Computer won't connect to other networks - Wireless

This is a discussion on Computer won't connect to other networks - Wireless ; When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other wireless networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on "view available wireless networks" this is the message I get: "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you ...

  1. Computer won't connect to other networks

    When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other wireless
    networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on "view available
    wireless networks" this is the message I get:

    "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled
    another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you
    want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the wireless zero
    configuration service. For more information about starting the wzc service,
    see article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    site. "

    I have been to this site and I am completely confused at what I need to do
    in order to configure my computer to recognize wireless networks. Is this a
    simple fix?

  2. Re: Computer won't connect to other networks

    =?Utf-8?B?WmVybyBDbHVl?= Clue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in newsCBA3DC7-3FF4-45FA-9E92-78FAD40FAAE6@microsoft.com:

    > When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other
    > wireless networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on
    > "view available wireless networks" this is the message I get:
    >
    > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have
    > enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use
    > that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless
    > connection, start the wireless zero configuration service. For
    > more information about starting the wzc service, see article
    > 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    > site. "

    Believe it or else, in most cases this is perfectly normal. Windows
    comes with a "Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)" utility to manage
    the wireless connection. In many cases, the manufacturer of your
    wireless card/chipset has provided their own utility to replace the
    WZC utility -- this allows them to add functionality to control their
    version of the wireless chipset. When this is the case, you get the
    above error message when attempting to access WZC functions. What
    you need to do is look in your tray (next to the clock) and locate an
    icon belonging to the manufacturer's utility (HP, Broadcomm, Intel,
    Linksys, etc each have their own) and double click on that icon to
    launch the utility that manages your wireless connection.

    If you're still stuck, find out the manufacturer of your wireless
    card/chipset and visit their website for the latest version of their
    driver and control program.

    HTH,
    John

  3. Re: Computer won't connect to other networks

    We just had a similar case last weekend. The user called Dell tech support
    for over one hour, but could not make it work using the Dell wireless
    utility. The simple solution is disable the Dell wireless utility and setup
    wireless using WZC.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "John Wunderlich" wrote in message
    news:Xns9ADCEF28DC7D1wunderpsdrscray@207.46.248.16 ...
    > =?Utf-8?B?WmVybyBDbHVl?= Clue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in newsCBA3DC7-3FF4-45FA-9E92-78FAD40FAAE6@microsoft.com:
    >
    >> When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other
    >> wireless networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on
    >> "view available wireless networks" this is the message I get:
    >>
    >> "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have
    >> enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use
    >> that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless
    >> connection, start the wireless zero configuration service. For
    >> more information about starting the wzc service, see article
    >> 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    >> site. "
    >>

    > Believe it or else, in most cases this is perfectly normal. Windows
    > comes with a "Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)" utility to manage
    > the wireless connection. In many cases, the manufacturer of your
    > wireless card/chipset has provided their own utility to replace the
    > WZC utility -- this allows them to add functionality to control their
    > version of the wireless chipset. When this is the case, you get the
    > above error message when attempting to access WZC functions. What
    > you need to do is look in your tray (next to the clock) and locate an
    > icon belonging to the manufacturer's utility (HP, Broadcomm, Intel,
    > Linksys, etc each have their own) and double click on that icon to
    > launch the utility that manages your wireless connection.
    >
    > If you're still stuck, find out the manufacturer of your wireless
    > card/chipset and visit their website for the latest version of their
    > driver and control program.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

  4. Re: Computer won't connect to other networks

    But what if you're trying to connect to your own wireless circle and
    OneCare's firewall won't allow you to connect wifi to an additional PC?

    "John Wunderlich" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?WmVybyBDbHVl?= Clue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in newsCBA3DC7-3FF4-45FA-9E92-78FAD40FAAE6@microsoft.com:
    >
    > > When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other
    > > wireless networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on
    > > "view available wireless networks" this is the message I get:
    > >
    > > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have
    > > enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use
    > > that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless
    > > connection, start the wireless zero configuration service. For
    > > more information about starting the wzc service, see article
    > > 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    > > site. "
    > >

    > Believe it or else, in most cases this is perfectly normal. Windows
    > comes with a "Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)" utility to manage
    > the wireless connection. In many cases, the manufacturer of your
    > wireless card/chipset has provided their own utility to replace the
    > WZC utility -- this allows them to add functionality to control their
    > version of the wireless chipset. When this is the case, you get the
    > above error message when attempting to access WZC functions. What
    > you need to do is look in your tray (next to the clock) and locate an
    > icon belonging to the manufacturer's utility (HP, Broadcomm, Intel,
    > Linksys, etc each have their own) and double click on that icon to
    > launch the utility that manages your wireless connection.
    >
    > If you're still stuck, find out the manufacturer of your wireless
    > card/chipset and visit their website for the latest version of their
    > driver and control program.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

  5. Re: Computer won't connect to other networks

    I just love it when people pretend like they know what they're talking about.
    There is no Belkin icon in my tray, so it's pretty hard for me to click on
    it. Thanks John.

    "John Wunderlich" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?WmVybyBDbHVl?= Clue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in newsCBA3DC7-3FF4-45FA-9E92-78FAD40FAAE6@microsoft.com:
    >
    > > When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other
    > > wireless networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on
    > > "view available wireless networks" this is the message I get:
    > >
    > > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have
    > > enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use
    > > that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless
    > > connection, start the wireless zero configuration service. For
    > > more information about starting the wzc service, see article
    > > 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    > > site. "
    > >

    > Believe it or else, in most cases this is perfectly normal. Windows
    > comes with a "Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)" utility to manage
    > the wireless connection. In many cases, the manufacturer of your
    > wireless card/chipset has provided their own utility to replace the
    > WZC utility -- this allows them to add functionality to control their
    > version of the wireless chipset. When this is the case, you get the
    > above error message when attempting to access WZC functions. What
    > you need to do is look in your tray (next to the clock) and locate an
    > icon belonging to the manufacturer's utility (HP, Broadcomm, Intel,
    > Linksys, etc each have their own) and double click on that icon to
    > launch the utility that manages your wireless connection.
    >
    > If you're still stuck, find out the manufacturer of your wireless
    > card/chipset and visit their website for the latest version of their
    > driver and control program.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

  6. RE: Computer won't connect to other networks

    "Zero Clue" wrote:

    > When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other wireless
    > networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on "view available
    > wireless networks" this is the message I get:
    >
    > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled
    > another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you
    > want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the wireless zero
    > configuration service. For more information about starting the wzc service,
    > see article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    > site. "
    >
    > I have been to this site and I am completely confused at what I need to do
    > in order to configure my computer to recognize wireless networks. Is this a
    > simple fix?

  7. Re: Computer won't connect to other networks

    "Jeff S" wrote:

    > I just love it when people pretend like they know what they're talking about.
    > There is no Belkin icon in my tray, so it's pretty hard for me to click on
    > it. Thanks John.
    >
    > "John Wunderlich" wrote:
    > i know its just gay

    lol
    lol
    lol
    lol

    > > =?Utf-8?B?WmVybyBDbHVl?= Clue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > > in newsCBA3DC7-3FF4-45FA-9E92-78FAD40FAAE6@microsoft.com:
    > >
    > > > When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other
    > > > wireless networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on
    > > > "view available wireless networks" this is the message I get:
    > > >
    > > > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have
    > > > enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use
    > > > that software. If you want Windows to configure this wireless
    > > > connection, start the wireless zero configuration service. For
    > > > more information about starting the wzc service, see article
    > > > 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    > > > site. "
    > > >

    > > Believe it or else, in most cases this is perfectly normal. Windows
    > > comes with a "Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)" utility to manage
    > > the wireless connection. In many cases, the manufacturer of your
    > > wireless card/chipset has provided their own utility to replace the
    > > WZC utility -- this allows them to add functionality to control their
    > > version of the wireless chipset. When this is the case, you get the
    > > above error message when attempting to access WZC functions. What
    > > you need to do is look in your tray (next to the clock) and locate an
    > > icon belonging to the manufacturer's utility (HP, Broadcomm, Intel,
    > > Linksys, etc each have their own) and double click on that icon to
    > > launch the utility that manages your wireless connection.
    > >
    > > If you're still stuck, find out the manufacturer of your wireless
    > > card/chipset and visit their website for the latest version of their
    > > driver and control program.
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > John

  8. RE: Computer won't connect to other networks

    "Zero Clue" wrote:

    > When traveling, I'm having issues when trying to connect to other wireless
    > networks. At home, everything is fine. When I click on "view available
    > wireless networks" this is the message I get:
    >
    > "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled
    > another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software. If you
    > want Windows to configure this wireless connection, start the wireless zero
    > configuration service. For more information about starting the wzc service,
    > see article 871122 in the microsoft knowledge base on the microsoft.com web
    > site. "
    >
    > I have been to this site and I am completely confused at what I need to do
    > in order to configure my computer to recognize wireless networks. Is this a
    > simple fix?

+ Reply to Thread