Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up - Wireless ; I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e. they work fine when ...

  1. Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up

    I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
    dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
    problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e. they
    work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
    make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
    connect to the internet.
    According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) using
    just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said I
    have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.

    James

  2. Re: Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up

    Hi
    This unfortunately the case with Dialup and sharing.
    You can improve your Sharing if you use an External Modem and a Router.
    Take a look at option 2 here, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    http://www.provantage.com/data-56net~7BESD038.htm
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "James B. Holladay" wrote in message
    >I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
    > dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
    > problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e.
    > they
    > work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
    > make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
    > connect to the internet.
    > According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
    > using
    > just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said
    > have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.
    >
    > James

  3. Re: Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up

    Jack,
    Many thanks. I am currently using a 3COM/US ROBOTICS Courier external modem
    and Linksys WRT54GS router.
    My main computer is linked to the router via Ethernet cable all others are
    wireless.
    I was not aware of the modem/router combination.
    I will keep this in mind. Maybe I can get my hand on one.

    James

    Hi
    This unfortunately the case with Dialup and sharing.
    You can improve your Sharing if you use an External Modem and a Router.
    Take a look at option 2 here, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    http://www.provantage.com/data-56net~7BESD038.htm
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "James B. Holladay" wrote in message
    >I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
    > dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
    > problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e.
    > they
    > work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
    > make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
    > connect to the internet.
    > According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
    > using
    > just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said
    > have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.
    >
    > James

  4. Re: Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up

    Jack,
    Is there any way to improve my experience with ICS using the equipment I
    already have, 3COM/US ROBOTICS Courier external modem
    and Linksys WRT54GS router?
    Are you aware of any third party ICS overlay software that uses more up to
    date code for accommodating ICS with a dial up connection? I guest I have
    come to beleive you can find anything if you know how to phrase the
    question or description of your needs. It does not seem an impossible feat
    to write code for. It looks like MS's method is the only one available for
    ICS for dial up connections, is this true or are there choices?

    James

    Hi
    This unfortunately the case with Dialup and sharing.
    You can improve your Sharing if you use an External Modem and a Router.
    Take a look at option 2 here, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    http://www.provantage.com/data-56net~7BESD038.htm
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "James B. Holladay" wrote in message
    >I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
    > dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
    > problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e.
    > they
    > work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
    > make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
    > connect to the internet.
    > According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
    > using
    > just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said
    > have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.
    >
    > James

  5. Re: Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up

    Hi
    In the past when a lot of users were still on dialup, this ICS substitute
    seemed to help in Wireless Sharing.
    http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/down...work/proxy.htm

    > Jack,
    > Is there any way to improve my experience with ICS using the equipment I
    > already have, 3COM/US ROBOTICS Courier external modem
    > and Linksys WRT54GS router?
    > Are you aware of any third party ICS overlay software that uses more up to
    > date code for accommodating ICS with a dial up connection? I guest I have
    > come to beleive you can find anything if you know how to phrase the
    > question or description of your needs. It does not seem an impossible
    > feat
    > to write code for. It looks like MS's method is the only one available for
    > ICS for dial up connections, is this true or are there choices?
    >
    > James
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    > Hi
    > This unfortunately the case with Dialup and sharing.
    > You can improve your Sharing if you use an External Modem and a Router.
    > Take a look at option 2 here, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
    > http://www.provantage.com/data-56net~7BESD038.htm
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "James B. Holladay" wrote in message
    >>I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
    >> dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
    >> problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e.
    >> they
    >> work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
    >> make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
    >> connect to the internet.
    >> According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
    >> using
    >> just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said
    >> have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.
    >>
    >> James

+ Reply to Thread