Connecting H-P Deskjet 6840 Printer to computer running Vista - Wireless

This is a discussion on Connecting H-P Deskjet 6840 Printer to computer running Vista - Wireless ; I recently upgraded my Dell Optiplex GX620 to Vista OS. My H-P Deskjet 6840 printer "lost' its connection with the computer. (It worked wirelessly before the upgrade from Windows XP.) The printer returns an IP address: 169.254.211.9; the Wanadoo (France ...

  1. Connecting H-P Deskjet 6840 Printer to computer running Vista

    I recently upgraded my Dell Optiplex GX620 to Vista OS. My H-P Deskjet 6840
    printer "lost' its connection with the computer. (It worked wirelessly
    before the upgrade from Windows XP.) The printer returns an IP address:
    169.254.211.9; the Wanadoo (France Telecom) LiveBox router returns an IP
    address: 192.168.168.145. The printer does not "talk" to the router (or vice
    versa) even with the Ethernet cable connected. The installation disk that
    came with computer will not install on Vista OS. The driver downloaded from
    the h-P site does not install as it cannot find: hpzmsi01.exe.

    I've spent more than three hours "chatting" with H-P's technicians. They do
    not seem able to solve the problem.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Connecting H-P Deskjet 6840 Printer to computer running Vista

    Hi
    If it is a Network Printer it should not be dependent on the computer OS
    since it should converse first with the Router.
    Otherwise a printer that is Not a network printer does not have an IP. I.e.
    it is Not clear what is the roll of changing to Vista is?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "melcroner" wrote in message
    >I recently upgraded my Dell Optiplex GX620 to Vista OS. My H-P Deskjet
    >6840
    > printer "lost' its connection with the computer. (It worked wirelessly
    > before the upgrade from Windows XP.) The printer returns an IP address:
    > 169.254.211.9; the Wanadoo (France Telecom) LiveBox router returns an IP
    > address: 192.168.168.145. The printer does not "talk" to the router (or
    > vice
    > versa) even with the Ethernet cable connected. The installation disk that
    > came with computer will not install on Vista OS. The driver downloaded
    > from
    > the h-P site does not install as it cannot find: hpzmsi01.exe.
    >
    > I've spent more than three hours "chatting" with H-P's technicians. They
    > do
    > not seem able to solve the problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  3. Re: Connecting H-P Deskjet 6840 Printer to computer running Vista

    169.254.xxx.yyy seems to indicate a problem with the DHCP service.
    No matter how this printer is connected to the network, it shopuld
    always be set to a constant IP address (aka static.)

    On May 18, 11:46*am, melcroner
    wrote:
    > I recently upgraded my Dell Optiplex GX620 to Vista OS. *My H-P Deskjet 6840
    > printer "lost' its connection with the computer. *(It worked wirelessly
    > before the upgrade from Windows XP.) *The printer returns an IP address:
    > 169.254.211.9; the Wanadoo (France Telecom) LiveBox router returns an IP
    > address: 192.168.168.145. *The printer does not "talk" to the router (orvice
    > versa) even with the Ethernet cable connected. *The installation disk that
    > came with computer will not install on Vista OS. *The driver downloaded from
    > the h-P site does not install as it cannot find: hpzmsi01.exe. *
    >
    > I've spent more than three hours "chatting" with H-P's technicians. *They do
    > not seem able to solve the problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?

  4. Re: Connecting H-P Deskjet 6840 Printer to computer running Vista

    I am having a problem that seems similar to the original. Two Sony Vista OS
    laptops connect to my Netgear router happily. Attempting to install HP
    wireless printer, it refuses to see the SSID of the network, although it
    sees other networks in the area. HP has no answer. I'm waiting for a
    Netgear email response to this question. Can anyone on the forum help?

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > 169.254.xxx.yyy seems to indicate a problem with the DHCP service.
    > No matter how this printer is connected to the network, it shopuld
    > always be set to a constant IP address (aka static.)
    >
    > On May 18, 11:46 am, melcroner
    > wrote:
    > > I recently upgraded my Dell Optiplex GX620 to Vista OS. My H-P Deskjet 6840
    > > printer "lost' its connection with the computer. (It worked wirelessly
    > > before the upgrade from Windows XP.) The printer returns an IP address:
    > > 169.254.211.9; the Wanadoo (France Telecom) LiveBox router returns an IP
    > > address: 192.168.168.145. The printer does not "talk" to the router (or vice
    > > versa) even with the Ethernet cable connected. The installation disk that
    > > came with computer will not install on Vista OS. The driver downloaded from
    > > the h-P site does not install as it cannot find: hpzmsi01.exe.
    > >
    > > I've spent more than three hours "chatting" with H-P's technicians. They do
    > > not seem able to solve the problem.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

  5. Re: Connecting H-P Deskjet 6840 Printer to computer running Vista

    melcroner wrote:
    > I recently upgraded my Dell Optiplex GX620 to Vista OS. My H-P Deskjet 6840
    > printer "lost' its connection with the computer. (It worked wirelessly
    > before the upgrade from Windows XP.) The printer returns an IP address:
    > 169.254.211.9; the Wanadoo (France Telecom) LiveBox router returns an IP
    > address: 192.168.168.145. The printer does not "talk" to the router (or vice
    > versa) even with the Ethernet cable connected. The installation disk that
    > came with computer will not install on Vista OS. The driver downloaded from
    > the h-P site does not install as it cannot find: hpzmsi01.exe.
    >
    > I've spent more than three hours "chatting" with H-P's technicians. They do
    > not seem able to solve the problem.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    If you don't have a Vista driver installed, and it sounds like you
    don't, any wireless networking issues are secondary to your problem.

    You probably should completely uninstall the printer and all related hp
    software. Then go to the hp website and download the Vista driver
    (which unfortunately comes bundled with hp's bloated software package).
    Don't forget to also download the hp "critical update" to prevent
    "unexpected unstallation" of your printer.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...385458&lang=en
    or http://tinyurl.com/6xvfjt

    I don't have experience with Vista, but from what I've seen, you
    probably should use the Vista Add Printer Wizard rather than the hp
    install routine to install the printer. I would guess that you would
    also be better off installing it as a USB-connected printer first, and
    then configuring the printer port and the printer itself manually.

    For more detailed advice, post your question in

    microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP