Wireless Key problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Key problem - Wireless ; I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing is that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to which my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up the ...

  1. Wireless Key problem

    I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing is
    that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to which
    my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up the
    box for me to put my network key in.

    Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
    dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto reconnect?
    When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.

    I have gone into the advanced properties for my network and reentered the 14
    digit key, but this has not resolved the problem. This has always been the
    key since the PC was configured, so it cannot be using an old password from
    some forgotten file...

    Any thoughts? Thanks

  2. RE: Wireless Key problem

    Hey, I am having a problem with trying to connect a new computer to my
    wireless connection. Does anyone know a way to display the network password
    in its alphanumeric format rather than just dots, so I can type this network
    password into my new computer's internet connection???

    It is really frustrating me!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Sorry Ricky. I had to use your post as a way to get a post up there myself.
    Wish I could help you figure yours out.

    Thanks.

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing is
    > that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to which
    > my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up the
    > box for me to put my network key in.
    >
    > Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
    > dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto reconnect?
    > When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.
    >
    > I have gone into the advanced properties for my network and reentered the 14
    > digit key, but this has not resolved the problem. This has always been the
    > key since the PC was configured, so it cannot be using an old password from
    > some forgotten file...
    >
    > Any thoughts? Thanks

  3. Re: Wireless Key problem

    Obscuring the number of characters in your network key is part of security.
    Consider updating drivers for your wifi adapter. Could also be interference
    from other networks operating on the same channel or from nearby devices
    like 2.4GHz phones if you're running a b/g/n network.

    "Ricky" wrote in message
    >I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
    >is
    > that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
    > which
    > my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
    > the
    > box for me to put my network key in.
    >
    > Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
    > dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
    > reconnect?
    > When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.
    >
    > I have gone into the advanced properties for my network and reentered the
    > 14
    > digit key, but this has not resolved the problem. This has always been the
    > key since the PC was configured, so it cannot be using an old password
    > from
    > some forgotten file...
    >
    > Any thoughts? Thanks

  4. Re: Wireless Key problem

    Type your password in a text editor (eg: Notepad or something else if you're
    not using Windows).
    Copy the password
    paste it...
    (should I continue?)

    "CathyP" wrote in message
    > Hey, I am having a problem with trying to connect a new computer to my
    > wireless connection. Does anyone know a way to display the network
    > password
    > in its alphanumeric format rather than just dots, so I can type this
    > network
    > password into my new computer's internet connection???
    >
    > It is really frustrating me!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Sorry Ricky. I had to use your post as a way to get a post up there
    > myself.
    > Wish I could help you figure yours out.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Ricky" wrote:
    >
    >> I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
    >> is
    >> that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
    >> which
    >> my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
    >> the
    >> box for me to put my network key in.
    >>
    >> Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
    >> dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
    >> reconnect?
    >> When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.
    >>
    >> I have gone into the advanced properties for my network and reentered the
    >> 14
    >> digit key, but this has not resolved the problem. This has always been
    >> the
    >> key since the PC was configured, so it cannot be using an old password
    >> from
    >> some forgotten file...
    >>
    >> Any thoughts? Thanks

  5. Re: Wireless Key problem

    "Ricky" wrote in message
    >I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
    >is
    > that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
    > which
    > my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
    > the
    > box for me to put my network key in.

    Typically you only have to do this once. Your password is saved in your WiFi
    profile.

    > Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
    > dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
    > reconnect?

    Nope. The number of dots does not necessarily represent the length of your
    password. It's for security reason.

    > When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.

    It could be:
    - Interference
    - (Cheap) WiFi router (it's a wild guess)
    - It may take longer to connect but you're impatient and force it to connect
    by manually connecting and retyping your password

  6. Re: Wireless Key problem

    "John" wrote:

    > "Ricky" wrote in message
    > >I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
    > >is
    > > that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
    > > which
    > > my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it brings up
    > > the
    > > box for me to put my network key in.

    > Typically you only have to do this once. Your password is saved in your WiFi
    > profile.
    >
    > > Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
    > > dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
    > > reconnect?

    > Nope. The number of dots does not necessarily represent the length of your
    > password. It's for security reason.
    >
    > > When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.

    > It could be:
    > - Interference
    > - (Cheap) WiFi router (it's a wild guess)
    > - It may take longer to connect but you're impatient and force it to connect
    > by manually connecting and retyping your password

    John

    Thanks for your comments. I am happy to accept the number of dots has
    nothing to do with the actual key length.

    On your other comments...

    Interference - agree it is possible - how do I tell/do something about it?
    Wild guess wrong - not a cheap router. Its a Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless G
    Timing: No, it just doesn't...
    Impatient? I'm definitely getting there.... but I have given it time to
    connect. Usually it connects it before the PC has completed all it's startup
    tasks, but even giving it 2 minutes doesn't do the trick...

  7. Re: Wireless Key problem

    On Jul 14, 12:39*am, Ricky wrote:
    > "John" wrote:
    >
    > > "Ricky" wrote in message
    > > >I have occaisional problems where my wireless connection drops. The thing
    > > >is
    > > > that when I search for available connections, I see my own network, to
    > > > which
    > > > my PC should automaticaly reconnect. When I click to conect it bringsup
    > > > the
    > > > box for me to put my network key in.

    > > Typically you only have to do this once. Your password is saved in yourWiFi
    > > profile.

    > > > Naturally the stored key appears as dots - the thing is that only about 7
    > > > dots appear - my key has 14 characters. Is this why it won't auto
    > > > reconnect?

    > > Nope. The number of dots does not necessarily represent the length of your
    > > password. It's for security reason.

    > > > When I start up my PC it ususally makes the connection, but not always.

    > > It could be:
    > > - Interference
    > > - (Cheap) WiFi router (it's a wild guess)
    > > - It may take longer to connect but you're impatient and force it to connect
    > > by manually connecting and retyping your password

    > John
    >
    > Thanks for your comments. I am happy to accept the number of dots has
    > nothing to do with the actual key length.
    >
    > On your other comments...
    >
    > Interference - agree it is possible - how do I tell/do something about it?
    > Wild guess wrong - not a cheap router. Its a Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless G
    > Timing: No, it *just doesn't...
    > Impatient? I'm definitely getting there.... but I have given it time to
    > connect. Usually it connects it before the PC has completed all it's startup
    > tasks, but even giving it 2 minutes doesn't do the trick...

    Check any / all software based firewalls or anti-virus. I have
    encountered a software firewall (Norton 360) which will "deactivate"
    the wireless network if the network's SSID is not told to be "trusted."

  8. Re: Wireless Key problem

    "Ricky" wrote in message

    > Thanks for your comments. I am happy to accept the number of dots has
    > nothing to do with the actual key length.

    No problem Ricky.

    > Interference - agree it is possible - how do I tell/do something about it?

    Interference is a tough one to spot. Just be sure there aren't wireless
    devices nearby (eg: cordless phone etc).

    > Wild guess wrong - not a cheap router. Its a Belkin ADSL2+ Wireless G

    Ok, not necessarily a cheap router. However, the truth is, I've had bad
    experience with Belkin WiFi products.

    > Impatient? I'm definitely getting there....

    I hear ya.

    > but I have given it time to
    > connect. Usually it connects it before the PC has completed all it's
    > startup
    > tasks, but even giving it 2 minutes doesn't do the trick...

    Sometimes it takes longer than 2 minutes. Also, see the other reply from
    smlunatick.

+ Reply to Thread