Wireless PCI adapter for Windows 2000 - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless PCI adapter for Windows 2000 - Wireless ; I am looking for a wireless PCI adapter that supports WPA on Windows 2000. Since Windows 2000 does not have the Wireless Zero Configuration service like XP does, then the wireless PCI adapter needs to come with its own utility ...

  1. Wireless PCI adapter for Windows 2000

    I am looking for a wireless PCI adapter that supports WPA on Windows
    2000. Since Windows 2000 does not have the Wireless Zero
    Configuration service like XP does, then the wireless PCI adapter
    needs to come with its own utility that lets you use WPA.

    I also would like the adapter's software to run as a Windows service
    (as opposed to running only when a user logs in) - that way the system
    can respond to pings or share requests if no one is logged in. The
    software should also allow limited user accounts to use the wireless
    connection.

    Any recommendations?

  2. Re: Wireless PCI adapter for Windows 2000

    Hi
    I doubt that you would find one.
    Widows Zero Configuration has nothing to do with WPA. The encryption per-se
    has to be supported by the OS and Win2000 does not support WPA.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    wrote in message
    >I am looking for a wireless PCI adapter that supports WPA on Windows
    > 2000. Since Windows 2000 does not have the Wireless Zero
    > Configuration service like XP does, then the wireless PCI adapter
    > needs to come with its own utility that lets you use WPA.
    >
    > I also would like the adapter's software to run as a Windows service
    > (as opposed to running only when a user logs in) - that way the system
    > can respond to pings or share requests if no one is logged in. The
    > software should also allow limited user accounts to use the wireless
    > connection.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

  3. Re: Wireless PCI adapter for Windows 2000

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:

    >Hi
    >I doubt that you would find one.
    >Widows Zero Configuration has nothing to do with WPA.

    The wireless configuration GUI on XP does allow you to specify a WPA key.

    >The encryption per-se has to be supported by the OS and Win2000 does not
    >support WPA.

    And that's why the manufacturer would need to write its own driver/utility
    to allow WPA on 2000. There are a couple third-party utilities (called
    "WPA supplicants") that let you use WPA on 2000, but I have tried them and
    they don't work very well.

  4. Re: Wireless PCI adapter for Windows 2000

    wrote in message
    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>I doubt that you would find one.
    >>Widows Zero Configuration has nothing to do with WPA.

    > The wireless configuration GUI on XP does allow you to specify a WPA key.
    >

    >>The encryption per-se has to be supported by the OS and Win2000 does not
    >>support WPA.

    > And that's why the manufacturer would need to write its own driver/utility
    > to allow WPA on 2000. There are a couple third-party utilities (called
    > "WPA supplicants") that let you use WPA on 2000, but I have tried them and
    > they don't work very well.

    Take a look at Linksys WMP54G
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=5669245678B23

+ Reply to Thread