-> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <- - Wireless

This is a discussion on -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <- - Wireless ; Hi, I'd like to know if there is a way to tell some application to use the WiFi TCP/IP instead of the Ethernet one. My PC has both cards and I'd like to have most software use the default Ethernet ...

  1. -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    Hi,
    I'd like to know if there is a way to tell some application to use the
    WiFi TCP/IP instead of the Ethernet one.

    My PC has both cards and I'd like to have most software use the
    default Ethernet TCP/IP connections, but for example, tell Outlook and
    my news reader to use the TCP connection of the WiFi card instead.
    Without disrupting Ethernet...

    I imagine that it should be possible with tunneling or something
    similar?

    Are they any utilities, drivers or software achieving such a thing?

    For now, I "ipconfig release" my Ethernet board to let the
    applications switch to the WiFi connection and then "ipconfig renew"
    it to switch back to my Ethernet board.

    But I'd like both at the same time, concurrently. Possible?

    Thanks for any help

    Sincerely,
    Steve JORDI

    (Remove the K_I_L_LSPAM from my email address)
    1197 Prangins Email: stevejordiK_I_L_LSPAM@hotmail.com
    Switzerland WWW: www.sjordi.com
    Volcanoes at www.sjordi.com/volcanoes
    MovieDB at www.sjmoviedb.com

  2. Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    It isn't easy, but if you want to try it, modify the routing table. This how
    to may help.
    Routing
    No internet access - Destination net unreachable One router goes to
    the corporation email server and another one goes to the Internet ...
    www.chicagotech.net/routing.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Steve JORDI" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'd like to know if there is a way to tell some application to use the
    > WiFi TCP/IP instead of the Ethernet one.
    >
    > My PC has both cards and I'd like to have most software use the
    > default Ethernet TCP/IP connections, but for example, tell Outlook and
    > my news reader to use the TCP connection of the WiFi card instead.
    > Without disrupting Ethernet...
    >
    > I imagine that it should be possible with tunneling or something
    > similar?
    >
    > Are they any utilities, drivers or software achieving such a thing?
    >
    > For now, I "ipconfig release" my Ethernet board to let the
    > applications switch to the WiFi connection and then "ipconfig renew"
    > it to switch back to my Ethernet board.
    >
    > But I'd like both at the same time, concurrently. Possible?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >

    > Sincerely,
    > Steve JORDI
    >
    > (Remove the K_I_L_LSPAM from my email address)
    > 1197 Prangins Email: stevejordiK_I_L_LSPAM@hotmail.com
    > Switzerland WWW: www.sjordi.com
    > Volcanoes at www.sjordi.com/volcanoes
    > MovieDB at www.sjmoviedb.com

  3. Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    You're just not supposed to run two Nics on the same subnet at the same
    time. Disable or disconnect the one you aren't using.

    As a side note it is all Ethernet. The only thing the wireless does is
    replace the cable, that's it. Running both the wireless and the wired on
    the same network at the same time is the same thing as if you ran two cabled
    Nics on the same network at the same time (which you aren't supposed to do
    either).

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Steve JORDI" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'd like to know if there is a way to tell some application to use the
    > WiFi TCP/IP instead of the Ethernet one.
    >
    > My PC has both cards and I'd like to have most software use the
    > default Ethernet TCP/IP connections, but for example, tell Outlook and
    > my news reader to use the TCP connection of the WiFi card instead.
    > Without disrupting Ethernet...
    >
    > I imagine that it should be possible with tunneling or something
    > similar?
    >
    > Are they any utilities, drivers or software achieving such a thing?
    >
    > For now, I "ipconfig release" my Ethernet board to let the
    > applications switch to the WiFi connection and then "ipconfig renew"
    > it to switch back to my Ethernet board.
    >
    > But I'd like both at the same time, concurrently. Possible?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >

    > Sincerely,
    > Steve JORDI
    >
    > (Remove the K_I_L_LSPAM from my email address)
    > 1197 Prangins Email: stevejordiK_I_L_LSPAM@hotmail.com
    > Switzerland WWW: www.sjordi.com
    > Volcanoes at www.sjordi.com/volcanoes
    > MovieDB at www.sjmoviedb.com

  4. Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    Hi
    Nah, it can Not be done when using Client OS.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Steve JORDI" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'd like to know if there is a way to tell some application to use the
    > WiFi TCP/IP instead of the Ethernet one.
    >
    > My PC has both cards and I'd like to have most software use the
    > default Ethernet TCP/IP connections, but for example, tell Outlook and
    > my news reader to use the TCP connection of the WiFi card instead.
    > Without disrupting Ethernet...
    >
    > I imagine that it should be possible with tunneling or something
    > similar?
    >
    > Are they any utilities, drivers or software achieving such a thing?
    >
    > For now, I "ipconfig release" my Ethernet board to let the
    > applications switch to the WiFi connection and then "ipconfig renew"
    > it to switch back to my Ethernet board.
    >
    > But I'd like both at the same time, concurrently. Possible?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >

    > Sincerely,
    > Steve JORDI
    >
    > (Remove the K_I_L_LSPAM from my email address)
    > 1197 Prangins Email: stevejordiK_I_L_LSPAM@hotmail.com
    > Switzerland WWW: www.sjordi.com
    > Volcanoes at www.sjordi.com/volcanoes
    > MovieDB at www.sjmoviedb.com

  5. Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    OK

    thanks to all. I will continue to proceed as I currently do,
    "releasing" the Ethernet board to switch to the WiFi one,
    and "renewing" it when switching back to cabled network.

    Thanks for your help.

    MovieDB at www.sjmoviedb.com

  6. Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    > OK
    >
    > thanks to all. I will continue to proceed as I currently do,
    > "releasing" the Ethernet board to switch to the WiFi one,
    > and "renewing" it when switching back to cabled network.

    You don't have to do that.
    It happens automatically for wireless when you "connect" to the SSID
    It happens automaticaly for wired when you plug in the cable.

    Do not have the wireless connected at the same time the wired is connected.
    Unplug the wired when you aren't using it,...turn off the wireless when you
    are not using it,...only use one at a time. It is simple,..no big deal.

    As far as Applications using a certain nic,...can't be done. Applications
    have no idea what a nic even is. The nic in use for a particular piece of
    traffic is determined by the OS's Routing Table,...the route chosen is based
    on the Destination IP#,....Applications are oblivious to it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

  7. Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    Hi
    The simplest way to do so is to drag a link to the Connection ICON to the
    Desktop and then Enable Disable the Wire or and the Wireless connection as
    needed by right clicking on the Icon.
    Frequent plugging and unplugging a network cable ending up with trashing the
    physical connection, and results in reduction of Network's traffic speed,
    and eventually the plastic brakes.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Steve JORDI" wrote in message
    > OK
    >
    > thanks to all. I will continue to proceed as I currently do,
    > "releasing" the Ethernet board to switch to the WiFi one,
    > and "renewing" it when switching back to cabled network.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >

    > Sincerely,
    > Steve JORDI
    >
    > (Remove the K_I_L_LSPAM from my email address)
    > 1197 Prangins Email: stevejordiK_I_L_LSPAM@hotmail.com
    > Switzerland WWW: www.sjordi.com
    > Volcanoes at www.sjordi.com/volcanoes
    > MovieDB at www.sjmoviedb.com

  8. Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:38:26 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
    wrote:

    >You don't have to do that.
    >It happens automatically for wireless when you "connect" to the SSID
    >It happens automaticaly for wired when you plug in the cable.
    >Do not have the wireless connected at the same time the wired is connected.

    Well but that is exactly what I want. Both at the same time.
    If I unplug the Ethernet cable, then I lose all my network
    connections, etc. I'd like to have them both cohabit together, just
    being able to tell some specifiy application to use one NIC over the
    other one.

    Someone told me to use the "route" command... I'll investigate this.

    Thanks for your answers.

    MovieDB at www.sjmoviedb.com

  9. Re: -> Using Ethernet AND WiFi at the same time? <-

    > On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:38:26 -0500, "Phillip Windell"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You don't have to do that.
    >>It happens automatically for wireless when you "connect" to the SSID
    >>It happens automaticaly for wired when you plug in the cable.
    >>Do not have the wireless connected at the same time the wired is
    >>connected.

    > Well but that is exactly what I want. Both at the same time.

    No,..you can't. They are both the same network.

    > If I unplug the Ethernet cable, then I lose all my network
    > connections, etc.

    Of course it is going to,...then when you enable the other adapter they will
    come back again.

    > I'd like to have them both cohabit together,

    Networking fundamentals just simply do not work that way. Now before
    someone else mentions it,..."Nic Teaming" is a way to use two Nics on the
    same network,...but this does not apply nor have any bearing and what this
    situation is about.

    175767 - Expected Behavior of Multiple Adapters on Same Network

    > being able to tell some specifiy application to use one NIC over the
    > other one.

    You can't.

    > Someone told me to use the "route" command... I'll investigate this.

    There are some Application Server Services that will attach to a specific
    Nic (like DNS Services, IIS Sites), but that does not apply to your
    situation.
    Applications do not know what a Routing Table is.
    Application cannot and do not "choose" routes out of a Routing Table.
    Both Nics are the same network in the first place,...so the Routing Table
    becomes irrelevant. The purpose of a Routing Table is to determine the
    correct TCP/IP-Based Gateway for a particular TCP/IP-Based Destination when
    that particular Destination does not exist within the same network as the
    Source.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com