wireless connection ?? - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless connection ?? - Wireless ; Have cable hook-up at home running my desktop. cable-Charter modem- desktop. Need to use my business laptop at home ~ 3 days a month. Would like to connect my wireless router but only have it on when I need it. ...

  1. wireless connection ??

    Have cable hook-up at home running my desktop. cable-Charter modem- desktop.
    Need to use my business laptop at home ~ 3 days a month.
    Would like to connect my wireless router but only have it on when I need it.
    Don't need the 2 systems hooked to each other, just need internet. In fact,
    I don't want them talking to each other.

    Is there a way to hook the router into the cable modem without running my
    desktop through it?

    Hope this explains what I'm trying to do.

    L.

  2. Re: wireless connection ??

    "L.S." wrote in message
    > Have cable hook-up at home running my desktop. cable-Charter modem-
    > desktop.
    > Need to use my business laptop at home ~ 3 days a month.
    > Would like to connect my wireless router but only have it on when I need
    > it.

    You may have (to use a browser) to get into your WiFi configuration
    interface to enable/disable wireless.

    > Don't need the 2 systems hooked to each other, just need internet. In
    > fact, I don't want them talking to each other.

    No problem. That's the easiest setup.

    > Is there a way to hook the router into the cable modem without running my
    > desktop through it?

    Sure. Final result would look something like this:
    Cable - Charter modem - WiFi router - desktop (wired or wireless) and/or
    laptop (wired or wireless)

    You may have to enable MAC cloning on your WiFi router.

  3. Re: wireless connection ??

    "L.S." wrote in message
    > If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting leaving the router on all
    > the time and enable/disable wireless part of router?

    Exactly.

    > When I said I'd like to turn off the wireless router, I mean actually
    > unplug it.

    That'll work as well. Rewire it back to the original setup (before you put a
    router).

    > If I connect as you stated, "Cable - Charter modem - WiFi router -
    > desktop (wired or wireless) and/or
    > laptop (wired or wireless)" won't I have to have the router on all the
    > time?

    Yes if you want internet access. The router acts as a device so you can have
    multiple PCs or laptops share internet connection.

    > (As you can tell, I'm learning)

    We have to start somewhere :-)

  4. Re: wireless connection ??

    Hi
    Typical connection should look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    If you do not set the sharing the computers would not talk one to the other
    even if they are on the same Network.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "L.S." wrote in message
    > Have cable hook-up at home running my desktop. cable-Charter modem-
    > desktop.
    > Need to use my business laptop at home ~ 3 days a month.
    > Would like to connect my wireless router but only have it on when I need
    > it.
    > Don't need the 2 systems hooked to each other, just need internet. In
    > fact, I don't want them talking to each other.
    >
    > Is there a way to hook the router into the cable modem without running my
    > desktop through it?
    >
    > Hope this explains what I'm trying to do.
    >

    > L.

  5. Re: wireless connection ??

    Thanks.

    The 'typical setup' is how we're running at work but still wondering if I
    can hook the hardware up so I don't have the router powered on all the time,
    just when I need it.
    The cable modem has two outputs in back, cat5 and usb. Can I hook my desktop
    to the usb(my desktop has an on-board lan card) and the router to the
    cat5(to run my laptop when needed)?
    Is there such a thing as a cat5 splitter? One leg running to my desktop and
    the other running to the router.
    Would that freak out the modem?

    If this won't work, it's not that big of a deal. I can leave the router on
    7/24 but seems a waist since I don't need it that much or just hook it up
    when I need it.

    Just wondering and playing with this.

    > Hi
    > Typical connection should look like this,
    > http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    > If you do not set the sharing the computers would not talk one to the
    > other even if they are on the same Network.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "L.S." wrote in message
    >> Have cable hook-up at home running my desktop. cable-Charter modem-
    >> desktop.
    >> Need to use my business laptop at home ~ 3 days a month.
    >> Would like to connect my wireless router but only have it on when I need
    >> it.
    >> Don't need the 2 systems hooked to each other, just need internet. In
    >> fact, I don't want them talking to each other.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to hook the router into the cable modem without running my
    >> desktop through it?
    >>
    >> Hope this explains what I'm trying to do.
    >>

    >> L.

  6. Re: wireless connection ??

    "L.S." wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    >
    > The 'typical setup' is how we're running at work but still wondering if I
    > can hook the hardware up so I don't have the router powered on all the
    > time, just when I need it.

    Rewire the connection. It's not that hard.

    > The cable modem has two outputs in back, cat5 and usb. Can I hook my
    > desktop to the usb(my desktop has an on-board lan card) and the router to
    > the cat5(to run my laptop when needed)?

    Yes you can hook them up as described above. Will it work simultaneously?
    No.

    > Is there such a thing as a cat5 splitter? One leg running to my desktop
    > and the other running to the router.

    Let's assume there is a CAT5 "splitter". Here's the problem:
    Your cable modem can only assign 1 public IP address to 1 device (either a
    PC or a router connected to it). How is it going to assign multiple (public)
    IP addresses to multiple devices (a PC and a router)?

  7. Re: wireless connection ??

    Hi
    If the sharing on the computers are disabled they would not talk one to the
    other.
    Software Firewall can be set to block internal connection as well.
    Playing too much with the hardware would result unstable inefficient
    Internet and network operation.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "L.S." wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    >
    > The 'typical setup' is how we're running at work but still wondering if I
    > can hook the hardware up so I don't have the router powered on all the
    > time, just when I need it.
    > The cable modem has two outputs in back, cat5 and usb. Can I hook my
    > desktop to the usb(my desktop has an on-board lan card) and the router to
    > the cat5(to run my laptop when needed)?
    > Is there such a thing as a cat5 splitter? One leg running to my desktop
    > and the other running to the router.
    > Would that freak out the modem?
    >
    > If this won't work, it's not that big of a deal. I can leave the router on
    > 7/24 but seems a waist since I don't need it that much or just hook it up
    > when I need it.
    >
    > Just wondering and playing with this.
    >
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Typical connection should look like this,

    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    >> If you do not set the sharing the computers would not talk one to the
    >> other even if they are on the same Network.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "L.S." wrote in message
    >>> Have cable hook-up at home running my desktop. cable-Charter modem-
    >>> desktop.
    >>> Need to use my business laptop at home ~ 3 days a month.
    >>> Would like to connect my wireless router but only have it on when I need
    >>> it.
    >>> Don't need the 2 systems hooked to each other, just need internet. In
    >>> fact, I don't want them talking to each other.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to hook the router into the cable modem without running
    >>> my desktop through it?
    >>>
    >>> Hope this explains what I'm trying to do.
    >>>

    >>> L.

+ Reply to Thread