Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not - Wireless

This is a discussion on Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not - Wireless ; My Vista Home Premium x64 machine is wirelessly connected to a Linksys WRT54G router. I have satellite internet service connected to the WRT54G. My PC does indeed have normal internet access with this arrangement, but the networking icon in the ...

  1. Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    My Vista Home Premium x64 machine is wirelessly connected to a Linksys
    WRT54G router. I have satellite internet service connected to the WRT54G. My
    PC does indeed have normal internet access with this arrangement, but the
    networking icon in the notification area says "Local Only" when I hover over
    it. Also, when I go into the Network and Sharing Center, there is a red X
    between the router and internet which indicates there is no internet
    connection. How can this be when my internet connection is working fine? I
    tried clicking on the red X for diagnosis and it came back and said there is
    no problem with the internet connection. Then why is there a red X? Note: Up
    until a few days ago, there was no red X and the notification icon said
    "Local and Internet". My internet connection is working fine but I would
    like to get this notification area icon fixed as well as the display in the
    Network and Sharing Center.

  2. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    We had similar post before. It could be the router doesn't compatible with
    Vista. This post may help.

    Vista says I'm not connected to Internet while I am
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=4007

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    > My Vista Home Premium x64 machine is wirelessly connected to a Linksys
    > WRT54G router. I have satellite internet service connected to the WRT54G.
    > My PC does indeed have normal internet access with this arrangement, but
    > the networking icon in the notification area says "Local Only" when I
    > hover over it. Also, when I go into the Network and Sharing Center, there
    > is a red X between the router and internet which indicates there is no
    > internet connection. How can this be when my internet connection is
    > working fine? I tried clicking on the red X for diagnosis and it came back
    > and said there is no problem with the internet connection. Then why is
    > there a red X? Note: Up until a few days ago, there was no red X and the
    > notification icon said "Local and Internet". My internet connection is
    > working fine but I would like to get this notification area icon fixed as
    > well as the display in the Network and Sharing Center.

  3. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    Robert, I ran the test that was referred to in your link. The test showed
    that all router features were supported except these two:
    TCP High Performance Test
    Multiple Simultaneous Connection States Test

    I don't think those two features have any bearing on whether the internet
    connectivity is displayed correctly in Vista. Anyway, the act of running
    that test must have somehow woke up my router because now my internet
    connectivity is displayed correctly in both the notification area icon and

    "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    > We had similar post before. It could be the router doesn't compatible with
    > Vista. This post may help.
    >
    > Vista says I'm not connected to Internet while I am
    > http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=4007
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >> My Vista Home Premium x64 machine is wirelessly connected to a Linksys
    >> WRT54G router. I have satellite internet service connected to the WRT54G.
    >> My PC does indeed have normal internet access with this arrangement, but
    >> the networking icon in the notification area says "Local Only" when I
    >> hover over it. Also, when I go into the Network and Sharing Center, there
    >> is a red X between the router and internet which indicates there is no
    >> internet connection. How can this be when my internet connection is
    >> working fine? I tried clicking on the red X for diagnosis and it came
    >> back and said there is no problem with the internet connection. Then why
    >> is there a red X? Note: Up until a few days ago, there was no red X and
    >> the notification icon said "Local and Internet". My internet connection
    >> is working fine but I would like to get this notification area icon fixed
    >> as well as the display in the Network and Sharing Center.

  4. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    Thank you for the feedback.

    --
    > Robert, I ran the test that was referred to in your link. The test showed
    > that all router features were supported except these two:
    > TCP High Performance Test
    > Multiple Simultaneous Connection States Test
    >
    > I don't think those two features have any bearing on whether the internet
    > connectivity is displayed correctly in Vista. Anyway, the act of running
    > that test must have somehow woke up my router because now my internet
    > connectivity is displayed correctly in both the notification area icon and
    > in the Network and Sharing Center.
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> We had similar post before. It could be the router doesn't compatible
    >> with Vista. This post may help.
    >>
    >> Vista says I'm not connected to Internet while I am
    >> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=4007
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >>> My Vista Home Premium x64 machine is wirelessly connected to a Linksys
    >>> WRT54G router. I have satellite internet service connected to the
    >>> WRT54G. My PC does indeed have normal internet access with this
    >>> arrangement, but the networking icon in the notification area says
    >>> "Local Only" when I hover over it. Also, when I go into the Network and
    >>> Sharing Center, there is a red X between the router and internet which
    >>> indicates there is no internet connection. How can this be when my
    >>> internet connection is working fine? I tried clicking on the red X for
    >>> diagnosis and it came back and said there is no problem with the
    >>> internet connection. Then why is there a red X? Note: Up until a few
    >>> days ago, there was no red X and the notification icon said "Local and
    >>> Internet". My internet connection is working fine but I would like to
    >>> get this notification area icon fixed as well as the display in the
    >>> Network and Sharing Center.

  5. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    Now, about an hour after running the test, it went back to saying that I
    don't have an internet connection, when in actuality I do.

    > Thank you for the feedback.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >> Robert, I ran the test that was referred to in your link. The test showed
    >> that all router features were supported except these two:
    >> TCP High Performance Test
    >> Multiple Simultaneous Connection States Test
    >>
    >> I don't think those two features have any bearing on whether the internet
    >> connectivity is displayed correctly in Vista. Anyway, the act of running
    >> that test must have somehow woke up my router because now my internet
    >> connectivity is displayed correctly in both the notification area icon
    >> and in the Network and Sharing Center.
    >>

    >> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >>> We had similar post before. It could be the router doesn't compatible
    >>> with Vista. This post may help.
    >>>
    >>> Vista says I'm not connected to Internet while I am
    >>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=4007
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    >>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    >>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >>> "Ken Triebold" wrote in message

  6. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    I ran the test again and this time I kept an eye on the networking icon in
    the notification area while the test was running. Right at the time when the
    test for Network Address Translator Type completed, the icon changed to show
    local and internet connectivity. This is a good clue, but I don't know how
    to proceed with it. There is something about Network Address Translator Type
    that is causing a problem with my internet connectivity display.

    > Now, about an hour after running the test, it went back to saying that I
    > don't have an internet connection, when in actuality I do.
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> Thank you for the feedback.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >>> Robert, I ran the test that was referred to in your link. The test
    >>> showed that all router features were supported except these two:
    >>> TCP High Performance Test
    >>> Multiple Simultaneous Connection States Test
    >>>
    >>> I don't think those two features have any bearing on whether the
    >>> internet connectivity is displayed correctly in Vista. Anyway, the act
    >>> of running that test must have somehow woke up my router because now my
    >>> internet connectivity is displayed correctly in both the notification
    >>> area icon and in the Network and Sharing Center.
    >>>

    >>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message

  7. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    do you have the latest firmware applied for your router?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

  8. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    Yes, I just checked that yesterday.

    "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    > do you have the latest firmware applied for your router?
    >
    > On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:36:01 -0500, "Ken Triebold"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I ran the test again and this time I kept an eye on the networking icon in
    >>the notification area while the test was running. Right at the time when
    >>the
    >>test for Network Address Translator Type completed, the icon changed to
    >>show
    >>local and internet connectivity. This is a good clue, but I don't know how
    >>to proceed with it. There is something about Network Address Translator
    >>Type
    >>that is causing a problem with my internet connectivity display.
    >>

    >>"Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >>> Now, about an hour after running the test, it went back to saying that I
    >>> don't have an internet connection, when in actuality I do.
    >>>

    >>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP

  9. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    Do you have any NAY settings in the router or modem?

    --
    > Yes, I just checked that yesterday.
    >

    > "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >> do you have the latest firmware applied for your router?
    >>
    >> On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:36:01 -0500, "Ken Triebold"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I ran the test again and this time I kept an eye on the networking icon
    >>>in
    >>>the notification area while the test was running. Right at the time when
    >>>the
    >>>test for Network Address Translator Type completed, the icon changed to
    >>>show
    >>>local and internet connectivity. This is a good clue, but I don't know
    >>>how
    >>>to proceed with it. There is something about Network Address Translator
    >>>Type
    >>>that is causing a problem with my internet connectivity display.
    >>>

    >>>"Ken Triebold" wrote in message

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS-MVP

  10. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    Sorry, Robert. I don't know what NAY settings are. I know I did not set up
    any NAY settings on these devices.

    -Ken

    > Do you have any NAY settings in the router or modem?
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >> Yes, I just checked that yesterday.
    >>

    >> "Barb Bowman" wrote in message
    >>> do you have the latest firmware applied for your router?

    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Barb Bowman
    >>> MS-MVP
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

  11. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    sorry, NAT.

    --
    > Sorry, Robert. I don't know what NAY settings are. I know I did not set up
    > any NAY settings on these devices.
    >
    > -Ken
    >

    > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> Do you have any NAY settings in the router or modem?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >>> Yes, I just checked that yesterday.
    >>>

    >>> "Barb Bowman" wrote in message

  12. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    Robert, under my router firewall settings, there is an item "Filter Internet
    NAT Redirection" with a check box. The check box is not checked.

    > sorry, NAT.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    > "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >> Sorry, Robert. I don't know what NAY settings are. I know I did not set
    >> up any NAY settings on these devices.
    >>
    >> -Ken
    >>

    >> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >>> Do you have any NAY settings in the router or modem?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
    >>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
    >>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >>> "Ken Triebold" wrote in message

  13. Re: Have Internet Connection, but Vista says Not

    I also had a similar problem with my Vista box at the office. I somehow found
    a Vista patch which is letting the older style router report correctly.

    On 20/05/2008 "Ken Triebold" wrote:
    >Robert, under my router firewall settings, there is an item "Filter Internet
    >NAT Redirection" with a check box. The check box is not checked.
    >

    >"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
    >> sorry, NAT.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >> "Ken Triebold" wrote in message
    >>> Sorry, Robert. I don't know what NAY settings are. I know I did not set
    >>> up any NAY settings on these devices.
    >>>
    >>> -Ken
    >>>

    >>> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote in message

  14. Same Problem

    Ken,
    I have the same problem, but also only recently. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting seems to help.
    The system sometimes reports no problem with the connection if I click on red X and ask for a diagnosis of the problem, at other times is reports that it cannot fix the problem and asks me to call the Sys Admin, rarely, it resets the wireless card which sometimes also fixes the problem.
    Frustrating, isn't it?

  15. Re: Same Problem

    What same problem, as you didn't include any quotes from another post I have
    no idea what you are talking about.

    --
    Joan Archer
    http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

    "Michael Manning" wrote in message news:2008819223420mtmmd@verizon.net...
    > Ken,
    > I have the same problem, but also only recently. Sometimes disconnecting
    > and reconnecting seems to help.
    > The system sometimes reports no problem with the connection if I click on
    > red X and ask for a diagnosis of the problem, at other times is reports
    > that it cannot fix the problem and asks me to call the Sys Admin, rarely,
    > it resets the wireless card which sometimes also fixes the problem.
    > Frustrating, isn't it?

  16. Re: Same Problem

    Joan Archer wrote:
    > What same problem, as you didn't include any quotes from another post I
    > have no idea what you are talking about.

    Not only no copy of original post, but didn't reply to the post.
    Either would have been sufficient.

  17. Re: Same Problem

    Perhaps that's because you're not Ken. He might know what Mike's talking
    about
    :-p

    "Joan Archer" wrote in message
    > What same problem, as you didn't include any quotes from another post I
    > have no idea what you are talking about.
    >
    > --
    > Joan Archer
    > http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher
    > http://lachsoft.com/photogallery
    >
    > "Michael Manning" wrote in message news:2008819223420mtmmd@verizon.net...
    >> Ken,
    >> I have the same problem, but also only recently. Sometimes disconnecting
    >> and reconnecting seems to help.
    >> The system sometimes reports no problem with the connection if I click on
    >> red X and ask for a diagnosis of the problem, at other times is reports
    >> that it cannot fix the problem and asks me to call the Sys Admin, rarely,
    >> it resets the wireless card which sometimes also fixes the problem.
    >> Frustrating, isn't it?

+ Reply to Thread