ad hoc frequency question - Wireless

This is a discussion on ad hoc frequency question - Wireless ; There is a network with two computers. It is an ad hoc network because the only internet available is evdo (cellular dial up) due to the remoteness of the location. Windows ICS was used and the connection was fine. Now, ...

  1. ad hoc frequency question

    There is a network with two computers. It is an ad hoc network because the
    only internet available is evdo (cellular dial up) due to the remoteness of
    the location. Windows ICS was used and the connection was fine. Now, there
    is a 2.4Ghz cordless phone in the room with the desktop computer (client side
    ICS) and the desktop cannot see the wireless signal. Is there a way I can
    broadcast at a higher frequency? I tried broadcasting in 802.11a (5Ghz) but
    my host's card doesn't have that band enabled and I don't know how to enable
    it. Can anyone see a solution other than buying a non cordless phone?

  2. Re: ad hoc frequency question

    Hi
    If the setting allows you to change the WIFI channel. try all channels and
    see if one of them works better.
    Network hardware has to be prebuilt for 802.11a, if your card hardware does
    not include 802.11a there is nothing to enable.
    Otherwise, it is time to follow the world and switch to 5.8GHz phone.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Max" wrote in message
    > There is a network with two computers. It is an ad hoc network because
    > the
    > only internet available is evdo (cellular dial up) due to the remoteness
    > of
    > the location. Windows ICS was used and the connection was fine. Now,
    > there
    > is a 2.4Ghz cordless phone in the room with the desktop computer (client
    > side
    > ICS) and the desktop cannot see the wireless signal. Is there a way I can
    > broadcast at a higher frequency? I tried broadcasting in 802.11a (5Ghz)
    > but
    > my host's card doesn't have that band enabled and I don't know how to
    > enable
    > it. Can anyone see a solution other than buying a non cordless phone?

  3. Re: ad hoc frequency question

    "Max" wrote in message
    > There is a network with two computers. It is an ad hoc network because
    > the
    > only internet available is evdo (cellular dial up) due to the remoteness
    > of
    > the location. Windows ICS was used and the connection was fine. Now,
    > there
    > is a 2.4Ghz cordless phone in the room with the desktop computer (client
    > side
    > ICS) and the desktop cannot see the wireless signal. Is there a way I can
    > broadcast at a higher frequency? I tried broadcasting in 802.11a (5Ghz)
    > but
    > my host's card doesn't have that band enabled and I don't know how to
    > enable
    > it. Can anyone see a solution other than buying a non cordless phone?

    If the phone is not in active use, or not very close to the computers,
    it is unlikely that it disrupts your wi-fi. The problem is elsewhere.

    --PA

  4. Re: ad hoc frequency question

    > "Max" wrote in message
    > the location. Windows ICS was used and the connection was fine. Now,
    > there is a 2.4Ghz cordless phone in the room with the desktop computer
    > (client side ICS) and the desktop cannot see the wireless signal. Is
    > there a way I can
    > broadcast at a higher frequency? I tried broadcasting in 802.11a (5Ghz)

    Unplug the phone completely,..from the line and the power. Now it is deader
    than a Friday Mackerel and can not possibly get in the way. Now what does
    the Ad hoc connection do? If it still won't work, then the phone was never
    the problem. You can plug the phone back in.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com