How do I print wirelessly? - Wireless

This is a discussion on How do I print wirelessly? - Wireless ; I have a hp OfficeJet Pro L7680 All-in One printer, A PC running XP Pro, a HP Pavillion dv 6000Entertainment laptop and a Netgear DG834G, see http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...Specifications Both PC and laptop are connected, via network cables to the router. Both ...

  1. How do I print wirelessly?

    I have a hp OfficeJet Pro L7680 All-in One printer, A PC running XP Pro, a
    HP Pavillion dv 6000Entertainment laptop and a Netgear DG834G, see
    http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...Specifications

    Both PC and laptop are connected, via network cables to the router. Both
    connect to the internet well, at times both at the same time.

    Should I require to print anything I manually connect either the PC or the
    laptop to the printer via a USB cable.

    I wish to be able to:

    a) Keep the PC and the printer connected permanently. (No problem)

    b) Be able to wirelessly use the laptop to connect to the internet and
    wirelessly print documents from the laptop (The Main problem)

    Detailed advice for a COMPLETE novice will be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: How do I print wirelessly?

    Stan in South Africa wrote:
    > I have a hp OfficeJet Pro L7680 All-in One printer, A PC running XP Pro, a
    > HP Pavillion dv 6000Entertainment laptop and a Netgear DG834G, see
    > http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...Specifications
    >

    > Both PC and laptop are connected, via network cables to the router. Both
    > connect to the internet well, at times both at the same time.
    >

    > Should I require to print anything I manually connect either the PC or the
    > laptop to the printer via a USB cable.
    >

    > I wish to be able to:
    >
    > a) Keep the PC and the printer connected permanently. (No problem)
    >
    > b) Be able to wirelessly use the laptop to connect to the internet and
    > wirelessly print documents from the laptop (The Main problem)
    >
    > Detailed advice for a COMPLETE novice will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Sharing your printer this way is easily done, however (a) you will only
    be able to print from the laptop when the PC is active (on and not in
    standby) and (b) it is likely that *only* the printing function of your
    "all-in-one" device will be available from your laptop.

    You didn't say, but I assume that the PC is running XP Pro sp2 and the
    laptop is running XP (Home or Pro) sp2.

    There are 3 steps:

    1. Set up your wireless connection.

    The User Guide/Reference Manual for your Netgear router should explain
    how to do the following. Read it.

    From either computer connected by cable to the router, log on to the
    router's configuration utility. You do this by opening a web browser on
    the computer and entering the router's address (default 192.168.0.1).
    The default username is admin and the default password is password (you
    should change the default password, if you haven't done so already).

    Get to the wireless settings area and (1) change the SSID to something
    you will recognize as uniquely yours, but not your last name or home
    address and (2) set the encryption level. The encryption level you use
    will depend on the capability of the wireless adapter in your laptop.
    If the laptop is reasonably new it will support at least WPA.

    WPA2 is more secure. In either case, select the "PSK" (Pre-Shared Key)
    variety (if you are later asked for any settings for a RADIUS server, go
    back and be sure to select the PSK encryption option). Leave everything
    else at default settings.

    While your laptop is still connected by cable to the router, go to
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357/en-us and get and install the
    WPA2 update (if you haven't already).

    Now, disconnect the laptop from the router, make sure the wireless
    adapter is turned on, and connect to your router. How you do this
    depends on what software is being used to control your laptop's wireless
    adapter. If it's Windows, you can right-click on the wireless network
    icon in the lower right corner (near the clock) and "View Available
    Wireless Networks." Pick your network. You will need to enter the
    passphrase you used in setting up encryption on the router.

    Assuming that you can now connect to the Internet wirelessly from the
    laptop ...

    2. Set up your network to permit file and printer sharing.

    The easiest way is to run the Windows XP Network Setup Wizard (NOT the
    Wireless Setup Wizard) on both computers.

    You must be logged on as a user with Administrator rights to use the
    Network Setup Wizard. See the following for step by step instructions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/homenet.mspx

    In step 8 (select a connection method): pick the option shown -- this
    computer connects ... through a residential gateway

    In step 12, select the button to "Turn on file and printer sharing."

    Note that the Wizard turns on the Windows Firewall. If you have a
    third-party software firewall, you must turn off Windows Firewall and be
    sure to configure your firewall to permit LAN traffic. The simplest way
    to do this is to configure the firewall to allow traffic from a range of
    IP addresses, e.g., 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.254. If you have an antivirus
    application that has "Internet worm protection" or the like, that may
    have to be configured as well.

    3. Once the network settings are correct, you can share the printer.

    See the following for step by step instructions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../printers.mspx

    In step 4, give the printer a short (< 12 character) name using no
    spaces or special characters.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP