Wireless just stops working - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless just stops working - Wireless ; So, we've had our Linksys WRT54G router for a couple of years. A couple of weeks ago the wireless network just stopped working. This was true for all of our wireless laptops; the router simply isn't found when searching. Wired ...

  1. Wireless just stops working

    So, we've had our Linksys WRT54G router for a couple of years. A
    couple of weeks ago the wireless network just stopped working. This
    was true for all of our wireless laptops; the router simply isn't
    found when searching. Wired connections still work fine though.

    There were no changes in configuration or anything like that at the
    time it stopped working. So, is it typical for the wireless network to
    just stop working? Is it time for a new router?

    TIA,
    David

  2. Re: Wireless just stops working

    I had a Linksys Router that did the same thing about a year ago. Same
    problem wired but no wireless. As it turned out the Router had gone bad...

    "David Schwartz" wrote in message
    > So, we've had our Linksys WRT54G router for a couple of years. A
    > couple of weeks ago the wireless network just stopped working. This
    > was true for all of our wireless laptops; the router simply isn't
    > found when searching. Wired connections still work fine though.
    >
    > There were no changes in configuration or anything like that at the
    > time it stopped working. So, is it typical for the wireless network to
    > just stop working? Is it time for a new router?
    >
    > TIA,
    > David

  3. Re: Wireless just stops working

    Do a factory reset on the router. If the wireless still does not
    work and it shows as broadcasting the SSID in the interface AND
    you've changed the SSID name AND channel to rule out interference
    from neighbors, it is time to replace it.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  4. Re: Wireless just stops working

    Hi
    Do a hard Reset (as suggest above by Barb).
    Then think about it in terms like, Yeah, I got a new Wireless router.
    I.e., connect with a wire to the device and configure it from scratch, if it
    does not work then its time for a new one.
    make sure that it is Not your Wireless computer too,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "David Schwartz" wrote in message
    > So, we've had our Linksys WRT54G router for a couple of years. A
    > couple of weeks ago the wireless network just stopped working. This
    > was true for all of our wireless laptops; the router simply isn't
    > found when searching. Wired connections still work fine though.
    >
    > There were no changes in configuration or anything like that at the
    > time it stopped working. So, is it typical for the wireless network to
    > just stop working? Is it time for a new router?
    >
    > TIA,
    > David

  5. Re: Wireless just stops working

    "David Schwartz" wrote in message
    > So, we've had our Linksys WRT54G router for a couple of years. A
    > couple of weeks ago the wireless network just stopped working. This
    > was true for all of our wireless laptops; the router simply isn't
    > found when searching. Wired connections still work fine though.
    >
    > There were no changes in configuration or anything like that at the
    > time it stopped working. So, is it typical for the wireless network to
    > just stop working? Is it time for a new router?
    >
    > TIA,
    > David

    Change the "Channel" it uses. Sometimes one channel will become inop.

    -Frank

+ Reply to Thread