Network Connection Problem - Wireless

This is a discussion on Network Connection Problem - Wireless ; We have a home network consisting of a desktop computer running Win XP linked to a modem via a Linksys Router. In another room we have a laptop (running Windows Vista) which is linked to the internet via the wireless ...

  1. Network Connection Problem

    We have a home network consisting of a desktop computer running Win XP linked
    to a modem via a Linksys Router. In another room we have a laptop (running
    Windows Vista) which is linked to the internet via the wireless router. The
    laptop however will not connect to the internet although the connection to
    the home network appears fine and the internet runs perfectly well on the
    desktop. I had it briefly going when I first fired up the system this morning
    but have since lost it again. Any ideas as to what is happening and on how to
    solve it. Thank You. Paul B.

  2. Re: Network Connection Problem

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?= wrote in

    > We have a home network consisting of a desktop computer running Win XP
    > linked to a modem via a Linksys Router. In another room we have a
    > laptop (running Windows Vista) which is linked to the internet via the
    > wireless router. The laptop however will not connect to the internet
    > although the connection to the home network appears fine and the
    > internet runs perfectly well on the desktop. I had it briefly going
    > when I first fired up the system this morning but have since lost it
    > again. Any ideas as to what is happening and on how to solve it. Thank
    > You. Paul B.

    This suggestion maybe a bit too obvious but have you tried making a
    connection with the laptop in the same room as the desktop/router....if
    there's a good solid connection present under those circumstances then
    probably something is either blocking on interfering with the wireless
    signal when you move the laptop to the other room. That's the first thing
    I would check out. :-)

  3. Re: Network Connection Problem

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > We have a home network consisting of a desktop computer running Win XP
    > linked
    > to a modem via a Linksys Router. In another room we have a laptop (running
    > Windows Vista) which is linked to the internet via the wireless router.
    > The
    > laptop however will not connect to the internet although the connection to
    > the home network appears fine and the internet runs perfectly well on the
    > desktop. I had it briefly going when I first fired up the system this
    > morning
    > but have since lost it again. Any ideas as to what is happening and on how
    > solve it. Thank You. Paul B.

  4. RE: Network Connection Problem

    Thank you for the help offered but no success. I moved the laptop into the
    same area as the router and tried but again no go. The network status display
    on the laptop shows the signal strength as excellent so that side of it is
    fine. We just cannot access the internet via the router. I then plugged the
    laptop directly into the cable running from the router to the desktop and
    still could not get internet access despite the desktop being able to do so.
    That must indicate that the laptop itself needs configuring but I cannot see
    what needs to be done, especially with its running Vista. Any ideas on what
    to do in fairly simple terms would be great!!

    "Paul" wrote:

    > We have a home network consisting of a desktop computer running Win XP linked
    > to a modem via a Linksys Router. In another room we have a laptop (running
    > Windows Vista) which is linked to the internet via the wireless router. The
    > laptop however will not connect to the internet although the connection to
    > the home network appears fine and the internet runs perfectly well on the
    > desktop. I had it briefly going when I first fired up the system this morning
    > but have since lost it again. Any ideas as to what is happening and on how to
    > solve it. Thank You. Paul B.

  5. Re: Network Connection Problem

    Hi
    First check the device manger and make sure that you have a valid Wireless
    Adaptor.
    Then this might help.
    http://www.watchingthenet.com/window...s-network.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Paul" wrote in message
    > Thank you for the help offered but no success. I moved the laptop into the
    > same area as the router and tried but again no go. The network status
    > display
    > on the laptop shows the signal strength as excellent so that side of it is
    > fine. We just cannot access the internet via the router. I then plugged
    > the
    > laptop directly into the cable running from the router to the desktop and
    > still could not get internet access despite the desktop being able to do
    > so.
    > That must indicate that the laptop itself needs configuring but I cannot
    > see
    > what needs to be done, especially with its running Vista. Any ideas on
    > what
    > to do in fairly simple terms would be great!!
    >
    > "Paul" wrote:
    >
    >> We have a home network consisting of a desktop computer running Win XP
    >> linked
    >> to a modem via a Linksys Router. In another room we have a laptop
    >> (running
    >> Windows Vista) which is linked to the internet via the wireless router.
    >> The
    >> laptop however will not connect to the internet although the connection
    >> the home network appears fine and the internet runs perfectly well on the
    >> desktop. I had it briefly going when I first fired up the system this
    >> morning
    >> but have since lost it again. Any ideas as to what is happening and on
    >> how to
    >> solve it. Thank You. Paul B.

+ Reply to Thread