Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN - Wireless

This is a discussion on Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN - Wireless ; I have a Linksys wireless router connected to a switch which is connected to a shared T1 WAN. The router is set up with the standard 192.168.1.1 ip and the WAN ips are in the range of 172.29.39.1 I can ...

  1. Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN

    I have a Linksys wireless router connected to a switch which is connected to
    a shared T1 WAN.

    The router is set up with the standard 192.168.1.1 ip and the WAN ips are in
    the range of 172.29.39.1

    I can connect to the Internet through the wireless router but the connection
    is extremely slow (many times at < 30 kb/sec) and at about 500 kb downloads
    seem to stall.

    The notebook I'm connecting with is an XP SP3 computer.

    Is there some change I can make to the wireless router or perhaps a change
    to the MTU setting in XP that would speed up this connection.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    David

  2. Re: Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN

    Hi
    Are you connected with wire or wireless to the Router?
    Are there other devices beside the Router sharing the T1.
    To optimize the TCP?IP Stack, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "David Gondek" wrote in message
    >I have a Linksys wireless router connected to a switch which is connected
    >to a shared T1 WAN.
    >
    > The router is set up with the standard 192.168.1.1 ip and the WAN ips are
    > in the range of 172.29.39.1
    >
    > I can connect to the Internet through the wireless router but the
    > connection is extremely slow (many times at < 30 kb/sec) and at about 500
    > kb downloads seem to stall.
    >
    > The notebook I'm connecting with is an XP SP3 computer.
    >
    > Is there some change I can make to the wireless router or perhaps a change
    > to the MTU setting in XP that would speed up this connection.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > David

  3. Re: Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN

    Thanks for responding Jack. The XP notebook computer (which is slow) is
    connected to the wireless router. The speed doesn't change significantly
    whether I connect via wi-fi or wire.

    The wireless router and 8 other computers are connected to a switch which is
    connected to a T1 line that connects to a server at a different location
    that gives them IP addresses and provides Internet access. The speed of
    these other 8 computers is fine.

    There seems to be some problem with the wireless router interfacing with the
    server at the other end of the T1 line but I'm not experienced enough with
    networking to understand why.

    As I said I do have Internet access through the wireless router but it is
    slow and seems to have difficulty sustaining downloads over 500 kb.

    Any ideas or suggestions?

    > Hi
    > Are you connected with wire or wireless to the Router?
    > Are there other devices beside the Router sharing the T1.
    > To optimize the TCP?IP Stack, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "David Gondek" wrote in message
    >>I have a Linksys wireless router connected to a switch which is connected
    >>to a shared T1 WAN.
    >>
    >> The router is set up with the standard 192.168.1.1 ip and the WAN ips are
    >> in the range of 172.29.39.1
    >>
    >> I can connect to the Internet through the wireless router but the
    >> connection is extremely slow (many times at < 30 kb/sec) and at about 500
    >> kb downloads seem to stall.
    >>
    >> The notebook I'm connecting with is an XP SP3 computer.
    >>
    >> Is there some change I can make to the wireless router or perhaps a
    >> change to the MTU setting in XP that would speed up this connection.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any suggestions.
    >>
    >> David

  4. Re: Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN

    Hi
    As a first step you should find from the IT people what is the Router share
    in the bandwidth. It might be that the Router is throttled down.
    If allowed you can try the computer directly on the switch and see if it
    makes a difference.

    > Thanks for responding Jack. The XP notebook computer (which is slow) is
    > connected to the wireless router. The speed doesn't change significantly
    > whether I connect via wi-fi or wire.
    >
    > The wireless router and 8 other computers are connected to a switch which
    > is connected to a T1 line that connects to a server at a different
    > location that gives them IP addresses and provides Internet access. The
    > speed of these other 8 computers is fine.
    >
    > There seems to be some problem with the wireless router interfacing with
    > the server at the other end of the T1 line but I'm not experienced enough
    > with networking to understand why.
    >
    > As I said I do have Internet access through the wireless router but it is
    > slow and seems to have difficulty sustaining downloads over 500 kb.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions?
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Are you connected with wire or wireless to the Router?
    >> Are there other devices beside the Router sharing the T1.
    >> To optimize the TCP?IP Stack, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "David Gondek" wrote in message
    >>>I have a Linksys wireless router connected to a switch which is connected
    >>>to a shared T1 WAN.
    >>>
    >>> The router is set up with the standard 192.168.1.1 ip and the WAN ips
    >>> are in the range of 172.29.39.1
    >>>
    >>> I can connect to the Internet through the wireless router but the
    >>> connection is extremely slow (many times at < 30 kb/sec) and at about
    >>> 500 kb downloads seem to stall.
    >>>
    >>> The notebook I'm connecting with is an XP SP3 computer.
    >>>
    >>> Is there some change I can make to the wireless router or perhaps a
    >>> change to the MTU setting in XP that would speed up this connection.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> David

  5. Re: Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN

    I have connected the notebook to the switch and everything worked fine. I
    was able to download and install XP SP3 this way. When it is connected to
    the wireless router it is a pain to do any kind of update. I can get it to
    work but it takes forever.

    The IT people for the server are at a different location and will not
    provide any kind of support on our end. I'm sure their answer would be to
    tell us to remove the wireless router or to obtain a separate Internet
    provider for it.

    I could be wrong but I think the problem is related to the fact that the IP
    address range from the wireless router is different from that provided by
    the server and somehow the hardware firewall or server is slowing down
    Internet traffic. Unfortunately I don't have any ability to alter the
    firewall or the server.

    I was hoping that someone out there had a similar network configuration and
    could give me suggestions on how to maximize the connection speed by
    changing settings of either the wireless router or the notebook computer.

    > Hi
    > As a first step you should find from the IT people what is the Router
    > share in the bandwidth. It might be that the Router is throttled down.
    > If allowed you can try the computer directly on the switch and see if it
    > makes a difference.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "David Gondek" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks for responding Jack. The XP notebook computer (which is slow) is
    >> connected to the wireless router. The speed doesn't change significantly
    >> whether I connect via wi-fi or wire.
    >>
    >> The wireless router and 8 other computers are connected to a switch which
    >> is connected to a T1 line that connects to a server at a different
    >> location that gives them IP addresses and provides Internet access. The
    >> speed of these other 8 computers is fine.
    >>
    >> There seems to be some problem with the wireless router interfacing with
    >> the server at the other end of the T1 line but I'm not experienced enough
    >> with networking to understand why.
    >>
    >> As I said I do have Internet access through the wireless router but it is
    >> slow and seems to have difficulty sustaining downloads over 500 kb.
    >>
    >> Any ideas or suggestions?
    >>

    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> Are you connected with wire or wireless to the Router?
    >>> Are there other devices beside the Router sharing the T1.
    >>> To optimize the TCP?IP Stack, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>
    >>> "David Gondek" wrote in message

  6. Re: Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN

    Hi
    The IP is different it it should be, that what Router do.
    Changing the IP per-se via a Router should affect the available Bandwidth.
    I think that it set deliberately this way to avoid tapping and tasking the
    Network.

    >I have connected the notebook to the switch and everything worked fine. I
    >was able to download and install XP SP3 this way. When it is connected to
    >the wireless router it is a pain to do any kind of update. I can get it to
    >work but it takes forever.
    >
    > The IT people for the server are at a different location and will not
    > provide any kind of support on our end. I'm sure their answer would be to
    > tell us to remove the wireless router or to obtain a separate Internet
    > provider for it.
    >
    > I could be wrong but I think the problem is related to the fact that the
    > IP address range from the wireless router is different from that provided
    > by the server and somehow the hardware firewall or server is slowing down
    > Internet traffic. Unfortunately I don't have any ability to alter the
    > firewall or the server.
    >
    > I was hoping that someone out there had a similar network configuration
    > and could give me suggestions on how to maximize the connection speed by
    > changing settings of either the wireless router or the notebook computer.
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> As a first step you should find from the IT people what is the Router
    >> share in the bandwidth. It might be that the Router is throttled down.
    >> If allowed you can try the computer directly on the switch and see if it
    >> makes a difference.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "David Gondek" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for responding Jack. The XP notebook computer (which is slow) is
    >>> connected to the wireless router. The speed doesn't change
    >>> significantly whether I connect via wi-fi or wire.
    >>>
    >>> The wireless router and 8 other computers are connected to a switch
    >>> which is connected to a T1 line that connects to a server at a different
    >>> location that gives them IP addresses and provides Internet access. The
    >>> speed of these other 8 computers is fine.
    >>>
    >>> There seems to be some problem with the wireless router interfacing with
    >>> the server at the other end of the T1 line but I'm not experienced
    >>> enough with networking to understand why.
    >>>
    >>> As I said I do have Internet access through the wireless router but it
    >>> is slow and seems to have difficulty sustaining downloads over 500 kb.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas or suggestions?
    >>>

    >>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message

  7. Re: Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN

    It sounds like what I need is a wireless switch instead of a wireless
    router. Could you recommend a low cost wireless switch and where I could
    get it?

    Thanks.

    > Hi
    > The IP is different it it should be, that what Router do.
    > Changing the IP per-se via a Router should affect the available Bandwidth.
    > I think that it set deliberately this way to avoid tapping and tasking the
    > Network.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "David Gondek" wrote in message
    >>I have connected the notebook to the switch and everything worked fine. I
    >>was able to download and install XP SP3 this way. When it is connected to
    >>the wireless router it is a pain to do any kind of update. I can get it
    >>to work but it takes forever.
    >>
    >> The IT people for the server are at a different location and will not
    >> provide any kind of support on our end. I'm sure their answer would be
    >> to tell us to remove the wireless router or to obtain a separate Internet
    >> provider for it.
    >>
    >> I could be wrong but I think the problem is related to the fact that the
    >> IP address range from the wireless router is different from that provided
    >> by the server and somehow the hardware firewall or server is slowing down
    >> Internet traffic. Unfortunately I don't have any ability to alter the
    >> firewall or the server.
    >>
    >> I was hoping that someone out there had a similar network configuration
    >> and could give me suggestions on how to maximize the connection speed by
    >> changing settings of either the wireless router or the notebook computer.
    >>

    >> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>> As a first step you should find from the IT people what is the Router
    >>> share in the bandwidth. It might be that the Router is throttled down.
    >>> If allowed you can try the computer directly on the switch and see if it
    >>> makes a difference.
    >>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>
    >>> "David Gondek" wrote in message

  8. Re: Connecting Wireless Router to a WAN

    Hi
    Any Wireless Router can be turned into Wireless Switch (Access Point).
    Here how.
    Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    > It sounds like what I need is a wireless switch instead of a wireless
    > router. Could you recommend a low cost wireless switch and where I could
    > get it?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> The IP is different it it should be, that what Router do.
    >> Changing the IP per-se via a Router should affect the available
    >> Bandwidth.
    >> I think that it set deliberately this way to avoid tapping and tasking
    >> the Network.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "David Gondek" wrote in message
    >>>I have connected the notebook to the switch and everything worked fine.
    >>>I was able to download and install XP SP3 this way. When it is connected
    >>>to the wireless router it is a pain to do any kind of update. I can get
    >>>it to work but it takes forever.
    >>>
    >>> The IT people for the server are at a different location and will not
    >>> provide any kind of support on our end. I'm sure their answer would be
    >>> to tell us to remove the wireless router or to obtain a separate
    >>> Internet provider for it.
    >>>
    >>> I could be wrong but I think the problem is related to the fact that the
    >>> IP address range from the wireless router is different from that
    >>> provided by the server and somehow the hardware firewall or server is
    >>> slowing down Internet traffic. Unfortunately I don't have any ability
    >>> to alter the firewall or the server.
    >>>
    >>> I was hoping that someone out there had a similar network configuration
    >>> and could give me suggestions on how to maximize the connection speed by
    >>> changing settings of either the wireless router or the notebook
    >>> computer.
    >>>

    >>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread