Best G Router for Home - Wireless

This is a discussion on Best G Router for Home - Wireless ; I am having range problems with my home router (Trendnet 432BRP B1) when WPA is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective range. So I am considering replacing the router if another router will give me better range with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Best G Router for Home

    I am having range problems with my home router (Trendnet 432BRP B1) when WPA
    is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective range. So I am
    considering replacing the router if another router will give me better range
    with WPA.

    Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a better
    option? My PCs have G adapters.

    Jeff

  2. Re: Best G Router for Home

    while you don't specify operating systems, if you want a new router
    that will work with Vista, start at
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=712&g=d
    and pick something from the list there.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  3. Re: Best G Router for Home

    Sorry, I forgot. I am on XP SP3.

    Jeff

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > while you don't specify operating systems, if you want a new router
    > that will work with Vista, start at
    > http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=712&g=d
    > and pick something from the list there.
    >
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 05:25:45 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >> I am having range problems with my home router (Trendnet 432BRP B1)
    >> when WPA is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective
    >> range. So I am considering replacing the router if another router
    >> will give me better range with WPA.
    >>
    >> Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a
    >> better option? My PCs have G adapters.
    >>
    >> Jeff

  4. Re: Best G Router for Home

    I am on XP SP3.

    I am looking for a G type router which would have better range than the one
    I now have. I assume some have better range than others.

    Jeff

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > while you don't specify operating systems, if you want a new router
    > that will work with Vista, start at
    > http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=712&g=d
    > and pick something from the list there.
    >
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 05:25:45 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >> I am having range problems with my home router (Trendnet 432BRP B1)
    >> when WPA is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective
    >> range. So I am considering replacing the router if another router
    >> will give me better range with WPA.
    >>
    >> Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a
    >> better option? My PCs have G adapters.
    >>
    >> Jeff

  5. Re: Best G Router for Home

    I would still suggest you pick from that list.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

  6. Re: Best G Router for Home

    Hi
    Zyxel 550 -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=zyxel%2b550
    ----------
    Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware providers, or
    and, the vendors that I mentioned above.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    wrote in message
    >I am having range problems with my home router (Trendnet 432BRP B1) when
    >WPA is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective range. So I
    >am considering replacing the router if another router will give me better
    >range with WPA.
    >
    > Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a better
    > option? My PCs have G adapters.
    >
    > Jeff

  7. Re: Best G Router for Home

    I've been using Linksys WRT54G (version 3.0) since summer 2005. I can't say
    it's the best router because I've never tested all routers but one thing I
    know for sure is that I've never had any problems with it since I got it.
    I've been using it to provide wifi connection to 2 notebooks and 2 desktops.

    IIRC, WRT54G after version 5 are bad. I've seen many complaints regarding
    connection issues etc. Get the L model (WRT54GL - linux based firmware)
    instead.

    wrote in message
    >I am having range problems with my home router (Trendnet 432BRP B1) when
    >WPA is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective range. So I
    >am considering replacing the router if another router will give me better
    >range with WPA.
    >
    > Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a better
    > option? My PCs have G adapters.
    >
    > Jeff

  8. Re: Best G Router for Home

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:29:59 -0400, Barb Bowman
    wrote:

    >>I would still suggest you pick from that list.
    >>
    >>On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:59:48 -0400, "Jeff@unknown.com"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am on XP SP3.
    >>>
    >>>I am looking for a G type router which would have better range than the one
    >>>I now have. I assume some have better range than others.
    >>>
    >>>Jeff

    "Windows Logo'd Products List
    The Windows Logo'd Products List is currently only compatible with
    Internet Explorer 6 and above. We apologize for the inconvenience."

    ?????? Kinda freakin' rude, ain't it?

    --
    The seabat
    Filtering GoogleGroups & Groupies with extreme prejudice!

  9. Re: Best G Router for Home

    The Seabat wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:29:59 -0400, Barb Bowman
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> I would still suggest you pick from that list.

    > "Windows Logo'd Products List
    > The Windows Logo'd Products List is currently only compatible with
    > Internet Explorer 6 and above. We apologize for the inconvenience."
    >
    > ?????? Kinda freakin' rude, ain't it?

    It is rude. I accessed it using Firefox ;-)

    Jeff

  10. Re: Best G Router for Home

    Sounds pretty impressive. I think I will get it. Never heard of it before
    and it is in none of my stores.

    To get a wider range does it need special adapters ("super G" or "extreme")
    or should I get a wider range with plain G adapters?

    Thank you Jack.

    Jeff

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Zyxel 550 -
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=zyxel%2b550
    > ----------
    > Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware providers,
    > or and, the vendors that I mentioned above.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >

    > wrote in message
    >> I am having range problems with my home router (Trendnet 432BRP B1)
    >> when WPA is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective
    >> range. So I am considering replacing the router if another router
    >> will give me better range with WPA.
    >>
    >> Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a
    >> better option? My PCs have G adapters.
    >>
    >> Jeff

  11. Re: Best G Router for Home

    Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    > Sounds pretty impressive. I think I will get it. Never heard of it before
    > and it is in none of my stores.
    >
    > To get a wider range does it need special adapters ("super G" or "extreme")
    > or should I get a wider range with plain G adapters?
    >
    > Thank you Jack.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Zyxel 550 -
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=zyxel%2b550
    >> ----------
    >> Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware providers,
    >> or and, the vendors that I mentioned above.
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>

    >> wrote in message
    >>> I am having range problems with my home router (Trendnet 432BRP B1)
    >>> when WPA is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective
    >>> range. So I am considering replacing the router if another router
    >>> will give me better range with WPA.
    >>>
    >>> Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a
    >>> better option? My PCs have G adapters.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

    In general, products that basically are wireless-G but claim to have
    better range or throughput use proprietary modifications to the IEEE
    802.11g standard. As such, they generally require the use of products
    in the same make and model line in order to achieve the claimed
    benefits. Usually, using such products with standard wireless-G adapter
    will get you standard wireless-G performance. However, ZyXEL claims
    otherwise:

    "When the X-550 connects with non XtremeMIMO products, it extends the
    range and raises the throughput."

    I assume those enhancements would be less than what you would get if you
    used the X-550 with ZyXEL's own XTremeMIMO adapters. I don't know what
    would happen if you took a chance and used adapters from Linksys,
    D-Link, or someone else that had "MIMO" or "RangeBoost" or a similar
    enhancement.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  12. Re: Best G Router for Home

    Lem wrote:
    > Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    >> Sounds pretty impressive. I think I will get it. Never heard of it
    >> before and it is in none of my stores.
    >>
    >> To get a wider range does it need special adapters ("super G" or
    >> "extreme") or should I get a wider range with plain G adapters?
    >>
    >> Thank you Jack.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Zyxel 550 -
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=zyxel%2b550
    >>> ----------
    >>> Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware
    >>> providers, or and, the vendors that I mentioned above.
    >>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>>

    >>> wrote in message

    > In general, products that basically are wireless-G but claim to have
    > better range or throughput use proprietary modifications to the IEEE
    > 802.11g standard. As such, they generally require the use of products
    > in the same make and model line in order to achieve the claimed
    > benefits. Usually, using such products with standard wireless-G
    > adapter will get you standard wireless-G performance. However, ZyXEL
    > claims otherwise:
    >
    > "When the X-550 connects with non XtremeMIMO products, it extends the
    > range and raises the throughput."
    >
    > I assume those enhancements would be less than what you would get if
    > you used the X-550 with ZyXEL's own XTremeMIMO adapters. I don't
    > know what would happen if you took a chance and used adapters from
    > Linksys, D-Link, or someone else that had "MIMO" or "RangeBoost" or a
    > similar enhancement.

    Thanks for the sage advice. I hear you.

    Jeff

  13. Re: Best G Router for Home

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:10:11 -0400, "Jeff@unknown.com"
    wrote:

    >>The Seabat wrote:

    >>> "Windows Logo'd Products List
    >>> The Windows Logo'd Products List is currently only compatible with
    >>> Internet Explorer 6 and above. We apologize for the inconvenience."
    >>>
    >>> ?????? Kinda freakin' rude, ain't it?

    >>It is rude. I accessed it using Firefox ;-)

    That's the browser of choice that I was using! Maybe I should have
    turned on all the scripts I have blocked and then it would have
    displayed properly? Naaawwwww, I'll pass.
    --
    The seabat
    Filtering GoogleGroups & Groupies with extreme prejudice!
    Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/

  14. Re: Best G Router for Home

    The Seabat wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:10:11 -0400, "Jeff@unknown.com"
    > wrote:

    >>> It is rude. I accessed it using Firefox ;-)

    > That's the browser of choice that I was using! Maybe I should have
    > turned on all the scripts I have blocked and then it would have
    > displayed properly? Naaawwwww, I'll pass.

    Or just click on the IE Tab addin and live dangerously ;-)

  15. Re: Best G Router for Home

    HI
    While in general Lem's notion are true. MIMO or not, the Zyxel mentioned
    above has a good radio and it is in general better than most of the current
    802.11g Wireless Router.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Lem" wrote in message

    Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    >> Sounds pretty impressive. I think I will get it. Never heard of it
    >> before and it is in none of my stores.
    >>
    >> To get a wider range does it need special adapters ("super G" or
    >> "extreme") or should I get a wider range with plain G adapters?
    >>
    >> Thank you Jack.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Zyxel 550 -
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=zyxel%2b550
    >>> ----------
    >>> Disclaimer: I have No connection with any of the Hardware providers,
    >>> or and, the vendors that I mentioned above.
    >>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>>

    >>> wrote in message

    > In general, products that basically are wireless-G but claim to have
    > better range or throughput use proprietary modifications to the IEEE
    > 802.11g standard. As such, they generally require the use of products in
    > the same make and model line in order to achieve the claimed benefits.
    > Usually, using such products with standard wireless-G adapter will get you
    > standard wireless-G performance. However, ZyXEL claims otherwise:
    >
    > "When the X-550 connects with non XtremeMIMO products, it extends the
    > range and raises the throughput."
    >
    > I assume those enhancements would be less than what you would get if you
    > used the X-550 with ZyXEL's own XTremeMIMO adapters. I don't know what
    > would happen if you took a chance and used adapters from Linksys, D-Link,
    > or someone else that had "MIMO" or "RangeBoost" or a similar enhancement.
    >
    > --
    > Lem -- MS-MVP

  16. Re: Best G Router for Home

    Thanks. On the other hand it seems to have had a problem with power burning
    out. Has that problem been resolved?

    Jeff

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > HI
    > While in general Lem's notion are true. MIMO or not, the Zyxel
    > mentioned above has a good radio and it is in general better than
    > most of the current 802.11g Wireless Router.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Lem" wrote in message
    >> Jeff@unknown.com wrote:
    >>> Sounds pretty impressive. I think I will get it. Never heard of it
    >>> before and it is in none of my stores.
    >>>
    >>> To get a wider range does it need special adapters ("super G" or
    >>> "extreme") or should I get a wider range with plain G adapters?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you Jack.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

    >> In general, products that basically are wireless-G but claim to have
    >> better range or throughput use proprietary modifications to the IEEE
    >> 802.11g standard. As such, they generally require the use of
    >> products in the same make and model line in order to achieve the
    >> claimed benefits. Usually, using such products with standard
    >> wireless-G adapter will get you standard wireless-G performance. However,
    >> ZyXEL claims otherwise: "When the X-550 connects with non XtremeMIMO
    >> products, it extends the
    >> range and raises the throughput."
    >>
    >> I assume those enhancements would be less than what you would get if
    >> you used the X-550 with ZyXEL's own XTremeMIMO adapters. I don't
    >> know what would happen if you took a chance and used adapters from
    >> Linksys, D-Link, or someone else that had "MIMO" or "RangeBoost" or
    >> a similar enhancement. --
    >> Lem -- MS-MVP
    >>
    >> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    >> http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

  17. Re: Best G Router for Home

    I would get a range expander or repeter as they are called. I don't
    find any router on the consumer market to have over 30 feet of range.
    I got the range max Netgear because it was supposed to have better
    range, not. If you use their NIC card maybe but you don't have that
    option with your PDA. I can barely get a connection fom my bedroom to
    the livingroom and this is a small house.

    John

    On Jul 23, 2:25*am, wrote:
    > I am having range problems with my homerouter(Trendnet 432BRP B1) when WPA
    > is implemented. *WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective range. *SoI am
    > considering replacing therouterif anotherrouterwill give me better range
    > with WPA.
    >
    > Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a better
    > option? *My PCs have G adapters.
    >
    > Jeff

  18. Re: Best G Router for Home

    FCC sets the power specs so all brands of G do the same thing. Higher gain
    antennas may help only a little

    G devices have a maximum range of around 350 feet or so *horizontally*. But
    a good usable range is only around 150 feet *horizontally*. Distance
    effects signal strength, signal strength effects speed, speed effects
    usefulness. Some building materials and other EM producing equipment can
    hinder it further. Don't forget that the Nic in the PC has to connect BACK
    to the Wireless device as well. It is not just the "router" getting out to
    the PCs,...it is also the PCs "getting out" to the "router".

    Repeaters will cut the speed in half for devices that have to use the
    repeater.

    To cover large areas, instead of repeaters or extenders just forget about
    the "wireless" firewall all-to-gether. Use a cabled-only firewal and run
    cables out from it in different directions from the firewall up to but not
    over 300 feet. Buy Wireless Access Points (not "routers") and put them on
    the cables. Users then use the WAP that they are the closest to.

    The idea of Wireless is to replace the *Patch Cables* between a PC and the
    Switch with a radio signal,...it isn't meant to replace the whole entire
    network. So you position Wireless Access Points in stategic postions just
    like you would stategically position Switches in a wired system.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    On Jul 23, 2:25 am, wrote:
    > I am having range problems with my homerouter(Trendnet 432BRP B1) when WPA
    > is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective range. So I am
    > considering replacing therouterif anotherrouterwill give me better range
    > with WPA.
    >
    > Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a better
    > option? My PCs have G adapters.
    >
    > Jeff

  19. Re: Best G Router for Home

    Hmmm...my Linksys WRT54G gives me 4 bars or better pretty much anywhere
    in my house or my backyard.

    Also some of the units have signal boosting antenna that add about 7db
    to the signal strength.

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    "John" wrote in message

    > I would get a range expander or repeter as they are called. I don't
    > find any router on the consumer market to have over 30 feet of range.
    > I got the range max Netgear because it was supposed to have better
    > range, not. If you use their NIC card maybe but you don't have that
    > option with your PDA. I can barely get a connection fom my bedroom to
    > the livingroom and this is a small house.
    >
    > John
    >
    > On Jul 23, 2:25 am, wrote:
    >
    > > I am having range problems with my homerouter(Trendnet 432BRP B1) when WPA
    > > is implemented. WPA seems to greatly reduce the effective range. So I am
    > > considering replacing therouterif anotherrouterwill give me better range
    > > with WPA.
    > >
    > > Is that a reasonable option or would a Range Expander (WRE54G) be a better
    > > option? My PCs have G adapters.
    > >
    > > Jeff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast