Networking XP program files - Wireless

This is a discussion on Networking XP program files - Wireless ; Hi, Windows XP Professional on desktop and laptop. My Docs successfully networked so can access from both computers (a computer expert did this for us). Need to access Program Files from laptop. Established a new drive on laptop (Q) and ...

  1. Networking XP program files

    Hi,

    Windows XP Professional on desktop and laptop. My Docs successfully
    networked so can access from both computers (a computer expert did this for
    us).

    Need to access Program Files from laptop. Established a new drive on laptop
    (Q) and set permissions on desktop. Laptop can access the Program Files
    folder and open a few of the files. Am actually trying to get access to the
    Intuit, Quickbooks files located in Program files. Have tried giving
    permissions to that folder but nothing seems to work.

    As Administrator of the desktop, and temporarily working from my laptop, I
    actually need to access all drives and files on the desktop.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks,
    KP
    --
    KP

  2. RE: Networking XP program files

    CORRECTION: I can access some of the files on the C drive from the laptop but
    cannot open the Program Files folder.
    --
    KP

    "KP" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Windows XP Professional on desktop and laptop. My Docs successfully
    > networked so can access from both computers (a computer expert did this for
    > us).
    >
    > Need to access Program Files from laptop. Established a new drive on laptop
    > (Q) and set permissions on desktop. Laptop can access the Program Files
    > folder and open a few of the files. Am actually trying to get access to the
    > Intuit, Quickbooks files located in Program files. Have tried giving
    > permissions to that folder but nothing seems to work.
    >
    > As Administrator of the desktop, and temporarily working from my laptop, I
    > actually need to access all drives and files on the desktop.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > KP
    > --
    > KP

  3. Re: Networking XP program files

    You don't need drive letters.

    If the name of the Laptop is "mylaptop" and if the account "name" & password
    you are using on the machine you are sitting at matches an account "name" &
    password on the laptop,...and if the account on the laptop is an
    "administrator" then from the "Run" line off the Start Menu you can type

    "\\mylaptop\c$\Program Files"

    If it opens in Explorer properly you can drag the Icon from the Address Bar
    to a location on the machine such as the Desktop or the My Documents folder.
    From that point on when you open a Browse dialog you can navigate through
    the Shortcut you created as if it was a Folder on the local machine.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "KP" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Windows XP Professional on desktop and laptop. My Docs successfully
    > networked so can access from both computers (a computer expert did this
    > for
    > us).
    >
    > Need to access Program Files from laptop. Established a new drive on
    > laptop
    > (Q) and set permissions on desktop. Laptop can access the Program Files
    > folder and open a few of the files. Am actually trying to get access to
    > the
    > Intuit, Quickbooks files located in Program files. Have tried giving
    > permissions to that folder but nothing seems to work.
    >
    > As Administrator of the desktop, and temporarily working from my laptop, I
    > actually need to access all drives and files on the desktop.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > KP
    > --
    > KP

  4. Re: Networking XP program files

    In addition to Phillip's advice - why you can't connect to the desktop
    over a remote desktop connection and just run the software
    on the system where it is installed.

    --PA

    "KP" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Windows XP Professional on desktop and laptop. My Docs successfully
    > networked so can access from both computers (a computer expert did this
    > for
    > us).
    >
    > Need to access Program Files from laptop. Established a new drive on
    > laptop
    > (Q) and set permissions on desktop. Laptop can access the Program Files
    > folder and open a few of the files. Am actually trying to get access to
    > the
    > Intuit, Quickbooks files located in Program files. Have tried giving
    > permissions to that folder but nothing seems to work.
    >
    > As Administrator of the desktop, and temporarily working from my laptop, I
    > actually need to access all drives and files on the desktop.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > KP
    > --
    > KP

  5. Re: Networking XP program files

    Good point...

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "Pavel A." wrote in message
    > In addition to Phillip's advice - why you can't connect to the desktop
    > over a remote desktop connection and just run the software
    > on the system where it is installed.
    >
    > --PA
    >

    > "KP" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Windows XP Professional on desktop and laptop. My Docs successfully
    >> networked so can access from both computers (a computer expert did this
    >> for
    >> us).
    >>
    >> Need to access Program Files from laptop. Established a new drive on
    >> laptop
    >> (Q) and set permissions on desktop. Laptop can access the Program Files
    >> folder and open a few of the files. Am actually trying to get access to
    >> the
    >> Intuit, Quickbooks files located in Program files. Have tried giving
    >> permissions to that folder but nothing seems to work.
    >>
    >> As Administrator of the desktop, and temporarily working from my laptop,
    >> actually need to access all drives and files on the desktop.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> KP
    >> --
    >> KP

  6. Re: Networking XP program files

    > Am actually trying to get access to the Intuit, Quickbooks files
    > located in Program files. Have tried giving permissions to that
    > folder but nothing seems to work.

    You must have an older version of QuickBooks. The newer versions do not
    place the QB data file in the Programs Files directory due to network access
    problems/permissions (go figure...LOL). It can be done, but why adulterate
    your Program Files "permissions" when it is not necessary, just for the sake
    of one data file?

    Anyway, on the QB machine, create a new share (called QBData, or similar)
    right off the root of C drive (i.e. c:\QBData). Share it out. Point both
    machines to this data file.

    -Frank

+ Reply to Thread