Newbie - wireless internet question - Wireless

This is a discussion on Newbie - wireless internet question - Wireless ; Do I have to have a DSL modem to set up wireless access point? The modem I have is an old VisionNet that does not have a Ethernet port....

  1. Newbie - wireless internet question

    Do I have to have a DSL modem to set up wireless access point?
    The modem I have is an old VisionNet that does not have a Ethernet port.

  2. Re: Newbie - wireless internet question

    mac wrote:
    > Do I have to have a DSL modem to set up wireless access point?
    > The modem I have is an old VisionNet that does not have a Ethernet port.

    No. How, or even if, you connect to the Internet has nothing to do with
    how you set up your local network, wireless or otherwise.

    On the other hand, if you want to share the Internet over a local
    wireless network, you should get a modem that has an Ethernet port.
    Very few, if any, home wireless routers have USB inputs.

    You could use a USB modem connected to a PC running Windows Internet
    Connection Sharing and then connect a wireless router/access point to
    that computer, but this arrangement has several disadvantages compared
    to using a wireless router directly connected to your modem.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  3. Re: Newbie - wireless internet question

    "mac" wrote in message
    > Do I have to have a DSL modem to set up wireless access point?

    No

    > The modem I have is an old VisionNet that does not have a Ethernet port.

    Never heard of it.

  4. Re: Newbie - wireless internet question

    mac wrote:
    > Thanks Lem for all the good info.

    You're welcome.

    Setting up wireless networks is not as difficult as you might gather
    from reading some of the posts in this newsgroup. First, make sure that
    your computer is virus and malware free and then read the directions
    that come with whatever equipment you buy. It pays to read all the way
    through before starting. Aside from the malware check, if you only have
    one computer at the moment, and thus are only concerned with connecting
    to the Internet without the need to share files and printers, it should
    take you about 10-15 minutes after you unpack the boxes to be up and
    running.
    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  5. Re: Newbie - wireless internet question

    Lem wrote:
    > mac wrote:
    >> Thanks Lem for all the good info.
    >>

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > Setting up wireless networks is not as difficult as you might gather
    > from reading some of the posts in this newsgroup. First, make sure that
    > your computer is virus and malware free and then read the directions
    > that come with whatever equipment you buy. It pays to read all the way
    > through before starting. Aside from the malware check, if you only have
    > one computer at the moment, and thus are only concerned with connecting
    > to the Internet without the need to share files and printers, it should
    > take you about 10-15 minutes after you unpack the boxes to be up and
    > running.

    I'll remember you said that.
    I think with all of your help I'll do ok.

    Mac

  6. Re: Newbie - wireless internet question

    Hi
    In case you are on a Dialup this might help.
    Look at option 2.
    http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "mac" wrote in message
    > Do I have to have a DSL modem to set up wireless access point?
    > The modem I have is an old VisionNet that does not have a Ethernet port.

  7. RE: Newbie - wireless internet question

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    "mac" wrote:

    > Do I have to have a DSL modem to set up wireless access point?
    > The modem I have is an old VisionNet that does not have a Ethernet port.

  8. Re: Newbie - wireless internet question

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    > Hi
    > In case you are on a Dialup this might help.
    > Look at option 2.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "mac" wrote in message
    > > Do I have to have a DSL modem to set up wireless access point?
    > > The modem I have is an old VisionNet that does not have a Ethernet port.

+ Reply to Thread