Workgroup....access denied - Wireless

This is a discussion on Workgroup....access denied - Wireless ; I have been struggling for 2 days. I have set up a workgroup. Desktop 1 is hardwired and desktop 2 is wireless. I can see icons for both desktops in the workgroup but desktop 1 does not allow me to ...

  1. Workgroup....access denied

    I have been struggling for 2 days. I have set up a workgroup. Desktop 1 is
    hardwired and desktop 2 is wireless. I can see icons for both desktops in
    the workgroup but desktop 1 does not allow me to access desktop 2. However
    desktop 2 allows me to open and view desktop 1.

    I have read different threads and have gone through:
    disabled firewall temporarily;no success
    changed restrictanonymous to 0 on both; no success
    went to windows update and downloaded a patch for windows xp server....on
    desktop 2; no success.

    I am assuming that the problem is with desktop 2 since it is an access issue?

    PLEASE HELP!
    --
    Thanks in advance....

  2. Re: Workgroup....access denied

    It could be the permission issue. Have you tried to create the same username
    on both computers? Or this troubleshooting may help.
    Access issues
    "computername is not accessible. No permission to access the
    resources" ... Message: "....is not accessible. You may not have permission
    to use this network ...
    www.chicagotech.net/accesserrors.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net
    "sldortu" wrote in message
    >I have been struggling for 2 days. I have set up a workgroup. Desktop 1
    >is
    > hardwired and desktop 2 is wireless. I can see icons for both desktops in
    > the workgroup but desktop 1 does not allow me to access desktop 2.
    > However
    > desktop 2 allows me to open and view desktop 1.
    >
    > I have read different threads and have gone through:
    > disabled firewall temporarily;no success
    > changed restrictanonymous to 0 on both; no success
    > went to windows update and downloaded a patch for windows xp server....on
    > desktop 2; no success.
    >
    > I am assuming that the problem is with desktop 2 since it is an access
    > issue?
    >
    > PLEASE HELP!
    > --
    > Thanks in advance....

  3. Re: Workgroup....access denied

    Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    http://www.microsoft.com/techn...evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "sldortu" wrote in message
    >I have been struggling for 2 days. I have set up a workgroup. Desktop 1
    >is
    > hardwired and desktop 2 is wireless. I can see icons for both desktops in
    > the workgroup but desktop 1 does not allow me to access desktop 2.
    > However
    > desktop 2 allows me to open and view desktop 1.
    >
    > I have read different threads and have gone through:
    > disabled firewall temporarily;no success
    > changed restrictanonymous to 0 on both; no success
    > went to windows update and downloaded a patch for windows xp server....on
    > desktop 2; no success.
    >
    > I am assuming that the problem is with desktop 2 since it is an access
    > issue?
    >
    > PLEASE HELP!
    > --
    > Thanks in advance....

  4. Re: Workgroup....access denied

    "sldortu" wrote in message
    >I have been struggling for 2 days. I have set up a workgroup. Desktop 1
    >is
    > hardwired and desktop 2 is wireless. I can see icons for both desktops in
    > the workgroup but desktop 1 does not allow me to access desktop 2.
    > However
    > desktop 2 allows me to open and view desktop 1.
    >
    > I have read different threads and have gone through:
    > disabled firewall temporarily;no success
    > changed restrictanonymous to 0 on both; no success
    > went to windows update and downloaded a patch for windows xp server....on
    > desktop 2; no success.
    >
    > I am assuming that the problem is with desktop 2 since it is an access
    > issue?
    >
    > PLEASE HELP!
    > --
    > Thanks in advance....

    Make sure desktop2 has shared folder (or shared drive). Make sure share
    permissions (not file permissions but share permissions) are set so everyone
    has full control. Then make sure desktop2 file permisions allow for users
    from desktop1 to connect (put exact same username and password accounts on
    desktop1 and desktop2).

    -Frank

+ Reply to Thread