Dial-up: How to stop it - Wireless

This is a discussion on Dial-up: How to stop it - Wireless ; I have only recently been using wireless. I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup. Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and ...

  1. Dial-up: How to stop it

    I have only recently been using wireless.

    I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup.

    Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection
    gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and takes over the connection.

    How can I set the dialer to only start when I open Network
    Connections, and start it from there.? Never automatically?

    Thanks
    Steve

  2. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    If using IE, click: tools>internet options>connections tab, click Never Dial
    a connection or Dial whenever...

    "Seeker" wrote in message
    >I have only recently been using wireless.
    >
    > I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup.
    >
    > Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection
    > gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and takes over the connection.
    >
    > How can I set the dialer to only start when I open Network
    > Connections, and start it from there.? Never automatically?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steve

  3. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    Internet Options is also in Control Panel, and it was already clicked.
    Does not seem to work.

    But I do thank you for the feedback.
    Steve

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 21:21:05 -0700, "iPC" wrote:

    >If using IE, click: tools>internet options>connections tab, click Never Dial
    >a connection or Dial whenever...
    >

    >"Seeker" wrote in message
    >>I have only recently been using wireless.
    >>
    >> I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup.
    >>
    >> Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection
    >> gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and takes over the connection.
    >>
    >> How can I set the dialer to only start when I open Network
    >> Connections, and start it from there.? Never automatically?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Steve

  4. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    Also remember to put a tick in the box to not show the dialogue box again
    until boot up, it will go away then until the next time you have problems
    with the broadband connection, I know it happens to me occasionally

    --
    Joan Archer
    http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

    "Seeker" wrote in message
    > Internet Options is also in Control Panel, and it was already clicked.
    > Does not seem to work.
    >
    > But I do thank you for the feedback.
    > Steve
    >

    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 21:21:05 -0700, "iPC" wrote:
    >
    >>If using IE, click: tools>internet options>connections tab, click Never
    >>Dial
    >>a connection or Dial whenever...
    >>

    >>"Seeker" wrote in message
    >>>I have only recently been using wireless.
    >>>
    >>> I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup.
    >>>
    >>> Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection
    >>> gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and takes over the connection.
    >>>
    >>> How can I set the dialer to only start when I open Network
    >>> Connections, and start it from there.? Never automatically?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Steve

  5. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    Where is that box? Internet Options? or Network Connections?
    I can't find it in either one of those.

    Thanks
    Steve

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:30:10 +0100, "Joan Archer"
    wrote:

    >Also remember to put a tick in the box to not show the dialogue box again
    >until boot up, it will go away then until the next time you have problems
    >with the broadband connection, I know it happens to me occasionally

  6. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    Hi
    Right click on the DialUp Icon in the Control Panel Network connection and
    click on Disable.
    In case you lose your broadband and need the DialUp, right click again and
    click on enable.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Seeker" wrote in message
    >I have only recently been using wireless.
    >
    > I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup.
    >
    > Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection
    > gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and takes over the connection.
    >
    > How can I set the dialer to only start when I open Network
    > Connections, and start it from there.? Never automatically?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steve

  7. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    That would be so easy, if it were possible.
    There is no "Disable" available for the Dial-up.
    There is for the wireless, Not for the dial up.

    Thanks
    Steve

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:59:50 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >Right click on the DialUp Icon in the Control Panel Network connection and
    >click on Disable.
    >In case you lose your broadband and need the DialUp, right click again and
    >click on enable.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >"Seeker" wrote in message
    >>I have only recently been using wireless.
    >>
    >> I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup.
    >>
    >> Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection
    >> gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and takes over the connection.
    >>
    >> How can I set the dialer to only start when I open Network
    >> Connections, and start it from there.? Never automatically?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Steve

  8. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    Hi
    Look at the Device manger, and disable the Modem there in the same way.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > Hi
    > Right click on the DialUp Icon in the Control Panel Network connection and
    > click on Disable.
    > In case you lose your broadband and need the DialUp, right click again and
    > click on enable.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Seeker" wrote in message
    >>I have only recently been using wireless.
    >>
    >> I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup.
    >>
    >> Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection
    >> gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and takes over the connection.
    >>
    >> How can I set the dialer to only start when I open Network
    >> Connections, and start it from there.? Never automatically?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Steve

  9. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    I have found another way (Fingers Crossed!).

    Instead of right clicking, in Network Connections, I selected the
    Dial-Up connection, then went to the main menu at the top, selected
    "Advanced - Dial-up Preferneces - Autodial".

    I un-ticked "enable autodial by location", and ticked "disable
    autodial when I am logged on".

    Seems to have worked. (he said hopefully...)

    Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated
    Steve

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 14:46:25 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >Look at the Device manger, and disable the Modem there in the same way.
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    >"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Right click on the DialUp Icon in the Control Panel Network connection and
    >> click on Disable.
    >> In case you lose your broadband and need the DialUp, right click again and
    >> click on enable.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Seeker" wrote in message
    >>>I have only recently been using wireless.
    >>>
    >>> I do still have a dial-up account, but it is really just for backup.
    >>>
    >>> Problem is, the dialer keeps starting, When my wireless connection
    >>> gets a little weak, the dialer pops up and takes over the connection.
    >>>
    >>> How can I set the dialer to only start when I open Network
    >>> Connections, and start it from there.? Never automatically?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Steve

  10. Re: Dial-up: How to stop it

    When the broadband is down a box comes on screen for the dial up and at the
    bottom of there is a part about not showing the box again until you next log
    on with a place for you to put a tick in. The odd times that I have had the
    problem, even though in Internet Options it is set to not dial a connection,
    putting a tick in that box means that it doesn't come up again while you are
    sorting out the connection and by the time I do a reboot everything is back
    to normal so the dial up box has no need to reappear.

    --

    "Seeker" wrote in message
    > Where is that box? Internet Options? or Network Connections?
    > I can't find it in either one of those.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steve
    >

    > On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 15:30:10 +0100, "Joan Archer"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Also remember to put a tick in the box to not show the dialogue box again
    >>until boot up, it will go away then until the next time you have problems
    >>with the broadband connection, I know it happens to me occasionally

+ Reply to Thread