafe.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:07:27 -0700, Lulu
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK. Here is my problem. I am not that techno savvy but I know a little.
    >>>
    >>> I got a new laptop – using Vista. Gave my old laptop – using XP to my niece.
    >>>
    >>> Then I got a new router/modem – Linksys WAG160N.
    >>>
    >>> My new laptop connects fine – no problems there.
    >>>
    >>> The older laptop – cannot connect at all. I get a bubble error message
    >>> saying "unable to find a certificate to log on to the network"
    >>>
    >>> I did some googling and downloaded a WINKB917021v3 as that is what everyone
    >>> else seemed to do... and that didn't work either.
    >>>
    >>> This is really annoying. I have checked all the settings and they match and
    >>> are fine. Have set and reset and done loads of troubleshooting.
    >>>
    >>> I called Linksys and they said they couldn't help!
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know what to do?

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP
    >> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    Double check the screen shown in this pix and make sure that the box
    next to "Enable IEEE 802.11x ..." is NOT checked.
    http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...tication.shtml

    If you don't know how to get to that screen, open Windows Help and
    Support and search for "802.1x authentication".
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  5. Re: can't connect wireless - says i need a certificate - please he

    that message is related to 802.11n authentication. please recheck.

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 04:17:03 -0700, Lulu
    wrote:

    >No have been through all of that. Have got it on WPA-PSK and TKIP or AES -
    >same as the router thing.
    >
    >Also took off the security.
    >
    >I have tried absolutely everything. It still keeps asking for a certificate!
    >
    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> you probably have 802.11n authentication checked. uncheck it.
    >> and please, switch from WEP to WPA2 or at least WPA. WEP is unsafe.
    >>
    >> On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 22:07:27 -0700, Lulu
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >OK. Here is my problem. I am not that techno savvy but I know a little.
    >> >
    >> >I got a new laptop using Vista. Gave my old laptop using XP to my niece.
    >> >
    >> >Then I got a new router/modem Linksys WAG160N.
    >> >
    >> >My new laptop connects fine no problems there.
    >> >
    >> >The older laptop cannot connect at all. I get a bubble error message
    >> >saying "unable to find a certificate to log on to the network"
    >> >
    >> >I did some googling and downloaded a WINKB917021v3 as that is what everyone
    >> >else seemed to do... and that didn't work either.
    >> >
    >> >This is really annoying. I have checked all the settings and they match and
    >> >are fine. Have set and reset and done loads of troubleshooting.
    >> >
    >> >I called Linksys and they said they couldn't help!
    >> >
    >> >Does anyone know what to do?

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP
    >> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  6. Re: can't connect wireless - says i need a certificate - please he

    On Jul 28, 8:39*pm, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > that message is related to 802.11n authentication. please recheck.
    >
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 04:17:03 -0700, Lulu
    >

    > wrote:
    > >No have been through all of that. *Have got it on WPA-PSK and TKIP or AES -
    > >same as the router thing. *

    > >Also took off the security. *

    > >I have tried absolutely everything. *It still keeps asking for a certificate!

    > >"Barb Bowman" wrote:

    > >> you probably have 802.11n authentication checked. uncheck it.
    > >> and please, switch from WEP to WPA2 or at least WPA. WEP is unsafe.

    > >> --

    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS-MVP
    > >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    > >>http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
    > >>http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    Older Windows XP with SP2 installed, requires a separate WPA2 update
    (which is part of Service Pack 3 "SP3".)

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

+ Reply to Thread