System can connect to Access Point, but not see the network - Wireless

This is a discussion on System can connect to Access Point, but not see the network - Wireless ; I have a desktop machine with a Netgear WG311 card in it. I have a Linksys Wireless Access Point WRT54G that it has always connected to without problem. All of a sudden I'm getting some weird behavior. The machine can ...

  1. System can connect to Access Point, but not see the network

    I have a desktop machine with a Netgear WG311 card in it. I have a
    Linksys Wireless Access Point WRT54G that it has always connected to
    without problem. All of a sudden I'm getting some weird behavior.
    The machine can no longer see the network although it claims it is
    connected via the WAP. It is using the Netgear utlity to connect, and
    always has. But suddenly I can no longer get a DHCP address. I tried
    to give it a static address, but it still could not see the network,
    nor could anybody see it. Again, the odd thing is the Netgear utility
    claims it is connected to the WAP. The WAP does not report the
    connection in its log files. It worked on Friday when I went home.
    It didn't work on Monday when I came in. Windows 2000.

    Any ideas?

    -Jim

  2. Re: System can connect to Access Point, but not see the network

    Make sure you are not connecting to your neighbor's wireless. Check the
    SSID.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "jtpr" wrote in message
    >I have a desktop machine with a Netgear WG311 card in it. I have a
    > Linksys Wireless Access Point WRT54G that it has always connected to
    > without problem. All of a sudden I'm getting some weird behavior.
    > The machine can no longer see the network although it claims it is
    > connected via the WAP. It is using the Netgear utlity to connect, and
    > always has. But suddenly I can no longer get a DHCP address. I tried
    > to give it a static address, but it still could not see the network,
    > nor could anybody see it. Again, the odd thing is the Netgear utility
    > claims it is connected to the WAP. The WAP does not report the
    > connection in its log files. It worked on Friday when I went home.
    > It didn't work on Monday when I came in. Windows 2000.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > -Jim

  3. Re: System can connect to Access Point, but not see the network

    On Jun 25, 1:12*pm, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
    wrote:
    > Make sure you are not connecting to your neighbor's wireless. Check the
    > SSID.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com"jtpr" wrote in message

    > >I have a desktop machine with a Netgear WG311 card in it. *I have a
    > > Linksys Wireless Access Point WRT54G that it has always connected to
    > > without problem. *All of a sudden I'm getting some weird behavior.
    > > The machine can no longer see the network although it claims it is
    > > connected via the WAP. *It is using the Netgear utlity to connect, and
    > > always has. *But suddenly I can no longer get a DHCP address. *I tried
    > > to give it a static address, but it still could not see the network,
    > > nor could anybody see it. *Again, the odd thing is the Netgear utility
    > > claims it is connected to the WAP. *The WAP does not report the
    > > connection in its log files. *It worked on Friday when I went home.
    > > It didn't work on Monday when I came in. *Windows 2000.

    > > Any ideas?

    > > -Jim- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you. Yes, I checked that. The only network it sees is the one
    in house and the SSID matches. I have WEP on it, which it asked for
    and accepted. But yet when you look at the router log, the connection
    is not there.

    It may be as simple as a NIC gone bad, but it intrigues me.

    -Jim

  4. Re: System can connect to Access Point, but not see the network

    jtpr wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 1:12 pm, "Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)"
    > wrote:
    >> Make sure you are not connecting to your neighbor's wireless. Check the
    >> SSID.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com"jtpr" wrote in message

    >>> I have a desktop machine with a Netgear WG311 card in it. I have a
    >>> Linksys Wireless Access Point WRT54G that it has always connected to
    >>> without problem. All of a sudden I'm getting some weird behavior.
    >>> The machine can no longer see the network although it claims it is
    >>> connected via the WAP. It is using the Netgear utlity to connect, and
    >>> always has. But suddenly I can no longer get a DHCP address. I tried
    >>> to give it a static address, but it still could not see the network,
    >>> nor could anybody see it. Again, the odd thing is the Netgear utility
    >>> claims it is connected to the WAP. The WAP does not report the
    >>> connection in its log files. It worked on Friday when I went home.
    >>> It didn't work on Monday when I came in. Windows 2000.
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>> -Jim- Hide quoted text -

    > Thank you. Yes, I checked that. The only network it sees is the one
    > in house and the SSID matches. I have WEP on it, which it asked for
    > and accepted. But yet when you look at the router log, the connection
    > is not there.
    >
    > It may be as simple as a NIC gone bad, but it intrigues me.
    >
    > -Jim

    What makes you think that the WEP password was "accepted"? Try
    temporarily reconfiguring the router to disable all security and try to
    connect. You may have to delete a stored profile for that SSID if the
    configuration utility you're using to manage your wireless adapter
    stores the password.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  5. Re: System can connect to Access Point, but not see the network

    The solution may be as easy as restarting your router. Have you done that?

    "jtpr" wrote in message
    Thank you. Yes, I checked that. The only network it sees is the one
    in house and the SSID matches. I have WEP on it, which it asked for
    and accepted. But yet when you look at the router log, the connection
    is not there.

    It may be as simple as a NIC gone bad, but it intrigues me.

    -Jim

+ Reply to Thread