Disable wireless when wired - Wireless

This is a discussion on Disable wireless when wired - Wireless ; I know you can use metrics etc to give priorities but I'd rather disable the wireless when a wired connection is detected. You can do this with manually in the advanced properties for a nic (at least some that I've ...

  1. Disable wireless when wired

    I know you can use metrics etc to give priorities but I'd rather disable the
    wireless when a wired connection is detected. You can do this with manually
    in the advanced properties for a nic (at least some that I've tried) but I'd
    like to know how to do this via GPO or something.

    We have limited IP addresses and wasting them on wireless when the laptop is
    docked is a problem for us.

    Any other suggestions welcome.

  2. Re: Disable wireless when wired

    Hi
    Drag shortcuts of the two Connections to the desktop.
    When you do not need the Wireless right click on the icon and choose
    Disable.
    It takes about 3sec.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Paul Thomsen" wrote in message
    >I know you can use metrics etc to give priorities but I'd rather disable
    >the
    > wireless when a wired connection is detected. You can do this with
    > manually
    > in the advanced properties for a nic (at least some that I've tried) but
    > I'd
    > like to know how to do this via GPO or something.
    >
    > We have limited IP addresses and wasting them on wireless when the laptop
    > is
    > docked is a problem for us.
    >
    > Any other suggestions welcome.

  3. Re: Disable wireless when wired

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Drag shortcuts of the two Connections to the desktop.
    > When you do not need the Wireless right click on the icon and choose
    > Disable.
    > It takes about 3sec.
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Yeah, but only after the user is logged in, when it's too late (and if
    you've got a domain it can cause some minor problems to have both enabled at
    once)

    To the OP: another option might involve the phyiscal toggle/button on the
    laptop to enable or disable wireless. Not as elegant, but works well.

    > "Paul Thomsen" wrote in
    > message news:51D8A56F-9F6D-49AB-BBD5-FDE8A4374909@microsoft.com...
    >> I know you can use metrics etc to give priorities but I'd rather
    >> disable the
    >> wireless when a wired connection is detected. You can do this with
    >> manually
    >> in the advanced properties for a nic (at least some that I've tried)
    >> but I'd
    >> like to know how to do this via GPO or something.
    >>
    >> We have limited IP addresses and wasting them on wireless when the
    >> laptop is
    >> docked is a problem for us.
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions welcome.

+ Reply to Thread