Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista? - Wireless ; I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I know ...

  1. Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I
    know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. But with the Vista
    machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. Vista can tell
    that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    bars in the wireless connection window. It can also tell when I have
    changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    requirements of the network." But it just won't connect to the router
    using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. If I configure the router with
    WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.

    Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    WPA2 are working in Vista? If so, then it must be a problem with the
    PC60G wireless adapter. The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    have the latest driver installed for that. I even tried the latest
    MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    still did not work. MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    WPA2, but something is not working here.

  2. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    wrote in message
    >I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I
    > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. But with the Vista
    > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. Vista can tell
    > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > bars in the wireless connection window. It can also tell when I have
    > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > requirements of the network." But it just won't connect to the router
    > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. If I configure the router with
    > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.
    >
    > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > WPA2 are working in Vista? If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > PC60G wireless adapter. The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > have the latest driver installed for that. I even tried the latest
    > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > still did not work. MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > WPA2, but something is not working here.

    Yes. I use WPA encryption..

    --
    Mike Hall - MVP
    How to construct a good post..

  3. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I
    > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. But with the Vista
    > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. Vista can tell
    > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > bars in the wireless connection window. It can also tell when I have
    > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > requirements of the network." But it just won't connect to the router
    > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. If I configure the router with
    > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.
    >
    > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > WPA2 are working in Vista? If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > PC60G wireless adapter. The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > have the latest driver installed for that. I even tried the latest
    > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > still did not work. MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > WPA2, but something is not working here.

    I had a laptop working fine using Vista Business with WPA2 Personal and
    TKIP+AES. I blew off Vista to go back to XP for various other reasons.

  4. RE: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    They both work with Vista.
    1. Update your router's firmware at the Manufacturer's website, so it is
    fully vista compatible
    2. Get the latest Drivers for your Network Adaptor.
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

    "void.no.spam.com@gmail.com" wrote:

    > I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I
    > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. But with the Vista
    > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. Vista can tell
    > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > bars in the wireless connection window. It can also tell when I have
    > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > requirements of the network." But it just won't connect to the router
    > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. If I configure the router with
    > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.
    >
    > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > WPA2 are working in Vista? If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > PC60G wireless adapter. The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > have the latest driver installed for that. I even tried the latest
    > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > still did not work. MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > WPA2, but something is not working here.

  5. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    Pen wrote:
    > I had a laptop working fine using Vista Business with WPA2 Personal and
    > TKIP+AES. I blew off Vista to go back to XP for various other reasons.

    We use WPA-PSK/TKIP with XP, Vista and Linux.

  6. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I
    > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. But with the Vista
    > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. Vista can tell
    > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > bars in the wireless connection window. It can also tell when I have
    > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > requirements of the network." But it just won't connect to the router
    > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. If I configure the router with
    > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.
    >
    > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > WPA2 are working in Vista? If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > PC60G wireless adapter. The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > have the latest driver installed for that. I even tried the latest
    > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > still did not work. MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > WPA2, but something is not working here.

    I also have a Vista Home Premium SP1 machine which has an AR5007
    wireless card and have no problems with WPA2-PSK/AES encryption.
    Have you tried rolling back to pre-SP1 to see if it works and if it is
    the SP1 upgrade that is the problem as both sets of drivers are pre-SP1.

  7. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    >>I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    >> have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    >> unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I

    Is this apropos?

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222

  8. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    On Jul 13, 5:30 pm, w...@panix.com (the wharf rat) wrote:
    > >>I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. I
    > >> have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > >> unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. I

    > Is this apropos?
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935222

    It says the fix is part of SP1, which I have installed.

  9. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    On Jul 13, 4:19 pm, Mick Murphy
    wrote:
    > They both work with Vista.
    > 1. Update your router's firmware at the Manufacturer's website, so it is
    > fully vista compatible

    The router works with XP and WPA/WPA2 (I tested that), so it should
    work with Vista, since the router wouldn't know what OS the clients
    are running. I also saw someone saying they are using Vista with WPA2
    and a WRT54GL. But I can try upgrading to the latest firmware later.

    > 2. Get the latest Drivers for your Network Adaptor.

    Yes, I tried that and they still don't work.

  10. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    Some routers can not handle the newer Vista features - upgrade the
    firmware on the router

    void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 4:19 pm, Mick Murphy
    > wrote:
    >> They both work with Vista.
    >> 1. Update your router's firmware at the Manufacturer's website, so it is
    >> fully vista compatible

    > The router works with XP and WPA/WPA2 (I tested that), so it should
    > work with Vista, since the router wouldn't know what OS the clients
    > are running. I also saw someone saying they are using Vista with WPA2
    > and a WRT54GL. But I can try upgrading to the latest firmware later.
    >
    >> 2. Get the latest Drivers for your Network Adaptor.

    > Yes, I tried that and they still don't work.

  11. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    On Jul 13, 8:54*pm, "void.no.spam....@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. *I
    > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. *I
    > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. *But with the Vista
    > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. *Vista can tell
    > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > bars in the wireless connection window. *It can also tell when I have
    > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > requirements of the network." *But it just won't connect to the router
    > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. *If I configure the router with
    > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.
    >
    > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > WPA2 are working in Vista? *If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > PC60G wireless adapter. *The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > have the latest driver installed for that. *I even tried the latest
    > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > still did not work. *MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > WPA2, but something is not working here.

    What firewall software, if any, are you using on this Vista PC? I've
    encountered a firewall software that blocks wireless SSIDs if not told
    to trust it.

  12. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    On Jul 14, 11:24*am, smlunatick wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 8:54*pm, "void.no.spam....@gmail.com"
    >

    > wrote:
    > > I have Vista Home Premium with SP1 and all the updates installed. *I
    > > have a MSI PC60G wireless adapter, with the latest driver, and it is
    > > unable to connect to my Linksys WRT54GL router with WPA or WPA2. *I
    > > know that the router is working fine, because I can use an XP laptop
    > > to connect to the router using WPA or WPA2. *But with the Vista
    > > machine, it always shows a "The wireless network security key is not
    > > correct" when I use the diagnose option to see why it doesn't connect
    > > using WPA/AES or WPA/TKIP or WPA2/AES or WPA2/TKIP. *Vista can tell
    > > that the network is there, as it shows the network name with 5 green
    > > bars in the wireless connection window. *It can also tell when I have
    > > changed the security settings on the router, as it will say "The
    > > settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the
    > > requirements of the network." *But it just won't connect to the router
    > > using WPA or WPA2 for some reason. *If I configure the router with
    > > WEP, then Vista connects fine, but I want to use WPA or WPA2.

    > > Can someone please confirm that wireless connections using WPA and
    > > WPA2 are working in Vista? *If so, then it must be a problem with the
    > > PC60G wireless adapter. *The PC60G uses a Ralink RT2561 chip, and I
    > > have the latest driver installed for that. *I even tried the latest
    > > MSI driver, which is older than the latest Ralink driver, and that
    > > still did not work. *MSI says that the PC60G supports both Vista and
    > > WPA2, but something is not working here.

    > What firewall software, if any, are you using on this Vista PC? *I've
    > encountered a firewall software that blocks wireless SSIDs if not told
    > to trust it.

    The Windows Firewall. But WEP works on the computer. WPA and WPA2 do
    not work.

  13. Re: Does WPA and WPA2 wireless encryption work on Vista?

    Well, I tried it one more time tonight, and it worked. Bizarre. Hmm,
    yesterday I had been uninstalling and re-installing different versions
    of the wireless adapter drivers, and something must have gotten
    corrupted, because after all that, WEP wouldn't work anymore. So I
    did a System Restore. That must have also fixed WPA2, because it is
    working now.

+ Reply to Thread