Network problem with XP pro and XP home - Wireless

This is a discussion on Network problem with XP pro and XP home - Wireless ; I have Desktop - XP Home and Laptop - XP Pro. I set up the home network on the XP Home with name "HomeNet". Now, in the network places of the Desktop (XP Home) I see the desktop under "HomeNet" ...

  1. Network problem with XP pro and XP home

    I have Desktop - XP Home and Laptop - XP Pro. I set up the home
    network on the XP Home with name "HomeNet". Now, in the network places
    of the Desktop (XP Home) I see the desktop under "HomeNet" group.
    Now, the laptop is connected through Wireless network to the router. I
    can neither see "HomeNet" through the laptop, neither I can connect to
    the Desktop.
    Similarly, the Desktop cannot see the Laptop.

    I'm having McAfee firewall on Desktop. Do I need to tweak any settings
    in firewall?

    What can be other issue for this?

    Please help, thanks in advance.

    -- Anand

  2. Re: Network problem with XP pro and XP home

    With McAfee disable, can you ping each other by IP?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Anand" wrote in message
    >I have Desktop - XP Home and Laptop - XP Pro. I set up the home
    > network on the XP Home with name "HomeNet". Now, in the network places
    > of the Desktop (XP Home) I see the desktop under "HomeNet" group.
    > Now, the laptop is connected through Wireless network to the router. I
    > can neither see "HomeNet" through the laptop, neither I can connect to
    > the Desktop.
    > Similarly, the Desktop cannot see the Laptop.
    >
    > I'm having McAfee firewall on Desktop. Do I need to tweak any settings
    > in firewall?
    >
    > What can be other issue for this?
    >
    > Please help, thanks in advance.
    >
    > -- Anand

  3. Re: Network problem with XP pro and XP home

    Create the same userID/password combination on each machine (not a blank
    password) and use that to logon. Also be sure they are in the same
    "workgroup".

    If you brought your laptop home from work and are logging into a cached
    "domain" profile, you probably do not have adequate permissions on that
    machine to accomplish these changes.

    -Frank

    "Anand" wrote in message
    >I have Desktop - XP Home and Laptop - XP Pro. I set up the home
    > network on the XP Home with name "HomeNet". Now, in the network places
    > of the Desktop (XP Home) I see the desktop under "HomeNet" group.
    > Now, the laptop is connected through Wireless network to the router. I
    > can neither see "HomeNet" through the laptop, neither I can connect to
    > the Desktop.
    > Similarly, the Desktop cannot see the Laptop.
    >
    > I'm having McAfee firewall on Desktop. Do I need to tweak any settings
    > in firewall?
    >
    > What can be other issue for this?
    >
    > Please help, thanks in advance.
    >
    > -- Anand