involuntary disconnect and connections tray end program - Wireless

This is a discussion on involuntary disconnect and connections tray end program - Wireless ; When connected to AT&T wifi (at Starbucks or Coffee Bean cafes), the internet connection will terminate after 3-7 minutes. However, if I place the cursor on the wireless icon in the lower right hand tray, one of two things happens: ...

  1. involuntary disconnect and connections tray end program

    When connected to AT&T wifi (at Starbucks or Coffee Bean cafes), the internet
    connection will terminate after 3-7 minutes. However, if I place the cursor
    on the wireless icon in the lower right hand tray, one of two things happens:
    usually a box opens indicating I am still connected but sometimes I get no
    response. If I right click on the icon, nothing happens. If I go to Start,
    Connect to, and wireless connections, nothing happens. The only way I can
    restore a functioning connection is to shut down the machine. However, when
    I try to shut down the machine, a windows box opens indicating an attempt to
    end the connections tray. If I click end program, the box shuts and shut
    down proceeds. I do not have this problem when connecting to any other
    wireless network, whether at home, hotels, other hotspots, etc., etc. AT&T
    denies the problem is theirs and insists the problem has something to do with
    Windows XP. I have seen the problem mentioned in independent forums, but for
    older versions of XP. No successful solutions are provided in those forums.
    I am running Windows XP Professional; it came installed on the machine (a
    Lenovo T61p) when purchased in February. Any ideas what’s happening and how
    I can fix it?

  2. RE: involuntary disconnect and connections tray end program

    I've been having the exact same problem! Incredibly frustrating and
    inexplicable. I also have a Lenovo.

    I don't have any answers, but if you find a solution please let me know and
    I'll do the same.

    "jkl" wrote:

    > When connected to AT&T wifi (at Starbucks or Coffee Bean cafes), the internet
    > connection will terminate after 3-7 minutes. However, if I place the cursor
    > on the wireless icon in the lower right hand tray, one of two things happens:
    > usually a box opens indicating I am still connected but sometimes I get no
    > response. If I right click on the icon, nothing happens. If I go to Start,
    > Connect to, and wireless connections, nothing happens. The only way I can
    > restore a functioning connection is to shut down the machine. However, when
    > I try to shut down the machine, a windows box opens indicating an attempt to
    > end the connections tray. If I click end program, the box shuts and shut
    > down proceeds. I do not have this problem when connecting to any other
    > wireless network, whether at home, hotels, other hotspots, etc., etc. AT&T
    > denies the problem is theirs and insists the problem has something to do with
    > Windows XP. I have seen the problem mentioned in independent forums, but for
    > older versions of XP. No successful solutions are provided in those forums.
    > I am running Windows XP Professional; it came installed on the machine (a
    > Lenovo T61p) when purchased in February. Any ideas what’s happening and how
    > I can fix it?

  3. RE: involuntary disconnect and connections tray end program

    I have worked with Microsoft multiple times by phone and none of their
    technical personnel has any solution. They insisit it is not an XP problem,
    but Lenovo insists it is not a hardware problem and all the drivers are
    updated, etc., etc.. If you hear anything, please let me know. I'll do the
    same, but no one wants to "own" the problem. Frustrating.

    "sirwinh" wrote:

    > I've been having the exact same problem! Incredibly frustrating and
    > inexplicable. I also have a Lenovo.
    >
    > I don't have any answers, but if you find a solution please let me know and
    > I'll do the same.
    >
    > "jkl" wrote:
    >
    > > When connected to AT&T wifi (at Starbucks or Coffee Bean cafes), the internet
    > > connection will terminate after 3-7 minutes. However, if I place the cursor
    > > on the wireless icon in the lower right hand tray, one of two things happens:
    > > usually a box opens indicating I am still connected but sometimes I get no
    > > response. If I right click on the icon, nothing happens. If I go to Start,
    > > Connect to, and wireless connections, nothing happens. The only way I can
    > > restore a functioning connection is to shut down the machine. However, when
    > > I try to shut down the machine, a windows box opens indicating an attempt to
    > > end the connections tray. If I click end program, the box shuts and shut
    > > down proceeds. I do not have this problem when connecting to any other
    > > wireless network, whether at home, hotels, other hotspots, etc., etc. AT&T
    > > denies the problem is theirs and insists the problem has something to do with
    > > Windows XP. I have seen the problem mentioned in independent forums, but for
    > > older versions of XP. No successful solutions are provided in those forums.
    > > I am running Windows XP Professional; it came installed on the machine (a
    > > Lenovo T61p) when purchased in February. Any ideas what’s happening and how
    > > I can fix it?

  4. Re: involuntary disconnect and connections tray end program

    jkl wrote:
    > When connected to AT&T wifi (at Starbucks or Coffee Bean cafes), the internet
    > connection will terminate after 3-7 minutes. However, if I place the cursor
    > on the wireless icon in the lower right hand tray, one of two things happens:
    > usually a box opens indicating I am still connected but sometimes I getno
    > response. If I right click on the icon, nothing happens. If I go to Start,
    > Connect to, and wireless connections, nothing happens. The only way I can
    > restore a functioning connection is to shut down the machine. However,when
    > I try to shut down the machine, a windows box opens indicating an attempt to
    > end the connections tray. If I click end program, the box shuts and shut
    > down proceeds. I do not have this problem when connecting to any other
    > wireless network, whether at home, hotels, other hotspots, etc., etc. AT&T
    > denies the problem is theirs and insists the problem has something to do with
    > Windows XP. I have seen the problem mentioned in independent forums, but for
    > older versions of XP. No successful solutions are provided in those forums.
    > I am running Windows XP Professional; it came installed on the machine (a
    > Lenovo T61p) when purchased in February. Any ideas what’s happening and how
    > I can fix it?

    This Lenovo machine has Centrino or other wi-fi adapter?
    IMHO the manufacturer of the wi-fi adapter should look at this.
    Only they can find the root cause, be it AT&T, Windows, or maybe their
    own bug. Lenovo support can help to communicate this issue to the wi-fi
    vendor.

    Regards,
    --PA

  5. Re: involuntary disconnect and connections tray end program

    On Aug 18, 1:46*am, jkl wrote:
    > I have worked with Microsoft multiple times by phone and none of their
    > technical personnel has any solution. *They insisit it is not an XP problem,
    > but Lenovo insists it is not a hardware problem and all the drivers are
    > updated, etc., etc.. * If you hear anything, please let me know. *I'll do the
    > same, but no one wants to "own" the problem. *Frustrating.
    >
    > "sirwinh" wrote:
    > > I've been having the exact same problem! *Incredibly frustrating and
    > > inexplicable. *I also have a Lenovo.

    > > I don't have any answers, but if you find a solution please let me knowand
    > > I'll do the same.

    > > "jkl" wrote:

    > > > When connected to AT&T wifi (at Starbucks or Coffee Bean cafes), the internet
    > > > connection will terminate after 3-7 minutes. *However, if I place the cursor
    > > > on the wireless icon in the lower right hand tray, one of two things happens:
    > > > usually a box opens indicating I am still connected but sometimes I get no
    > > > response. *If I right click on the icon, nothing happens. *If I go to Start,
    > > > Connect to, and wireless connections, nothing happens. *The only way I can
    > > > restore a functioning connection is to shut down the machine. *However, when
    > > > I try to shut down the machine, a windows box opens indicating an attempt to
    > > > end the connections tray. *If I click end program, the box shuts and shut
    > > > down proceeds. *I do not have this problem when connecting to any other
    > > > wireless network, whether at home, hotels, other hotspots, etc., etc.*AT&T
    > > > denies the problem is theirs and insists the problem has something todo with
    > > > Windows XP. *I have seen the problem mentioned in independent forums, but for
    > > > older versions of XP. *No successful solutions are provided in those forums. *
    > > > I am running Windows XP Professional; it came installed on the machine (a
    > > > Lenovo T61p) when purchased in February. *Any ideas whats happening and how
    > > > I can fix it?

    I've seen this with my own home wireless network. What type of
    Internet security / anti-virus software are your using? I've been
    using Norton 360 and this was happening cosntantly. The firewall
    module with disconnect the wireless network because the SSID was not
    listed as a "trusted" / "shared" network. Because it was not trusted,
    the software was forcing a "deauthentication" at the router and
    blocked the discovery of my wireless network.

+ Reply to Thread