ICS or Bridging ? - Wireless

This is a discussion on ICS or Bridging ? - Wireless ; This spring I shared a broadband connection from a laptop in Mexico by using ICS from the PCI broadband card to the ethernet port. I then used a router as an A/P only. The laptop is underpowered and performance was ...

  1. ICS or Bridging ?

    This spring I shared a broadband connection from a laptop in Mexico by
    using ICS from the PCI broadband card to the ethernet port. I then
    used a router as an A/P only. The laptop is underpowered and
    performance was lousy.

    I am wondering if I can use bridging to pass the broadband signal
    directly to the ethernet and then use the router as a true router? I
    tried it once quickly and it appeared to not work. Anyone have
    knowlege of such bridging?

    Thanks, Dave

  2. Re: ICS or Bridging ?

    It won't work because the "broadband card will "loose" its TCP/IP Identity
    and would have its identity merged [bridged] with the Ethernet interface and
    the two of them would appear as a single virtual interface which is
    sometimes call a Briged Virtual Interface (BVI),...at which point the TCP/IP
    Specs get bound to the BVI instead of the individual nics. The broadband
    card would probably cease to function because it requires the "specs"
    provided to it by the provider upon connection and it will loose those in
    the bridging.

    That is my "theory", anyway.

    What you should do is buy a new router that has a slot for the broadband
    "cell phone" card (they do make them). Get one that accepts the card you
    already own. You then insert the caerd in the router (not the PC) and then
    connect the PCs to router in the normal manner you would at home (wired -vs-
    wireless is irrelevant).

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Dave" wrote in message
    > This spring I shared a broadband connection from a laptop in Mexico by
    > using ICS from the PCI broadband card to the ethernet port. I then
    > used a router as an A/P only. The laptop is underpowered and
    > performance was lousy.
    >
    > I am wondering if I can use bridging to pass the broadband signal
    > directly to the ethernet and then use the router as a true router? I
    > tried it once quickly and it appeared to not work. Anyone have
    > knowlege of such bridging?
    >
    > Thanks, Dave

+ Reply to Thread