error 12007 - loss of internet connection - Wireless

This is a discussion on error 12007 - loss of internet connection - Wireless ; I'm running XP-SP2 with IE 7.0 and have internet connection through a wireless network. When I start up everything is working fine and I get a good wireless connection (54Mbps). However after after some time I cannot access the internet ...

  1. error 12007 - loss of internet connection

    I'm running XP-SP2 with IE 7.0 and have internet connection through a
    wireless network. When I start up everything is working fine and I get a good
    wireless connection (54Mbps). However after after some time I cannot access
    the internet anymore, Windows error 12007 and when I look into the logfile it
    mentions error with the "Winsock provider". I still have the wireless
    connection but IE will not work anymore. Need to restart to get it working
    again

    I have done the following but problem still persists;

    * Resetted and updated moden and router software
    * Disabled Windows firewall (still running McAfee)

    Can anyone give me some direction on how to resolve this issue which from
    what I have read in various posts might be software (Windows ? ) related.
    Just do not know how to tackle this problem.

    Thanks

  2. Re: error 12007 - loss of internet connection

    Have you tried to "repair" connection (right click on the connetcion icon ->
    repair) ?

    After this error occurs, can you use other internet programs?
    ( Skype, messenger, etc.)

    Btw, error 12007 is ERROR_INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED (in wininet.h)

    Regards,
    --PA

    "KClookalike" wrote in message
    > I'm running XP-SP2 with IE 7.0 and have internet connection through a
    > wireless network. When I start up everything is working fine and I get a
    > good
    > wireless connection (54Mbps). However after after some time I cannot
    > access
    > the internet anymore, Windows error 12007 and when I look into the logfile
    > it
    > mentions error with the "Winsock provider". I still have the wireless
    > connection but IE will not work anymore. Need to restart to get it working
    > again
    >
    > I have done the following but problem still persists;
    >
    > * Resetted and updated moden and router software
    > * Disabled Windows firewall (still running McAfee)
    >
    > Can anyone give me some direction on how to resolve this issue which from
    > what I have read in various posts might be software (Windows ? ) related.
    > Just do not know how to tackle this problem.
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: error 12007 - loss of internet connection

    Posting back the result of ipconfig /all may help. Or check this post.

    Can’t access Internet with error 12007
    http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4573

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "KClookalike" wrote in message
    > I'm running XP-SP2 with IE 7.0 and have internet connection through a
    > wireless network. When I start up everything is working fine and I get a
    > good
    > wireless connection (54Mbps). However after after some time I cannot
    > access
    > the internet anymore, Windows error 12007 and when I look into the logfile
    > it
    > mentions error with the "Winsock provider". I still have the wireless
    > connection but IE will not work anymore. Need to restart to get it working
    > again
    >
    > I have done the following but problem still persists;
    >
    > * Resetted and updated moden and router software
    > * Disabled Windows firewall (still running McAfee)
    >
    > Can anyone give me some direction on how to resolve this issue which from
    > what I have read in various posts might be software (Windows ? ) related.
    > Just do not know how to tackle this problem.
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Re: error 12007 - loss of internet connection

    The loss of internet connection is due to a winsock error. When I do reset
    the winsock settings and reboot everything does work fine again.

    However I keep having this problem returning. I have a good working
    connection and during downloading after a while do loose the connection
    again. I did already the following without much luck ;

    1) updated my modem and wireless card software
    2) disabled Windows XP firewall (still running McAfee)

    What is the right approach to prevent this winsock error from happening
    again ?

    Thanks for your help

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Posting back the result of ipconfig /all may help. Or check this post.
    >
    > Can’t access Internet with error 12007
    > http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4573
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "KClookalike" wrote in message
    > > I'm running XP-SP2 with IE 7.0 and have internet connection through a
    > > wireless network. When I start up everything is working fine and I get a
    > > good
    > > wireless connection (54Mbps). However after after some time I cannot
    > > access
    > > the internet anymore, Windows error 12007 and when I look into the logfile
    > > it
    > > mentions error with the "Winsock provider". I still have the wireless
    > > connection but IE will not work anymore. Need to restart to get it working
    > > again
    > >
    > > I have done the following but problem still persists;
    > >
    > > * Resetted and updated moden and router software
    > > * Disabled Windows firewall (still running McAfee)
    > >
    > > Can anyone give me some direction on how to resolve this issue which from
    > > what I have read in various posts might be software (Windows ? ) related.
    > > Just do not know how to tackle this problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks

  5. Re: error 12007 - loss of internet connection

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Posting back the result of ipconfig /all may help. Or check this post.
    >
    > Can’t access Internet with error 12007
    > http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=4573
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "KClookalike" wrote in message
    > > I'm running XP-SP2 with IE 7.0 and have internet connection through a
    > > wireless network. When I start up everything is working fine and I get a
    > > good
    > > wireless connection (54Mbps). However after after some time I cannot
    > > access
    > > the internet anymore, Windows error 12007 and when I look into the logfile
    > > it
    > > mentions error with the "Winsock provider". I still have the wireless
    > > connection but IE will not work anymore. Need to restart to get it working
    > > again
    > >
    > > I have done the following but problem still persists;
    > >
    > > * Resetted and updated moden and router software
    > > * Disabled Windows firewall (still running McAfee)
    > >
    > > Can anyone give me some direction on how to resolve this issue which from
    > > what I have read in various posts might be software (Windows ? ) related.
    > > Just do not know how to tackle this problem.
    > >
    > > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread