Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), is ICSstill possible? - Wireless

This is a discussion on Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), is ICSstill possible? - Wireless ; Hi I would not "mess around" with a company Network. It might be that technically it is Not possible to re-configure the system. Even if it works you might end up introducing a security bridge to the Network. Jack (MVP-Networking). ...

  1. Re: Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), is ICS still possible?

    "Alex Y Wang" wrote in message
    > Hi, I've just joined a new company and the internet connection for me
    > is not ready yet (there's not enough sockets!) I've got a friend whose
    > laptop has both WiFi and ethernet so I've been thinking if I could
    > configure his machine to be a host so that I can share his internet
    > connection. However, the IP address of his machine is an allocated
    > static IP address and whenever I attempt to switch on the ICS on his
    > machine there's a dialog telling me that the IP address of his machine
    > will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the internet connection might be
    > lost. My machine is already connected with his through WiFi, I just
    > cannot share the internet connection, is there a way out? Please help!
    > I can hardly survive without internet!

  2. Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), is ICSstill possible?

    Hi, I've just joined a new company and the internet connection for me
    is not ready yet (there's not enough sockets!) I've got a friend whose
    laptop has both WiFi and ethernet so I've been thinking if I could
    configure his machine to be a host so that I can share his internet
    connection. However, the IP address of his machine is an allocated
    static IP address and whenever I attempt to switch on the ICS on his
    machine there's a dialog telling me that the IP address of his machine
    will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the internet connection might be
    lost. My machine is already connected with his through WiFi, I just
    cannot share the internet connection, is there a way out? Please help!
    I can hardly survive without internet!

  3. Re: Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), isICS still possible?

    Alex Y Wang wrote:
    > Hi, I've just joined a new company and the internet connection for me
    > is not ready yet (there's not enough sockets!) I've got a friend whose
    > laptop has both WiFi and ethernet so I've been thinking if I could
    > configure his machine to be a host so that I can share his internet
    > connection. However, the IP address of his machine is an allocated
    > static IP address and whenever I attempt to switch on the ICS on his
    > machine there's a dialog telling me that the IP address of his machine
    > will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the internet connection might be
    > lost. My machine is already connected with his through WiFi, I just
    > cannot share the internet connection, is there a way out? Please help!
    > I can hardly survive without internet!

    If you are describing a situation where one person in an office is
    connected to the company network and you want to have him share that
    connection with you wirelessly, that's a good way to get both of you fired.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

  4. Re: Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), is ICS still possible?

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:23:56 -0700 (PDT), Alex Y Wang
    wrote:

    >Hi, I've just joined a new company and the internet connection for me
    >is not ready yet (there's not enough sockets!) I've got a friend whose
    >laptop has both WiFi and ethernet so I've been thinking if I could
    >configure his machine to be a host so that I can share his internet
    >connection. However, the IP address of his machine is an allocated
    >static IP address and whenever I attempt to switch on the ICS on his
    >machine there's a dialog telling me that the IP address of his machine
    >will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the internet connection might be
    >lost. My machine is already connected with his through WiFi, I just
    >cannot share the internet connection, is there a way out? Please help!
    >I can hardly survive without internet!

    Whether or not you can change the ics ip address being used depends on
    which version of windows the host is running.

    You will probably be better off running something like the free proxy
    from analogx
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm

    Jim.

  5. Re: Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), isICS still possible?

    On Jun 23, 8:34*am, James Egan wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:23:56 -0700 (PDT), Alex Y Wang
    >
    > wrote:
    > >Hi, I've just joined a new company and the internet connection for me
    > >is not ready yet (there's not enough sockets!) I've got a friend whose
    > >laptop has both WiFi and ethernet so I've been thinking if I could
    > >configure his machine to be a host so that I can share his internet
    > >connection. However, the IP address of his machine is an allocated
    > >static IP address and whenever I attempt to switch on the ICS on his
    > >machine there's a dialog telling me that the IP address of his machine
    > >will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the internet connection might be
    > >lost. My machine is already connected with his through WiFi, I just
    > >cannot share the internet connection, is there a way out? Please help!
    > >I can hardly survive without internet!

    > Whether or not you can change the ics ip address being used depends on
    > which version of windows the host is running.
    >
    > You will probably be better off running something like the free proxy
    > from analogxhttp://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm
    >
    > Jim.

    Thanks for the reply. The host machine is running xp sp3. Can I get
    around it using proxy server?

  6. Re: Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), isICS still possible?

    On Jun 23, 8:34*am, James Egan wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:23:56 -0700 (PDT), Alex Y Wang
    >
    > wrote:
    > >Hi, I've just joined a new company and the internet connection for me
    > >is not ready yet (there's not enough sockets!) I've got a friend whose
    > >laptop has both WiFi and ethernet so I've been thinking if I could
    > >configure his machine to be a host so that I can share his internet
    > >connection. However, the IP address of his machine is an allocated
    > >static IP address and whenever I attempt to switch on the ICS on his
    > >machine there's a dialog telling me that the IP address of his machine
    > >will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the internet connection might be
    > >lost. My machine is already connected with his through WiFi, I just
    > >cannot share the internet connection, is there a way out? Please help!
    > >I can hardly survive without internet!

    > Whether or not you can change the ics ip address being used depends on
    > which version of windows the host is running.
    >
    > You will probably be better off running something like the free proxy
    > from analogxhttp://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm
    >
    > Jim.

    Thanks for the reply. The host machine is running xp sp3. Can I get
    around it using proxy server?

  7. Re: Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), isICS still possible?

    On Jun 23, 8:34*am, James Egan wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:23:56 -0700 (PDT), Alex Y Wang
    >
    > wrote:
    > >Hi, I've just joined a new company and the internet connection for me
    > >is not ready yet (there's not enough sockets!) I've got a friend whose
    > >laptop has both WiFi and ethernet so I've been thinking if I could
    > >configure his machine to be a host so that I can share his internet
    > >connection. However, the IP address of his machine is an allocated
    > >static IP address and whenever I attempt to switch on the ICS on his
    > >machine there's a dialog telling me that the IP address of his machine
    > >will be changed to 192.168.0.1 and the internet connection might be
    > >lost. My machine is already connected with his through WiFi, I just
    > >cannot share the internet connection, is there a way out? Please help!
    > >I can hardly survive without internet!

    > Whether or not you can change the ics ip address being used depends on
    > which version of windows the host is running.
    >
    > You will probably be better off running something like the free proxy
    > from analogxhttp://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm
    >
    > Jim.

    Thanks for the reply. The host machine is running xp sp3. Can I get
    around it using proxy server?

  8. Re: Host machine ip address allocated (and is not 192.168.0.1), is ICS still possible?

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:25:38 -0700 (PDT), Alex Y Wang
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the reply. The host machine is running xp sp3. Can I get
    >around it using proxy server?

    Yes. Run the proxy on the host and configure the apps on your computer
    to use the proxy at the specified local ip address and port.

    Jim.

+ Reply to Thread