wireless disrupts wired??? - Wireless

This is a discussion on wireless disrupts wired??? - Wireless ; My pc in the bedroom connects to my (wireless) router through a "wired" connection through the electrical in my house. I've used this system for a few years and works *great*. My daughter got a laptop this week and she ...

  1. wireless disrupts wired???

    My pc in the bedroom connects to my (wireless) router through a
    "wired" connection through the electrical in my house. I've used this
    system for a few years and works *great*.

    My daughter got a laptop this week and she uses a wireless connection
    to our router. Now we get interruptions to our pc that is wired.

    Is this possible or is it just a coincidence? The problems started
    pretty much the same day she connected, if I remember right.

    It does seem like the problems happen at night. Is it possibly the
    fault of Comcast? I know a cable connection can slow when many people
    are using it, but I didn't know you could actually lose your
    connection.

    thanks

  2. Re: wireless disrupts wired???

    "S" wrote in message

    > My daughter got a laptop this week and she uses a wireless connection
    > to our router. Now we get interruptions to our pc that is wired.

    What kind of interruptions? How bad? or how long does it last?

    > Is this possible or is it just a coincidence? The problems started
    > pretty much the same day she connected, if I remember right.

    It could very well be a coincidence but if I were you, I'd look into it just
    to make sure.

    > It does seem like the problems happen at night. Is it possibly the
    > fault of Comcast?

    Don't know. When your wired PC connection is "interrupted", did you try
    shutting down the laptop and see if the problem goes away? Also, when
    "interrupted", did you check all LED indicators (on the wifi router or on
    your cable modem) to see if there's any traffic between your home and the
    internet?

  3. Re: wireless disrupts wired???

    Hi
    This is Not a normal situation, you can use few wired, few wireless
    computers, and still have a good connection.
    Check the Router's manual about DHCP and provided IPs it might be that some
    thing is Not correct with the settings.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "S" wrote in message
    > My pc in the bedroom connects to my (wireless) router through a
    > "wired" connection through the electrical in my house. I've used this
    > system for a few years and works *great*.
    >
    > My daughter got a laptop this week and she uses a wireless connection
    > to our router. Now we get interruptions to our pc that is wired.
    >
    > Is this possible or is it just a coincidence? The problems started
    > pretty much the same day she connected, if I remember right.
    >
    > It does seem like the problems happen at night. Is it possibly the
    > fault of Comcast? I know a cable connection can slow when many people
    > are using it, but I didn't know you could actually lose your
    > connection.
    >
    > thanks

  4. Re: wireless disrupts wired???

    "S" wrote in message
    > My pc in the bedroom connects to my (wireless) router through a
    > "wired" connection through the electrical in my house. I've used this
    > system for a few years and works *great*.
    >
    > My daughter got a laptop this week and she uses a wireless connection
    > to our router. Now we get interruptions to our pc that is wired.

    Interruption to what?

    > Is this possible or is it just a coincidence? The problems started
    > pretty much the same day she connected, if I remember right.

    Coincidence. Unless your "router is only giving out a few addresses (DHCP)
    and you don't have enough address to cover all the machines. I believe this
    is what Jack was asking about. This would not *normally* be the case, but
    if someone got into the router's config and screwed around with things it
    could be misconfigured by reducing the range of addresses given out by DHCP
    to a too small range by virtue of maybe a typo in the config.

    Also make sure that your daughter is not connecting to the router with both
    a cable and the wireless method at the same time,...choose one or the
    other,..not both. That will not cause your other machines to have problems
    other than it eats up yet another address via DHCP,...howwever it will cause
    her problems because you end up with the same machine having two Nics on the
    same LAN segment at the same time. Tha machine can become "confused" about
    which nic it is supposed to use and will "confuse" your other machine's
    ability to properly identify the daughteers machine when it "appears" on the
    LAN

    > It does seem like the problems happen at night. Is it possibly the
    > fault of Comcast? I know a cable connection can slow when many people
    > are using it, but I didn't know you could actually lose your
    > connection.

    That is the "Interruption to what?" question. Your PCs do not connect to
    the Internet (ever). They connect to the router,...the router connects to
    the Internet. If Comcast drops the connection the router becomes
    disconnected to the Internet and the PCs loose access to the Internet,...but
    they are still connected to the router and still have access to the home's
    LAN.

    Comcast does not "run" your Home's LAN,...they simply provide the Internet
    connection to the building.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com