Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524) - Wireless

This is a discussion on Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524) - Wireless ; I want to replace my SOHO router with the subject router so I can hang Guest AP's off of it and keep them off my LAN. Based on advice from the microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs newsgroup, I duplicated the settings frm the old ...

  1. Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524)

    I want to replace my SOHO router with the subject router so I can hang Guest
    AP's off of it and keep them off my LAN. Based on advice from the
    microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs newsgroup, I duplicated the settings frm
    the old router, enabled DHCP on it (for the range 192.168.1.100 - .191).
    The router IP is set to 192.168.1.1, and my external NIC is at 192.168.1.10.
    The internal LAN is at 192.168.16.0/24.

    Finally was able to get some network downtime to make the change in routers
    to try this out. I was unsuccessful. I am trying to use a D-Link DI-524
    wireless router, but - once connected to the SBS box and I've run CEICW, the
    WAN NIC goes through a 5-second cycle over and over - 2 seconds on/connected
    follwed by 3 seconds off/disconnected.
    I ran the ISA and SBS BPA's and didn't see anything. System logs jusdt show
    the NIC entering and exiting the connection state. I'm at a loss. Maybe
    it's that I have DHCP turned on for the wireless AP's, and it's competing
    with the SBS DHCP service?

    I put the old router back in service so I could work on this some more.

    Any idceas out there?

    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

  2. Re: Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524)

    Hi
    Best way to keep Wireless network private when providing for friends is to
    create segregated network with two Wireless routers.
    Here how - Network Segregation, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mike in Nebraska" wrote in message
    >I want to replace my SOHO router with the subject router so I can hang
    >Guest AP's off of it and keep them off my LAN. Based on advice from the
    >microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs newsgroup, I duplicated the settings
    >frm the old router, enabled DHCP on it (for the range 192.168.1.100 -
    >.191). The router IP is set to 192.168.1.1, and my external NIC is at
    >192.168.1.10. The internal LAN is at 192.168.16.0/24.
    >
    > Finally was able to get some network downtime to make the change in
    > routers to try this out. I was unsuccessful. I am trying to use a D-Link
    > DI-524 wireless router, but - once connected to the SBS box and I've run
    > CEICW, the WAN NIC goes through a 5-second cycle over and over - 2 seconds
    > on/connected follwed by 3 seconds off/disconnected.
    > I ran the ISA and SBS BPA's and didn't see anything. System logs jusdt
    > show the NIC entering and exiting the connection state. I'm at a loss.
    > Maybe it's that I have DHCP turned on for the wireless AP's, and it's
    > competing with the SBS DHCP service?
    >
    > I put the old router back in service so I could work on this some more.
    >
    > Any idceas out there?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Webb
    > Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    > a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization
    > Wood River, NE

  3. Re: Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524)

    Thanks for the tip!

    > Hi
    > Best way to keep Wireless network private when providing for friends is to
    > create segregated network with two Wireless routers.
    > Here how - Network Segregation, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike in Nebraska" wrote in message
    >>I want to replace my SOHO router with the subject router so I can hang
    >>Guest AP's off of it and keep them off my LAN. Based on advice from the
    >>microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs newsgroup, I duplicated the settings
    >>frm the old router, enabled DHCP on it (for the range 192.168.1.100 -
    >>.191). The router IP is set to 192.168.1.1, and my external NIC is at
    >>192.168.1.10. The internal LAN is at 192.168.16.0/24.
    >>
    >> Finally was able to get some network downtime to make the change in
    >> routers to try this out. I was unsuccessful. I am trying to use a
    >> D-Link DI-524 wireless router, but - once connected to the SBS box and
    >> I've run CEICW, the WAN NIC goes through a 5-second cycle over and over -
    >> 2 seconds on/connected follwed by 3 seconds off/disconnected.
    >> I ran the ISA and SBS BPA's and didn't see anything. System logs jusdt
    >> show the NIC entering and exiting the connection state. I'm at a loss.
    >> Maybe it's that I have DHCP turned on for the wireless AP's, and it's
    >> competing with the SBS DHCP service?
    >>
    >> I put the old router back in service so I could work on this some more.
    >>
    >> Any idceas out there?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Webb
    >> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >> a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization
    >> Wood River, NE

  4. Re: Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524)

    Here's a reply I got at microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs on this subject.
    I'd appreciate your comments:

    "I think this issue happens because you unable to get IP address from the
    DHCP running on the router. Since you have install the ISA server, the ISA
    by default block DHCP from external network. Therefore, I suggest you
    perform the following steps:

    1. Set the DHCP on the router, to make a exclusion of IP range. For example,
    your router assigns IP 192.168.100.X. Please make the router not assign IP
    like 192.168.100.10.

    2. Then, you can set the SBS use fix IP (192.168.100.10) by run the CEICW.

    Then, all guest wireless clients will get IP address from DHCP on the
    router, while the SBS use fix IP on external NIC to connect to the router.

    The DHCP running on SBS will only listening on internal NIC of SBS. It will
    assign another subnet (like 192.168.16.X) to internal cable or wireless
    clients.

    I hope these steps will give you some help.

    Thanks and have a nice day!

    Best regards,
    Terence Liu (MSFT)
    Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support"

    Mike
    > Hi
    > Best way to keep Wireless network private when providing for friends is to
    > create segregated network with two Wireless routers.
    > Here how - Network Segregation, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike in Nebraska" wrote in message
    >>I want to replace my SOHO router with the subject router so I can hang
    >>Guest AP's off of it and keep them off my LAN. Based on advice from the
    >>microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs newsgroup, I duplicated the settings
    >>frm the old router, enabled DHCP on it (for the range 192.168.1.100 -
    >>.191). The router IP is set to 192.168.1.1, and my external NIC is at
    >>192.168.1.10. The internal LAN is at 192.168.16.0/24.
    >>
    >> Finally was able to get some network downtime to make the change in
    >> routers to try this out. I was unsuccessful. I am trying to use a
    >> D-Link DI-524 wireless router, but - once connected to the SBS box and
    >> I've run CEICW, the WAN NIC goes through a 5-second cycle over and over -
    >> 2 seconds on/connected follwed by 3 seconds off/disconnected.
    >> I ran the ISA and SBS BPA's and didn't see anything. System logs jusdt
    >> show the NIC entering and exiting the connection state. I'm at a loss.
    >> Maybe it's that I have DHCP turned on for the wireless AP's, and it's
    >> competing with the SBS DHCP service?
    >>
    >> I put the old router back in service so I could work on this some more.
    >>
    >> Any idceas out there?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Webb
    >> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    >> a conservation non-profit (501 (c)(3)) organization
    >> Wood River, NE

+ Reply to Thread