wifi newbie question - Wireless

This is a discussion on wifi newbie question - Wireless ; My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up. This may sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser to surf the Net using my wifi connection? If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: wifi newbie question

  1. wifi newbie question

    My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up. This may
    sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser to surf the Net using my
    wifi connection? If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects via
    broadband - how do I launch the browser using wifi?

    Thanks, Mike


  2. Re: wifi newbie question

    Assuming you have two NICs and you want to use wireless to access the
    Internet, you may want to change the metric #. This search result may help,
    Routing
    Route command and examples Routing issue if the LAN and VPN are in
    different subnets Routing order Can't access the server after disable 2nd
    NIC ...
    www.chicagotech.net/routing.htm


    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    "mike_uk" wrote in message
    news:780AB2A2-1D87-4C70-9E86-D3AE7E85F833@microsoft.com...
    > My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up. This
    > may
    > sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser to surf the Net using
    > my
    > wifi connection? If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects
    > via
    > broadband - how do I launch the browser using wifi?
    >
    > Thanks, Mike
    >



  3. Re: wifi newbie question

    Many thanks for your reply but I'm a total newbie and don't undertand what
    you mean. What are NICs?

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Assuming you have two NICs and you want to use wireless to access the
    > Internet, you may want to change the metric #. This search result may help,
    > Routing
    > Route command and examples Routing issue if the LAN and VPN are in
    > different subnets Routing order Can't access the server after disable 2nd
    > NIC ...
    > www.chicagotech.net/routing.htm
    >
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "mike_uk" wrote in message
    > news:780AB2A2-1D87-4C70-9E86-D3AE7E85F833@microsoft.com...
    > > My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up. This
    > > may
    > > sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser to surf the Net using
    > > my
    > > wifi connection? If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects
    > > via
    > > broadband - how do I launch the browser using wifi?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Mike
    > >

    >
    >


  4. Re: wifi newbie question


    On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:16:00 -0700, mike_uk
    wrote:

    >Many thanks for your reply but I'm a total newbie and don't undertand what
    >you mean. What are NICs?


    Troll alert!


  5. Re: wifi newbie question


    "mike_uk" wrote in message
    news:136EBF37-2F51-4521-9E25-57BDDFD4B66B@microsoft.com...
    > Many thanks for your reply but I'm a total newbie and don't undertand what
    > you mean. What are NICs?


    Network Interface Card

    > My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up.


    Good.

    > This may sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser
    > to surf the Net using my wifi connection?


    The same way you would without worrying about connections. That is: Start -
    All Programs - Internet Explorer

    > If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects via
    > broadband - how do I launch the browser using wifi?


    Is your computer connected to your broadband router/modem with a wire
    (network cable or USB cable)? What makes you think it does NOT use WiFi?



  6. Re: wifi newbie question



    "John" wrote:

    >
    > "mike_uk" wrote in message
    > news:136EBF37-2F51-4521-9E25-57BDDFD4B66B@microsoft.com...
    > > Many thanks for your reply but I'm a total newbie and don't undertand what
    > > you mean. What are NICs?

    >
    > Network Interface Card
    >
    > > My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up.

    >
    > Good.
    >
    > > This may sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser
    > > to surf the Net using my wifi connection?

    >
    > The same way you would without worrying about connections. That is: Start -
    > All Programs - Internet Explorer
    >
    > > If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects via
    > > broadband - how do I launch the browser using wifi?

    >
    > Is your computer connected to your broadband router/modem with a wire
    > (network cable or USB cable)? What makes you think it does NOT use WiFi?


    Thankyou for your reply John. My laptop is connected to a ADSL USB modem.
    Are you saying that if I disconnect the modem, then it will connect via the
    Wifi connection?
    >
    >
    >


  7. Re: wifi newbie question

    Hi Mike.
    The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
    about Sharing Internet connection; it is short and to the point. The pages
    were written by me ages ago. Ignore the prices, and the specific choice of
    hardware, stick with the principles they are still the same.
    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=105
    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=48
    What do I need for wireless networking? -
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.aspx?i=122
    The whole thing should look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "mike_uk" wrote in message
    news:780AB2A2-1D87-4C70-9E86-D3AE7E85F833@microsoft.com...
    > My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up. This
    > may
    > sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser to surf the Net using
    > my
    > wifi connection? If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects
    > via
    > broadband - how do I launch the browser using wifi?
    >
    > Thanks, Mike
    >



  8. Re: wifi newbie question

    mike_uk wrote:
    >



    > Thankyou for your reply John. My laptop is connected to a ADSL USB modem.
    > Are you saying that if I disconnect the modem, then it will connect via the
    > Wifi connection?
    >>
    >>


    Exactly (assuming that it actually makes an authenticated* connection to
    a wireless network). If your wireless network adapter is detecting
    someone else's wireless network, you may not actually be connected to it
    (and even if you could, because the other person has left their wireless
    network unsecured, you shouldn't connect to it).

    * authenticated = passes all security measures, e.g., encryption password

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer
    http://history.nasa.gov/afj/compessay.htm

  9. Re: wifi newbie question

    mike_uk - Regarding "...My laptop is connected to a ADSL USB modem. Are you
    saying that if I disconnect the modem, then it will connect via the
    Wifi connection?...". Some confusion -No it will not!

    With the modem - an ISP (Internet Service Provider) - Comcast, Verizon,
    Earthlink, whoever - provides access to the Internet. You can connect
    wireless only if provided by the ISP or you are at a location (Coffee shop,
    Barnes and Noble) that provides a wireless access point.

    You modem may be capable of a wireless connection to it - you connect
    wireless to the modem

    BTW - laptops usually provide for "tuning off" wireless.


    "mike_uk" wrote in message
    news:780AB2A2-1D87-4C70-9E86-D3AE7E85F833@microsoft.com...
    > My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up. This
    > may
    > sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser to surf the Net using
    > my
    > wifi connection? If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects
    > via
    > broadband - how do I launch the browser using wifi?
    >
    > Thanks, Mike
    >




  10. Re: wifi newbie question

    Yesterday I disconnected my modem and connected to the Internet via my
    wireless connection no problem at all - was connected all day. Today I have
    tried to connect again but this time my "modem connect" pops up (it didn't
    do this yesterday).

    I'm not very technically gifted but I have a Ralink Wireless Utility
    installed on my laptop which connects to this network: belkin54g

    The wirelss signal icon on the task bar indicates that the network
    connection status is active and an excellent signal.

    Can anybody help please? It worked a dream yesterday and connected no
    prolem. Only difference is now I get my usual modem connection prompt whereas
    yesterday it just connected without the modem connection prompt.

    "AJR" wrote:

    > mike_uk - Regarding "...My laptop is connected to a ADSL USB modem. Are you
    > saying that if I disconnect the modem, then it will connect via the
    > Wifi connection?...". Some confusion -No it will not!
    >
    > With the modem - an ISP (Internet Service Provider) - Comcast, Verizon,
    > Earthlink, whoever - provides access to the Internet. You can connect
    > wireless only if provided by the ISP or you are at a location (Coffee shop,
    > Barnes and Noble) that provides a wireless access point.
    >
    > You modem may be capable of a wireless connection to it - you connect
    > wireless to the modem
    >
    > BTW - laptops usually provide for "tuning off" wireless.
    >
    >
    > "mike_uk" wrote in message
    > news:780AB2A2-1D87-4C70-9E86-D3AE7E85F833@microsoft.com...
    > > My notebook automaticaly makes a wifi connection when I start it up. This
    > > may
    > > sound dumb but how do I actually launch my browser to surf the Net using
    > > my
    > > wifi connection? If I launch Internet Explorer, it automatically connects
    > > via
    > > broadband - how do I launch the browser using wifi?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Mike
    > >

    >
    >
    >


+ Reply to Thread