Vista Backup & Restore - Wireless

This is a discussion on Vista Backup & Restore - Wireless ; My equipment: Laptop connected wireless to a router. Desktop connected to same router with Ethernet cable. Seagate external HDD, connected to the desktop with a USB 2 connection. I'm trying to use Vista Backup & Restore to backup the laptop ...

  1. Vista Backup & Restore

    My equipment:
    Laptop connected wireless to a router.
    Desktop connected to same router with Ethernet cable.
    Seagate external HDD, connected to the desktop with a USB 2 connection.

    I'm trying to use Vista Backup & Restore to backup the laptop to the
    external HDD.
    When I try to set it up, the program finds the disk alright. But then it
    asks for a user & password. What user & password? I tried with all the PW's
    and users I have on the two computers, but nothing works. I can't get by
    this so I'm stuck here, please help!

    Roger

    PS. On the desktop it runs just great.

  2. Re: Vista Backup & Restore

    "R" wrote in message

    > My equipment:
    > Laptop connected wireless to a router.
    > Desktop connected to same router with Ethernet cable.
    > Seagate external HDD, connected to the desktop with a USB 2 connection.
    >
    > I'm trying to use Vista Backup & Restore to backup the laptop to the
    > external HDD.
    > When I try to set it up, the program finds the disk alright. But then it
    > asks for a user & password. What user & password? I tried with all the

    PW's
    > and users I have on the two computers, but nothing works. I can't get by
    > this so I'm stuck here, please help!

    Is the app not asking you to create a new password
    for this backup alone ?

    Beware multiposting.
    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

  3. Re: Vista Backup & Restore

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:11:56 -0400, "R" wrote:

    >My equipment:
    >Laptop connected wireless to a router.
    >Desktop connected to same router with Ethernet cable.
    >Seagate external HDD, connected to the desktop with a USB 2 connection.
    >
    >I'm trying to use Vista Backup & Restore to backup the laptop to the
    >external HDD.
    >When I try to set it up, the program finds the disk alright. But then it
    >asks for a user & password. What user & password? I tried with all the PW's
    >and users I have on the two computers, but nothing works. I can't get by
    >this so I'm stuck here, please help!
    >
    >Roger
    >
    >PS. On the desktop it runs just great.

    Do you have file sharing working between the 2 computers, in general? Start
    there - see if you can get a folder on the desktop computer accessible from the
    laptop computer. All HDDs aren't network ready. And Vista has its own
    challenges with network access.

    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...-together.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

  4. Re: Vista Backup & Restore

    Oooops! Now it's working! The backup is running. What I did was I tried my
    old desktop username (I changed some time ago). Does that mean that the old
    username is left there somewhere in my desktop. I thought it was enough to
    change it trough "Control Panel > User Accounts.

    "Chuck [MVP]" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:11:56 -0400, "R" wrote:
    >
    >>My equipment:
    >>Laptop connected wireless to a router.
    >>Desktop connected to same router with Ethernet cable.
    >>Seagate external HDD, connected to the desktop with a USB 2 connection.
    >>
    >>I'm trying to use Vista Backup & Restore to backup the laptop to the
    >>external HDD.
    >>When I try to set it up, the program finds the disk alright. But then it
    >>asks for a user & password. What user & password? I tried with all the
    >>PW's
    >>and users I have on the two computers, but nothing works. I can't get by
    >>this so I'm stuck here, please help!
    >>
    >>Roger
    >>
    >>PS. On the desktop it runs just great.

    > Do you have file sharing working between the 2 computers, in general?
    > Start
    > there - see if you can get a folder on the desktop computer accessible
    > from the
    > laptop computer. All HDDs aren't network ready. And Vista has its own
    > challenges with network access.
    >
    > http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...-together.html
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,