found wrong profile - Wireless

This is a discussion on found wrong profile - Wireless ; I'm using Windows XP with the Intel PROSet/Wireless. In a hotel in Korea I logged onto their Wifi. Later when I was in Manila, I saw a access point with the same hotel name. There is no such hotel in ...

  1. found wrong profile

    I'm using Windows XP with the Intel PROSet/Wireless.

    In a hotel in Korea I logged onto their Wifi. Later when I was in Manila, I
    saw a access point with the same hotel name. There is no such hotel in
    Manila. How did the s/w get confused? What is used to identify an access
    point? The hotel access point had the Network Name 'default'. Is it that
    simple that the one in Manila was also default and therefore my laptop
    thought it was the Korean hotel? Does anything else have to match like the
    MAC address or BSSID?

    Thanks...

  2. Re: found wrong profile

    WiFi signal from Korea is strong enough to reach the Phillipines :-)

    No, Windows wireless zero config (or PROSet WiFi software) remembers all
    access points that it has connected to and automatically adds them into the
    profile.

    "Bill Brehm >" < wrote in message
    > I'm using Windows XP with the Intel PROSet/Wireless.
    >
    > In a hotel in Korea I logged onto their Wifi. Later when I was in Manila,
    > I saw a access point with the same hotel name. There is no such hotel in
    > Manila. How did the s/w get confused? What is used to identify an access
    > point? The hotel access point had the Network Name 'default'. Is it that
    > simple that the one in Manila was also default and therefore my laptop
    > thought it was the Korean hotel? Does anything else have to match like the
    > MAC address or BSSID?
    >
    > Thanks...

  3. Re: found wrong profile

    Hi
    Look at the Wireless proffered list and get rid of every thing that is Not
    relevant any more.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Bill Brehm >" < wrote in message
    > I'm using Windows XP with the Intel PROSet/Wireless.
    >
    > In a hotel in Korea I logged onto their Wifi. Later when I was in Manila,
    > I saw a access point with the same hotel name. There is no such hotel in
    > Manila. How did the s/w get confused? What is used to identify an access
    > point? The hotel access point had the Network Name 'default'. Is it that
    > simple that the one in Manila was also default and therefore my laptop
    > thought it was the Korean hotel? Does anything else have to match like the
    > MAC address or BSSID?
    >
    > Thanks...

  4. Re: found wrong profile

    The Korean hotel will be relevant next month when I go back there again. So
    I don't want to remove it. My only question is: Why did some Wifi access
    point in Manila show up as the hotel in Korea? Is it simply because they
    both had the same Network Name 'default'? If so I guess this will happen a
    lot to a lot of people.

    > Hi
    > Look at the Wireless proffered list and get rid of every thing that is Not
    > relevant any more.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Bill Brehm >" < wrote in message
    >> I'm using Windows XP with the Intel PROSet/Wireless.
    >>
    >> In a hotel in Korea I logged onto their Wifi. Later when I was in Manila,
    >> I saw a access point with the same hotel name. There is no such hotel in
    >> Manila. How did the s/w get confused? What is used to identify an access
    >> point? The hotel access point had the Network Name 'default'. Is it that
    >> simple that the one in Manila was also default and therefore my laptop
    >> thought it was the Korean hotel? Does anything else have to match like
    >> the MAC address or BSSID?
    >>
    >> Thanks...

  5. Re: found wrong profile

    yup

    "Bill Brehm" wrote in message
    > The Korean hotel will be relevant next month when I go back there again.
    > So I don't want to remove it. My only question is: Why did some Wifi
    > access point in Manila show up as the hotel in Korea? Is it simply because
    > they both had the same Network Name 'default'? If so I guess this will
    > happen a lot to a lot of people.
    >

    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Look at the Wireless proffered list and get rid of every thing that is
    >> Not relevant any more.
    >> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Bill Brehm >" < wrote in message
    >>> I'm using Windows XP with the Intel PROSet/Wireless.
    >>>
    >>> In a hotel in Korea I logged onto their Wifi. Later when I was in
    >>> Manila, I saw a access point with the same hotel name. There is no such
    >>> hotel in Manila. How did the s/w get confused? What is used to identify
    >>> an access point? The hotel access point had the Network Name 'default'.
    >>> Is it that simple that the one in Manila was also default and therefore
    >>> my laptop thought it was the Korean hotel? Does anything else have to
    >>> match like the MAC address or BSSID?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks...

+ Reply to Thread