Need some basic help on updating my home configuration - Wireless

This is a discussion on Need some basic help on updating my home configuration - Wireless ; I suspect this won't be the right place (ultimately) to take this topic, but since I get such good help when I come to these forums I thought I'd start here. I have a relatively simple (and I assume common) ...

  1. Need some basic help on updating my home configuration

    I suspect this won't be the right place (ultimately) to take this topic, but
    since I get such good help when I come to these forums I thought I'd start
    here.

    I have a relatively simple (and I assume common) home wireless network.
    It's "grown" up a piece at a time with my first computer being a Mac (going
    way back to the Classic) and now, after a couple replacements, has a Mini.
    Over the years we've also started using two PC laptops (my wife's and mine)
    where we do most of the work these days. The Mac isn't used much for
    applications and my thinking is to use it more as a file server although I
    still have our home finances there (don't like carrying that stuff around
    with me.)

    There are some peripherals (printer, scanner) that are still USB connected
    to the Mac and just the other day my printer finally gave up the ghost. So,
    it's replacement time.

    Before making the final decision on what to replace it with (combo scanner,
    fax, printer, copier or keeping the printer and the scanner modular) I want
    to ask some questions about networking options.

    One thing that would be great is to have all the computers able to print
    directly (rather than sending the files via email to the Mac to print). I
    see the new printers have wireless capabilities along with USB capabilities.

    My first question is whether to move toward having the Mac function as a
    print server or putting the printer on the ethernet (whether wired or
    wireless). Any thoughts? Will I have less issues by just connecting the
    printer to the network instead of making the Mac a printer server? Do PC and
    Mac devices network better these days?

    The other question is on all-in-one type printers or to keep the printer and
    scanner modular. The disadvantage I've always had in my mind with all-in-one
    types is if one component fails (and I need to take it in for repair) I lose
    all the other functionality (i.e. scanner breaks and I lost the printer while
    its being serviced).

    I would imagine that the combos are a little cheaper than going modular
    but....

    Since changing the overall configuration will be done one component at a
    time, and since the printer is up for replacement now, I'd like to have the
    longer-term in mind. BTW, the scanner is very old and, although it works, a
    scanner upgrade would be OK now too.

    Again, I'm not looking for hardware recommendations but networking wisdom to
    allow for the greatest overall functionality.

    Thanks

    Tom

  2. Re: Need some basic help on updating my home configuration

    Last month I purchased a little print server from Newegg (item made by
    Trendnet) that allowed me to connect my non-network print to the network so
    that everyone could print to it without me having to use File and Printer
    sharing in Windows. Item works great.

    So I would probably lean towards setting up the printer directly on your
    network, either direct-connecct or using wireless.

  3. Re: Need some basic help on updating my home configuration

    Thanks. Since my original post I went ahead and ordered the printer. It has
    the ability to connect to a computer or the network.

    I've never tried to share anything on our network so, from your comment on
    File and Printer sharing in Windows, I get the general idea. Since I have a
    Mac in the mix and since I thought I remember some issues sharing with PCs
    and Macs mixed it probably is even more reason to stay with the printer on
    the net.

    I'm looking forward to being able to print from any of our computers.

    Thanks

    Tom

    "Nobody" wrote:

    > Last month I purchased a little print server from Newegg (item made by
    > Trendnet) that allowed me to connect my non-network print to the network so
    > that everyone could print to it without me having to use File and Printer
    > sharing in Windows. Item works great.
    >
    > So I would probably lean towards setting up the printer directly on your
    > network, either direct-connecct or using wireless.

+ Reply to Thread