Dumb Question about physical locationing of my Converter. - Wireless

This is a discussion on Dumb Question about physical locationing of my Converter. - Wireless ; Probably a really dumb question: I am connecting to the net via a USB Wireless Converter, and using unsecured networks. There are always 3 or 4 available.. These usually indicate a signal strength of 25% +/- Most of the time ...

  1. Dumb Question about physical locationing of my Converter.

    Probably a really dumb question:

    I am connecting to the net via a USB Wireless Converter, and using
    unsecured networks. There are always 3 or 4 available..

    These usually indicate a signal strength of 25% +/-

    Most of the time I have a pretty good connection, although the
    software says the signal is low. Compared to my Dial-Up it is
    stupendous. Downloading binaries from groups is now fantabulous!

    But sometimes I simply cannot connect, or the signal is so slow it is
    really useless. I just had three days where I could not connect, or
    the connection was seen as very low, and I kept getting disconnected
    and reconnected.

    So here is my question:

    I am wondering if there are optimum locations in my apartment for the
    converter.

    What is the best place to position the converter? Are there physical
    things in my home I should avoid the converter being near? Or, the
    converse, are there places or things that would possibly bring in a
    stronger signal.

    Thanks
    Steve

  2. Re: Dumb Question about physical locationing of my Converter.

    Hi
    Unfortunately what you are doing. I.e. using someone else Internet
    connection without permission, is considered an illegal action in many
    states.
    In some it is on a level of felony.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Seeker" wrote in message
    > Probably a really dumb question:
    >
    > I am connecting to the net via a USB Wireless Converter, and using
    > unsecured networks. There are always 3 or 4 available..
    >
    > These usually indicate a signal strength of 25% +/-
    >
    > Most of the time I have a pretty good connection, although the
    > software says the signal is low. Compared to my Dial-Up it is
    > stupendous. Downloading binaries from groups is now fantabulous!
    >
    > But sometimes I simply cannot connect, or the signal is so slow it is
    > really useless. I just had three days where I could not connect, or
    > the connection was seen as very low, and I kept getting disconnected
    > and reconnected.
    >
    > So here is my question:
    >
    > I am wondering if there are optimum locations in my apartment for the
    > converter.
    >
    > What is the best place to position the converter? Are there physical
    > things in my home I should avoid the converter being near? Or, the
    > converse, are there places or things that would possibly bring in a
    > stronger signal.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steve

+ Reply to Thread