Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen - Wireless

This is a discussion on Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen - Wireless ; I dug up my old Thinkpad R40 with Intel pro wireless 2100 mini network adapter and updated it to XP SP3 from XP SP1. I use a Linksys N router with my 2 other notebook PCs (WAP2 encryption) and have ...

  1. Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen

    I dug up my old Thinkpad R40 with Intel pro wireless 2100 mini network
    adapter and updated it to XP SP3 from XP SP1.

    I use a Linksys N router with my 2 other notebook PCs (WAP2 encryption) and
    have no problem whatsoever.

    I updated the Intel 2100 driver because the old driver didn't have the WAP2
    feature. I successfully connected the Thinkpad to the router.

    Now, here's the strangest part. The wireless connection stays well-connected
    if I simply browse the Internet. However, the Thinkpad loses connection in
    20-30 seconds after I start downloading a relatively big file. Then, the
    Thinkpad re-establishes wireless connection.

    I've tried everything I can think of: disabling AVG, windows firewall,
    spy-bot. The Thinkpad had no trouble with wireless connection when I used
    WEP in the past. What do you think is happening?

  2. Re: Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen

    On Jun 14, 11:30*pm, "KlausK" wrote:
    > I dug up my old Thinkpad R40 with Intel pro wireless 2100 mini network
    > adapter and updated it to XP SP3 from XP SP1.
    >
    > I use a Linksys N router with my 2 other notebook PCs (WAP2 encryption) and
    > have no problem whatsoever.
    >
    > I updated the Intel 2100 driver because the old driver didn't have the WAP2
    > feature. I successfully connected the Thinkpad to the router.
    >
    > Now, here's the strangest part. The wireless connection stays well-connected
    > if I simply browse the Internet. However, the Thinkpad loses connection in
    > 20-30 seconds after I start downloading a relatively big file. Then, the
    > Thinkpad re-establishes wireless connection.
    >
    > I've tried everything I can think of: disabling AVG, windows firewall,
    > spy-bot. The Thinkpad had no trouble with wireless connection when I used
    > WEP in the past. What do you think is happening?

    Using the Intel "management" software or the Wireless Zero
    Configuration system? You may need to WPA2 patch from Microsoft
    (which does not appear to be in any service pack):

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

  3. Re: Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen

    "KlausK" wrote in message
    > I dug up my old Thinkpad R40 with Intel pro wireless 2100 mini network
    > adapter and updated it to XP SP3 from XP SP1.
    >
    > I use a Linksys N router with my 2 other notebook PCs (WAP2 encryption)
    > and have no problem whatsoever.

    WPA2, not WAP2, if you don't mind.

    > I updated the Intel 2100 driver because the old driver didn't have the
    > WAP2 feature. I successfully connected the Thinkpad to the router.
    >
    > Now, here's the strangest part. The wireless connection stays
    > well-connected if I simply browse the Internet. However, the Thinkpad
    > loses connection in 20-30 seconds after I start downloading a relatively
    > big file. Then, the Thinkpad re-establishes wireless connection.
    >
    > I've tried everything I can think of: disabling AVG, windows firewall,
    > spy-bot. The Thinkpad had no trouble with wireless connection when I used
    > WEP in the past. What do you think is happening?

    The 2100 is quite outdated, and perhaps simply does not work well with WPA2
    (though the new driver supports it)

    Regards,
    --PA

  4. Re: Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen

    Ummm... I have to disagree with you. WinXP SP3 does include WPA2.
    Don't believe me? Read SP3 whitepaper yourself.

    > "smlunatick" wrote in message
    >
    > Using the Intel "management" software or the Wireless Zero
    > Configuration system? You may need to WPA2 patch from Microsoft
    > (which does not appear to be in any service pack):
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

  5. Re: Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen

    I doubt Intel PRO Wireless 2100 supports WPA2. If you insist on using 2100
    adapter, lower your security to WPA and use a long alphanumeric password (40
    characters or longer) that isn't found in any dictionary. WPA security with
    a long password is just as hard to break.

    "KlausK" wrote in message
    >I dug up my old Thinkpad R40 with Intel pro wireless 2100 mini network
    >adapter and updated it to XP SP3 from XP SP1.
    >
    > I use a Linksys N router with my 2 other notebook PCs (WAP2 encryption)
    > and have no problem whatsoever.
    >
    > I updated the Intel 2100 driver because the old driver didn't have the
    > WAP2 feature. I successfully connected the Thinkpad to the router.
    >
    > Now, here's the strangest part. The wireless connection stays
    > well-connected if I simply browse the Internet. However, the Thinkpad
    > loses connection in 20-30 seconds after I start downloading a relatively
    > big file. Then, the Thinkpad re-establishes wireless connection.
    >
    > I've tried everything I can think of: disabling AVG, windows firewall,
    > spy-bot. The Thinkpad had no trouble with wireless connection when I used
    > WEP in the past. What do you think is happening?

  6. Re: Strangest Wireless Problem I've Ever Seen

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d=68C48DAD-BC3...

    > > "smlunatick" wrote in message

    > > Using the Intel "management" software or the Wireless Zero
    > > Configuration system? You may need to WPA2 patch from Microsoft
    > > (which does not appear to be in any service pack):

    > >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

    Sorry, I have yet to do SP3 on a wireless network based PC.

+ Reply to Thread