Wifi connected but does not work - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wifi connected but does not work - Wireless ; Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but the first one never showed up on the group. At many public wifi hotspots (airports, coffee shops) my IBM laptop tells me that it has connected to the network, but I cannot ...

  1. Wifi connected but does not work

    Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but the first one never showed up on
    the group.

    At many public wifi hotspots (airports, coffee shops) my IBM laptop
    tells me that it has connected to the network, but I cannot access any
    web pages - they time out. I have tried disabling the firewall and
    setting security to low, but these don't help.

    Last time this happened, at an airport, I ran IPCONFIG and it gave:

    Connection-specific DNS:
    IP: 10.205.64.50
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

    When I am at home and successfully using my wifi network, IPCONFIG
    gives:

    Connection-specific DNS:
    IP: 192.168.1.105
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

    Is it right that the gateway is the same in two locations? Any help
    greatly appreciated.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  2. Re: Wifi connected but does not work

    Hi
    Each location has it own gateway. Some times it can be the same IP but it
    seems to me that your Gateway is Not set to Autoconfig and thus stays the
    same.
    Take a look at the TCP/IP configuration and make sure that it configured to
    Obtain settings Automatically..
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Peter A" wrote in message
    news:MPG.22cde20e3325ad749897f6@msnews.microsoft.c om...
    > Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but the first one never showed up on
    > the group.
    >
    > At many public wifi hotspots (airports, coffee shops) my IBM laptop
    > tells me that it has connected to the network, but I cannot access any
    > web pages - they time out. I have tried disabling the firewall and
    > setting security to low, but these don't help.
    >
    > Last time this happened, at an airport, I ran IPCONFIG and it gave:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS:
    > IP: 10.205.64.50
    > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    >
    > When I am at home and successfully using my wifi network, IPCONFIG
    > gives:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS:
    > IP: 192.168.1.105
    > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Is it right that the gateway is the same in two locations? Any help
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > Peter Aitken

+ Reply to Thread