wireless and wired networking - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless and wired networking - Wireless ; I am being very cautious about setting up a home network. I have (from AT&T) a 2wire wireless gateway with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a laptop connected wirelessly. Do I need anything else (hardware) to share the printers ...

  1. wireless and wired networking

    I am being very cautious about setting up a home network. I have (from AT&T)
    a 2wire wireless gateway with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a laptop
    connected wirelessly. Do I need anything else (hardware) to share the
    printers connected to the desktop with the wireless laptop?
    --
    phlarkincpa

  2. Re: wireless and wired networking

    If both computers can connect to he Internet and the printer works, then you
    are set hardware wise.
    The rest is pending on correct Sharing Configuration.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "phlarkincpa" wrote in message
    >I am being very cautious about setting up a home network. I have (from
    >AT&T)
    > a 2wire wireless gateway with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a laptop
    > connected wirelessly. Do I need anything else (hardware) to share the
    > printers connected to the desktop with the wireless laptop?
    > --
    > phlarkincpa

  3. Re: wireless and wired networking

    "phlarkincpa" wrote in message
    >I am being very cautious about setting up a home network. I have (from
    >AT&T)
    > a 2wire wireless gateway with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a laptop
    > connected wirelessly. Do I need anything else (hardware) to share the
    > printers connected to the desktop with the wireless laptop?
    > --
    > phlarkincpa

    First check to see that both computers are listed under network places.
    That should confirm that they're both in the same domain. Then go into
    Printers and Faxes under control panel (assuming you're using Windows XP or
    Vista) and select the default printer of your desktop. Right-click and
    select Sharing. Share this printer on your network. Go into Printers and
    Faxes on your laptop and select Add Printer. Browse for a Network Printer
    (not Local), select the printer from your desktop which should be the only
    one listed and you're good to go.

    Ron

+ Reply to Thread