modem does not work - Wireless

This is a discussion on modem does not work - Wireless ; Problem: I am a computer novice. I have an older Dell Inspiron 3500 Laptop with a new hard drive and Win XP. Prior to the new drive, I had no problems with my modem or connecting to the internet via ...

  1. modem does not work

    Problem: I am a computer novice. I have an older Dell Inspiron 3500 Laptop
    with a new hard drive and Win XP. Prior to the new drive, I had no problems
    with my modem or connecting to the internet via dialup. Since the new hard
    drive, the computer detects the modem, and claims that the device is working
    properly, but I get no dial tone and no internet connection. I tried doing a
    find new hardware, but the modem is in there. I tried all the Win XP problem
    solvers, but they don't work or are not applicable. Anyone know of any other
    tricks?

  2. Re: modem does not work

    On May 18, 2:36*am, mia vai wrote:
    > Problem: I am a computer novice. *I have an older Dell Inspiron 3500 Laptop
    > with a new hard drive and Win XP. *Prior to the new drive, I had no problems
    > with my modem or connecting to the internet via dialup. *Since the new hard
    > drive, the computer detects the modem, and claims that the device is working
    > properly, but I get no dial tone and no internet connection. *I tried doing a
    > find new hardware, but the modem is in there. *I tried all the Win XP problem
    > solvers, but they don't work or are not applicable. *Anyone know of any other
    > tricks?

    How did you install XP onto the new drive? Did you do a re-install of
    your Xp or did you copy the "old" drive onto the new drive?

  3. Re: modem does not work

    "mia vai" wrote in message
    news2AEA73B-BCD3-4E82-8F66-2E4EBB96B619@microsoft.com...

    > Problem: I am a computer novice. I have an older Dell Inspiron 3500

    Laptop
    > with a new hard drive and Win XP. Prior to the new drive, I had no

    problems
    > with my modem or connecting to the internet via dialup. Since the new

    hard
    > drive, the computer detects the modem, and claims that the device is

    working
    > properly, but I get no dial tone and no internet connection. I tried

    doing a
    > find new hardware, but the modem is in there. I tried all the Win XP

    problem
    > solvers, but they don't work or are not applicable. Anyone know of any

    other
    > tricks?

    1. PCs call components like modems "devices." The standard
    cure for any malfunctioning modem is to remove it from
    / Control Panel / System / Device Manager
    and then reboot. Default start-up procedures ought to recognize
    a "new device" and instal it for you.

    2. To use the Internet, you need to instal "Diall Up Networking
    and in / Control Panel / Network
    some other software e.g. TCP/IP "protocol." The
    modem Wizard (or the modem troubleshooter) ought to
    hold your hand through this process.

    Try these two steps and post results here. (Because
    this NG is for wireless users, cf. name, it may get less
    traffic from dial-up users than others. But having
    started this thread here you ought to follow through.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  4. Re: modem does not work

    I re -install XP on to the new drive.

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On May 18, 2:36 am, mia vai wrote:
    > > Problem: I am a computer novice. I have an older Dell Inspiron 3500 Laptop
    > > with a new hard drive and Win XP. Prior to the new drive, I had no problems
    > > with my modem or connecting to the internet via dialup. Since the new hard
    > > drive, the computer detects the modem, and claims that the device is working
    > > properly, but I get no dial tone and no internet connection. I tried doing a
    > > find new hardware, but the modem is in there. I tried all the Win XP problem
    > > solvers, but they don't work or are not applicable. Anyone know of any other
    > > tricks?

    > How did you install XP onto the new drive? Did you do a re-install of
    > your Xp or did you copy the "old" drive onto the new drive?

  5. Re: modem does not work

    "Don Phillipson" wrote:

    > "mia vai" wrote in message
    > news2AEA73B-BCD3-4E82-8F66-2E4EBB96B619@microsoft.com...
    >
    > > Problem: I am a computer novice. I have an older Dell Inspiron 3500

    > Laptop
    > > with a new hard drive and Win XP. Prior to the new drive, I had no

    > problems
    > > with my modem or connecting to the internet via dialup. Since the new

    > hard
    > > drive, the computer detects the modem, and claims that the device is

    > working
    > > properly, but I get no dial tone and no internet connection. I tried

    > doing a
    > > find new hardware, but the modem is in there. I tried all the Win XP

    > problem
    > > solvers, but they don't work or are not applicable. Anyone know of any

    > other
    > > tricks?

    > 1. PCs call components like modems "devices." The standard
    > cure for any malfunctioning modem is to remove it from
    > / Control Panel / System / Device Manager
    > and then reboot. Default start-up procedures ought to recognize
    > a "new device" and instal it for you.
    >
    > 2. To use the Internet, you need to instal "Diall Up Networking
    > and in / Control Panel / Network
    > some other software e.g. TCP/IP "protocol." The
    > modem Wizard (or the modem troubleshooter) ought to
    > hold your hand through this process.
    >
    > Try these two steps and post results here. (Because
    > this NG is for wireless users, cf. name, it may get less
    > traffic from dial-up users than others. But having
    > started this thread here you ought to follow through.)
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)
    >

    > Thanks, Don.

    I uninstalled my modem and attempted to have it recognized by 'found new
    hardware'. It found the modem and claims it works properly, but still no
    dial tone. I will try to make sure I have networking downloaded and see if
    that makes a difference. I have not received any error messages indicating
    that I am missing networking, though.
    mia vai

+ Reply to Thread