Wireless adapter IP address with no network - Wireless

This is a discussion on Wireless adapter IP address with no network - Wireless ; Can anyone guide me to some type of slution? I am working on setting up a 802.11N network in Windows XP pro. I am trying to use USB adpaters (D-Link and Linksys) for the PC and I am connecting to ...

  1. Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    Can anyone guide me to some type of slution? I am working on setting
    up a 802.11N network in Windows XP pro. I am trying to use USB
    adpaters (D-Link and Linksys) for the PC and I am connecting to a 11n
    router (D-Link.) Every time I connect one of the wireless adapters,
    it gets an IP address but have no network / Internet access.

  2. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    Have you double-checked that the IP address, subnet mask and default
    gateway are correct? Can you ping the wireless router?

    --
    -Ben-
    Ben M. Schorr, MVP

    "smlunatick" wrote in message

    > Can anyone guide me to some type of slution? I am working on setting
    > up a 802.11N network in Windows XP pro. I am trying to use USB
    > adpaters (D-Link and Linksys) for the PC and I am connecting to a 11n
    > router (D-Link.) Every time I connect one of the wireless adapters,
    > it gets an IP address but have no network / Internet access.

    > Checked by AVG.

    Checked by AVG.
    6/13/2008 7:25 PM

  3. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    what does ipconfig /all show when you are in the no access state?
    which router and what version firmware?

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:56:36 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    wrote:

    >Can anyone guide me to some type of slution? I am working on setting
    >up a 802.11N network in Windows XP pro. I am trying to use USB
    >adpaters (D-Link and Linksys) for the PC and I am connecting to a 11n
    >router (D-Link.) Every time I connect one of the wireless adapters,
    >it gets an IP address but have no network / Internet access.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  4. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    On Jun 15, 6:12*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > what does ipconfig /all show when you are in the no access state?
    > which router and what version firmware?
    >
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:56:36 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >
    > wrote:
    > >Can anyone guide me to some type of slution? *I am working on setting
    > >up a 802.11N network in Windows XP pro. *I am trying to use USB
    > >adpaters (D-Link and Linksys) for the PC and I am connecting to a 11n
    > >router (D-Link.) *Every time I connect one of the wireless adapters,
    > >it gets an IP address but have no network / Internet access.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    All settings are correct. My IP address is correctly assigned from my
    router's DHCP service (10.0.1.xx.) The DLink adapter is loosing the
    newtork access every 6 minutes after first connection, or every
    reconnect.

  5. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "smlunatick" wrote in message
    > Can anyone guide me to some type of slution? I am working on setting
    > up a 802.11N network in Windows XP pro. I am trying to use USB
    > adpaters (D-Link and Linksys) for the PC and I am connecting to a 11n
    > router (D-Link.) Every time I connect one of the wireless adapters,
    > it gets an IP address but have no network / Internet access.

  6. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    On Jun 15, 4:05*pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:
    > Hi
    > May be this can Help.
    > My Wireless does not work -http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > Wireless Basic Configuration -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > Wireless Security -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "smlunatick" wrote in message

    > > Can anyone guide me to some type of slution? *I am working on setting
    > > up a 802.11N network in Windows XP pro. *I am trying to use USB
    > > adpaters (D-Link and Linksys) for the PC and I am connecting to a 11n
    > > router (D-Link.) *Every time I connect one of the wireless adapters,
    > > it gets an IP address but have no network / Internet access.- Hide quoted text -

    I've already followed those recommendations listed. It is just that
    my USB 11n wireless adapters fail to get a stable network / Internet
    access even though they each get an IP address (10.0.1.xxx) from my
    11n router. I am working on updating to 11n from a 11g network, so I
    do believe I know how to set up WiFi

  7. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    have you unbound IPv6?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  8. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    > On Jun 15, 4:05 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> May be this can Help.
    >> My Wireless does not work -http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    >> Wireless Basic Configuration -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >> Wireless Security -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "smlunatick" wrote in message

    >> > Can anyone guide me to some type of slution? I am working on setting
    >> > up a 802.11N network in Windows XP pro. I am trying to use USB
    >> > adpaters (D-Link and Linksys) for the PC and I am connecting to a 11n
    >> > router (D-Link.) Every time I connect one of the wireless adapters,
    >> > it gets an IP address but have no network / Internet access.- Hide
    >> > quoted text -

    > I've already followed those recommendations listed. It is just that
    > my USB 11n wireless adapters fail to get a stable network / Internet
    > access even though they each get an IP address (10.0.1.xxx) from my
    > 11n router. I am working on updating to 11n from a 11g network, so I
    > do believe I know how to set up WiFi

    Then, ask D-Link how to troubleshoot their router.

    Regards,
    --PA

  9. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    On Jun 16, 4:33*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > have you unbound IPv6?
    >
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 07:58:19 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >

    > wrote:
    > >On Jun 15, 6:12*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > >> what does ipconfig /all show when you are in the no access state?
    > >> which router and what version firmware?

    > >> --

    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx...

    > >All settings are correct. *My IP address is correctly assigned from my
    > >router's DHCP service (10.0.1.xx.) The DLink adapter is loosing the
    > >newtork access every 6 minutes after first connection, or every
    > >reconnect.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/- Hide quoted text -

    YES! That was the first thing I check since I do not have a IPv6
    compatible router.

  10. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    On Jun 16, 9:26*am, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > "smlunatick" wrote in message

    > > On Jun 15, 4:05 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hi
    > >> May be this can Help.
    > >> My Wireless does not work -http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    > >> Wireless Basic Configuration -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    > >> Wireless Security -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > >> Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > >> "smlunatick" wrote in message

    > > I've already followed those recommendations listed. *It is just that
    > > my USB 11n wireless adapters fail to get a stable network / Internet
    > > access even though they each get an IP address (10.0.1.xxx) from my
    > > 11n router. *I am working on updating to 11n from a 11g network, so I
    > > do believe I know how to set up WiFi

    > Then, ask D-Link how to troubleshoot their router.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA- Hide quoted text -

    Gone thru all this. It is very confusing since all "wired" PCs /
    printer conencted to the router (D-Link DIR-615) work as they should.

  11. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    > On Jun 16, 9:26 am, "Pavel A." wrote:
    >> "smlunatick" wrote in message

    >> > I've already followed those recommendations listed. It is just that
    >> > my USB 11n wireless adapters fail to get a stable network / Internet
    >> > access even though they each get an IP address (10.0.1.xxx) from my
    >> > 11n router. I am working on updating to 11n from a 11g network, so I
    >> > do believe I know how to set up WiFi

    >> Then, ask D-Link how to troubleshoot their router.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> --PA- Hide quoted text -

    > Gone thru all this. It is very confusing since all "wired" PCs /
    > printer conencted to the router (D-Link DIR-615) work as they should.

    Do you have evidence that the adapter really associates with the router,
    and the router really allocates the IP address to you (it's not static)?
    Next, use a sniffer to see why it disconnects.

    Regards,
    --PA

  12. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    for arguments sake, save the existing router cfg to a file and then
    do a factory reset on the router and return it to defaults for a
    quick test.

    do you still have an issue with factory defaults?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  13. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    On Jun 16, 8:37 pm, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > for arguments sake, save the existing router cfg to a file and then
    > do a factory reset on the router and return it to defaults for a
    > quick test.
    >
    > do you still have an issue with factory defaults?
    >
    > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 06:45:26 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >

    > wrote:
    > >On Jun 16, 4:33 am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > >> have you unbound IPv6?

    > >> --

    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx...Hide quoted text -

    > >YES! That was the first thing I check since I do not have a IPv6
    > >compatible router.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    I've done this before posting. Now, yesterday, there was a newer
    firmware posted for my router (adding QoS) and I updated. I will have
    to continue my testing since I was 'able" to be stable on my Linksys
    USB adapter for a few hours. The D-Link USB adapter still is
    questionable (it looses network / Internet access in 5 to 15 minutes.)

  14. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    what is the model # of the DLink USB you are having issues with?

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:19:14 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    wrote:

    >I've done this before posting. Now, yesterday, there was a newer
    >firmware posted for my router (adding QoS) and I updated. I will have
    >to continue my testing since I was 'able" to be stable on my Linksys
    >USB adapter for a few hours. The D-Link USB adapter still is
    >questionable (it looses network / Internet access in 5 to 15 minutes.)

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  15. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    On Jun 18, 9:51*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > what is the model # of the DLink USB you are having issues with?
    >
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:19:14 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >
    > wrote:
    > >I've done this before posting. *Now, yesterday, there was a newer
    > >firmware posted for my router (adding QoS) and I updated. *I will have
    > >to continue my testing since I was 'able" to be stable on my Linksys
    > >USB adapter for a few hours. *The D-Link USB adapter still is
    > >questionable (it looses network / Internet access in 5 to 15 minutes.)

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    DWA-130 with driver pack version 1.30

  16. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    Mine is a 160 - which is working ok here (at least in testing it
    stayed up all night..)

    the inf file for the drivers is pretty interesting as it covers a
    larger amount of drivers... and other vendors. this is a more
    generic Atheros driver

    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwa160/Drivers/

    not sure if the 130 would accept this driver, but it might be worth
    downloading and extracting and pointing at it to see if it is
    acceptable.

    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:41:32 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    wrote:

    >DWA-130 with driver pack version 1.30

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  17. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    On Jun 19, 9:55*am, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > Mine is a 160 - which is working ok here (at least in testing it
    > stayed up all night..)
    >
    > the inf file for the drivers is pretty interesting as it covers a
    > larger amount of drivers... and other vendors. this is a more
    > generic Atheros driver
    >
    > ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwa160/Drivers/
    >
    > not sure if the 130 would accept this driver, but it might be worth
    > downloading and extracting and pointing at it to see if it is
    > acceptable.
    >
    > On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:41:32 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > >DWA-130 with driver pack version 1.30

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    I returned to my 11g USB adapter and the network access to my DIR-615
    router (11n) is reliable. I an not thinking that my "home" set up is
    the cause since I re-installed my 11g router and brought the D-Link
    router to my office. @ the office, this 11n router and USB adapter
    work well.

    I looking at possible solutions, I notice that my Norton 360 (yeah I
    know!) firewall module was blocking my SSID to this router. Does
    anyone know if Norton can cause WiFi problems (like what I original
    posted?)

  18. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    Norton... While I can't tell you authoritatively if it can causeWiFi
    problems, your next and only logical trouble shooting step would be
    to uninstall it.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  19. Re: Wireless adapter IP address with no network

    On Jun 19, 4:52*pm, Barb Bowman wrote:
    > Norton... While I can't tell you authoritatively if it can causeWiFi
    > problems, your next and only logical trouble shooting step would be
    > to uninstall it.
    >
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:17:50 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >
    > wrote:
    > >I returned to my 11g USB adapter and the network access to my DIR-615
    > >router (11n) is reliable. *I an not thinking that my "home" set up is
    > >the cause since I re-installed my 11g router and brought the D-Link
    > >router to my office. @ the office, this 11n router and USB adapter
    > >work well.

    > >I looking at possible solutions, I notice that my Norton 360 (yeah I
    > >know!) firewall module was blocking my SSID to this router. *Does
    > >anyone know if Norton can cause WiFi problems (like what I original
    > >posted?)

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    I just passed the entire evening with both my 11n USB adapters
    connected, at the same time with my wired access, to my 11g router.
    No re-connects, but the router was installed prior to my Norton
    install. I will need to look at Norton's FAQs and Knowledge base for
    any possible info on this. If no info is found, I guess I will need
    to uninstall my Norton 360.

+ Reply to Thread