IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working] - Wireless

This is a discussion on IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working] - Wireless ; Thanks to everyone who responded to the last thread. I finally discovered that the Netgear Super-G card was intermittently failing and probably just happened to work when I tried it in another computer. I replaced the failing card with a ...

  1. IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    Thanks to everyone who responded to the last thread. I finally
    discovered that the Netgear Super-G card was intermittently failing
    and probably just happened to work when I tried it in another
    computer.

    I replaced the failing card with a new one, but now I have a new
    problem. IE6 refuses to work with the card unless my office VPN is
    active. I tried asking in IE6 specific forums, but after a few days
    I've gotten no useful answers so I thought I'd try here.

    The situation is this: my office laptop has built-in 11b radio, but at
    home I have a Netgear Super-G network so I use a WG511T card instead.
    The laptop also has a Cisco VPN set up by office IT. Normally, I
    should be able to use either radio, use my own network with the VPN
    disabled (and IE proxy settings disabled) and then connect the VPN to
    use my office network. This is the way I used my old Netgear card and
    it still works the same with the built-in 11b radio.

    However, with the new Netgear card, IE6 won't work unless the VPN is
    connected. When the VPN is disabled, all I get is "can't display page
    - can't find server or DNS error" regardless of proxy settings. I get
    the same error even if I type the server's address manually so it
    seems like IE6 isn't even trying.

    Other net apps (Outlook, ftp, ping, trace, nslookup) are working
    normally regardless of the VPN - when VPN is connected they route
    through my office, otherwise they route through my home network and
    ISP. Only IE6 demands the VPN be active.

    I can't find any settings different between the connection using the
    new card and the one using the built-in radio - both are configured
    through DHCP from my router and the settings all appear to be correct.
    Naturally the routing tables all change when the VPN is active. All
    the IE6 settings appear to be the same regardless of connection. I've
    tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Netgear card, flushing the DNS and
    browser caches when the card is in use, enabling/disabling the IE6
    proxy settings, etc. Nothing has worked. IE6 seems to be completely
    ignoring the proxy settings and just expecting the VPN all the time.

    There don't seem to be any settings for specific connections or
    devices in the Cisco VPN - it seems to just take over everything when
    it's active.

    I don't have any way of reinstalling IE6 (or anything else). Is there
    something I can check in the registry or in some setup file(s)? Any
    other thoughts or suggestions? At this point I'm completely baffled.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

  2. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On May 12, 10:34*pm, George Neuner wrote:
    > Thanks to everyone who responded to the last thread. *I finally
    > discovered that the Netgear Super-G card was intermittently failing
    > and probably just happened to work when I tried it in another
    > computer.
    >
    > I replaced the failing card with a new one, but now I have a new
    > problem. *IE6 refuses to work with the card unless my office VPN is
    > active. *I tried asking in IE6 specific forums, but after a few days
    > I've gotten no useful answers so I thought I'd try here.
    >
    > The situation is this: my office laptop has built-in 11b radio, but at
    > home I have a Netgear Super-G network so I use a WG511T card instead.
    > The laptop also has a Cisco VPN set up by office IT. *Normally, I
    > should be able to use either radio, use my own network with the VPN
    > disabled (and IE proxy settings disabled) and then connect the VPN to
    > use my office network. *This is the way I used my old Netgear card and
    > it still works the same with the built-in 11b radio.
    >
    > However, with the new Netgear card, IE6 won't work unless the VPN is
    > connected. *When the VPN is disabled, all I get is "can't display page
    > - can't find server or DNS error" regardless of proxy settings. *I get
    > the same error even if I type the server's address manually so it
    > seems like IE6 isn't even trying.
    >
    > Other net apps (Outlook, ftp, ping, trace, nslookup) are working
    > normally regardless of the VPN - when VPN is connected they route
    > through my office, otherwise they route through my home network and
    > ISP. *Only IE6 demands the VPN be active.
    >
    > I can't find any settings different between the connection using the
    > new card and the one using the built-in radio - both are configured
    > through DHCP from my router and the settings all appear to be correct.
    > Naturally the routing tables all change when the VPN is active. *All
    > the IE6 settings appear to be the same regardless of connection. *I've
    > tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Netgear card, flushing the DNS and
    > browser caches when the card is in use, enabling/disabling the IE6
    > proxy settings, etc. *Nothing has worked. *IE6 seems to be completely
    > ignoring the proxy settings and just expecting the VPN all the time.
    >
    > There don't seem to be any settings for specific connections or
    > devices in the Cisco VPN - it seems to just take over everything when
    > it's active.
    >
    > I don't have any way of reinstalling IE6 (or anything else). *Is there
    > something I can check in the registry or in some setup file(s)? *Any
    > other thoughts or suggestions? *At this point I'm completely baffled.
    >
    > George
    > --
    > for email reply remove "/" from address

    It sounds like your laptop is configured to only use the Internet
    service that your "office" is set up for. Check the DNS servers
    settings, whoich might be entered in the Network Connections

  3. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:16:33 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    wrote:

    >It sounds like your laptop is configured to only use the Internet
    >service that your "office" is set up for. Check the DNS servers
    >settings, whoich might be entered in the Network Connections

    Hi,

    Thanks for responding. I've checked DNS settings - all connections
    are configured through DHCP. The VPN takes over all routing when
    enabled, but when it's disabled the connection settings are correct
    for my home router.

    What's confusing me is that everything worked as expected with the old
    Netgear Super-G card ... but now that I have a new card, IE alone
    refuses to use it while all my other network apps work as before. And
    everything, including IE, works as before using the internal 11b
    radio. I can't figure out why there is a difference with the new
    hardware.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

  4. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On May 13, 12:32*pm, George Neuner wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:16:33 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It sounds like your laptop is configured to only use the Internet
    > >service that your "office" is set up for. *Check the DNS servers
    > >settings, whoich might be entered in the Network Connections

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for responding. *I've checked DNS settings - all connections
    > are configured through DHCP. *The VPN takes over all routing when
    > enabled, but when it's disabled the connection settings are correct
    > for my home router.
    >
    > What's confusing me is that everything worked as expected with the old
    > Netgear Super-G card ... but now that I have a new card, IE alone
    > refuses to use it while all my other network apps work as before. *And
    > everything, including IE, works as before using the internal 11b
    > radio. *I can't figure out why there is a difference with the new
    > hardware.
    >
    > George
    > --
    > for email reply remove "/" from address

    Have you consider trying to use your "old" 11b adapter, as a test?

    Did you "uninstall" the odle Netgear drivers from the PC?

  5. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:13:21 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    wrote:

    >On May 13, 12:32*pm, George Neuner wrote:
    >> On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:16:33 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It sounds like your laptop is configured to only use the Internet
    >> >service that your "office" is set up for. *Check the DNS servers
    >> >settings, whoich might be entered in the Network Connections

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Thanks for responding. *I've checked DNS settings - all connections
    >> are configured through DHCP. *The VPN takes over all routing when
    >> enabled, but when it's disabled the connection settings are correct
    >> for my home router.
    >>
    >> What's confusing me is that everything worked as expected with the old
    >> Netgear Super-G card ... but now that I have a new card, IE alone
    >> refuses to use it while all my other network apps work as before. *And
    >> everything, including IE, works as before using the internal 11b
    >> radio. *I can't figure out why there is a difference with the new
    >> hardware.
    >>
    >> George
    >> --
    >> for email reply remove "/" from address

    >Have you consider trying to use your "old" 11b adapter, as a test?

    All applications work with the built-in 11b radio. They all worked
    with the old (now broken) Netgear Super-G card as well. Everything
    *except* IE6 works with the new Netgear Super-G card.

    >Did you "uninstall" the old Netgear drivers from the PC?

    Yes. The new card is a different model so I had to uninstall the old
    drivers and install the new. I ran Registry Mechanic afterward to
    clean up anything the uninstall missed.

    Honestly, IE6 is the only network application that won't work properly
    with the new card. I am completely baffled.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

  6. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    Hi
    In principle I would not "mess/; with office setting.
    However if you are allowed may be this application can help.
    http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "George Neuner" wrote in message

    > Thanks to everyone who responded to the last thread. I finally
    > discovered that the Netgear Super-G card was intermittently failing
    > and probably just happened to work when I tried it in another
    > computer.
    >

    > I replaced the failing card with a new one, but now I have a new
    > problem. IE6 refuses to work with the card unless my office VPN is
    > active. I tried asking in IE6 specific forums, but after a few days
    > I've gotten no useful answers so I thought I'd try here.
    >
    > The situation is this: my office laptop has built-in 11b radio, but at
    > home I have a Netgear Super-G network so I use a WG511T card instead.
    > The laptop also has a Cisco VPN set up by office IT. Normally, I
    > should be able to use either radio, use my own network with the VPN
    > disabled (and IE proxy settings disabled) and then connect the VPN to
    > use my office network. This is the way I used my old Netgear card and
    > it still works the same with the built-in 11b radio.
    >
    > However, with the new Netgear card, IE6 won't work unless the VPN is
    > connected. When the VPN is disabled, all I get is "can't display page
    > - can't find server or DNS error" regardless of proxy settings. I get
    > the same error even if I type the server's address manually so it
    > seems like IE6 isn't even trying.
    >
    > Other net apps (Outlook, ftp, ping, trace, nslookup) are working
    > normally regardless of the VPN - when VPN is connected they route
    > through my office, otherwise they route through my home network and
    > ISP. Only IE6 demands the VPN be active.
    >
    > I can't find any settings different between the connection using the
    > new card and the one using the built-in radio - both are configured
    > through DHCP from my router and the settings all appear to be correct.
    > Naturally the routing tables all change when the VPN is active. All
    > the IE6 settings appear to be the same regardless of connection. I've
    > tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Netgear card, flushing the DNS and
    > browser caches when the card is in use, enabling/disabling the IE6
    > proxy settings, etc. Nothing has worked. IE6 seems to be completely
    > ignoring the proxy settings and just expecting the VPN all the time.
    >
    > There don't seem to be any settings for specific connections or
    > devices in the Cisco VPN - it seems to just take over everything when
    > it's active.
    >
    > I don't have any way of reinstalling IE6 (or anything else). Is there
    > something I can check in the registry or in some setup file(s)? Any
    > other thoughts or suggestions? At this point I'm completely baffled.
    >
    > George
    > --
    > for email reply remove "/" from address

  7. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 20:41:34 -0400, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    wrote:

    >In principle I would not "mess/; with office setting.
    >However if you are allowed may be this application can help.
    >http://www.mobilenetswitch.com/
    >Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Another configuration switcher:

    For just the networks setup switching:

    # 831-336-2558 jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # http://802.11junk.com jeffl@cruzio.com
    # http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

  8. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    George Neuner wrote:

    > All applications work with the built-in 11b radio. They all worked
    > with the old (now broken) Netgear Super-G card as well. Everything
    > *except* IE6 works with the new Netgear Super-G card.

    > Honestly, IE6 is the only network application that won't work properly
    > with the new card. I am completely baffled.

    Round about now, I would say to myself "well, IE is a load of sh&*
    anyway, I'll just upgrade to Firefox and get the benefit of stabler,
    more reliable, safer browsing etc". No kidding.

    Otherwise you could try upgrading to IE7, see if that fixes it. My only
    remaining guess is that one of your network card installers has
    "upgraded" some DLL in the TCP stack to a version that IE6 doesn't like.

  9. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    Have checked your proxy settings?
    Other options on the Connections tab?
    Note that all wi-fi connections go under the "LAN" category in Connections.

    --PA

    "George Neuner" wrote in message

    > Thanks to everyone who responded to the last thread. I finally
    > discovered that the Netgear Super-G card was intermittently failing
    > and probably just happened to work when I tried it in another
    > computer.
    >

    > I replaced the failing card with a new one, but now I have a new
    > problem. IE6 refuses to work with the card unless my office VPN is
    > active. I tried asking in IE6 specific forums, but after a few days
    > I've gotten no useful answers so I thought I'd try here.
    >
    > The situation is this: my office laptop has built-in 11b radio, but at
    > home I have a Netgear Super-G network so I use a WG511T card instead.
    > The laptop also has a Cisco VPN set up by office IT. Normally, I
    > should be able to use either radio, use my own network with the VPN
    > disabled (and IE proxy settings disabled) and then connect the VPN to
    > use my office network. This is the way I used my old Netgear card and
    > it still works the same with the built-in 11b radio.
    >
    > However, with the new Netgear card, IE6 won't work unless the VPN is
    > connected. When the VPN is disabled, all I get is "can't display page
    > - can't find server or DNS error" regardless of proxy settings. I get
    > the same error even if I type the server's address manually so it
    > seems like IE6 isn't even trying.
    >
    > Other net apps (Outlook, ftp, ping, trace, nslookup) are working
    > normally regardless of the VPN - when VPN is connected they route
    > through my office, otherwise they route through my home network and
    > ISP. Only IE6 demands the VPN be active.
    >
    > I can't find any settings different between the connection using the
    > new card and the one using the built-in radio - both are configured
    > through DHCP from my router and the settings all appear to be correct.
    > Naturally the routing tables all change when the VPN is active. All
    > the IE6 settings appear to be the same regardless of connection. I've
    > tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Netgear card, flushing the DNS and
    > browser caches when the card is in use, enabling/disabling the IE6
    > proxy settings, etc. Nothing has worked. IE6 seems to be completely
    > ignoring the proxy settings and just expecting the VPN all the time.
    >
    > There don't seem to be any settings for specific connections or
    > devices in the Cisco VPN - it seems to just take over everything when
    > it's active.
    >
    > I don't have any way of reinstalling IE6 (or anything else). Is there
    > something I can check in the registry or in some setup file(s)? Any
    > other thoughts or suggestions? At this point I'm completely baffled.
    >
    > George
    > --
    > for email reply remove "/" from address

  10. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On May 14, 5:18 am, "Pavel A." wrote:
    > Have checked your proxy settings?
    > Other options on the Connections tab?
    > Note that all wi-fi connections go under the "LAN" category in Connections.

    Yes, this is the obvious thing to check first; in IE6 go to
    tools>Internet options >Connections>LAN and make sure proxy is off and
    it detects the network automatically.

  11. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    Hi
    It is a little hard to seriously trash something when there is Millions
    using it and it works for them.
    No software is perfect, and neither are users.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Mark McIntyre" wrote in message
    > George Neuner wrote:
    >>
    >> All applications work with the built-in 11b radio. They all worked
    >> with the old (now broken) Netgear Super-G card as well. Everything
    >> *except* IE6 works with the new Netgear Super-G card.

    >> Honestly, IE6 is the only network application that won't work properly
    >> with the new card. I am completely baffled.

    > Round about now, I would say to myself "well, IE is a load of sh&* anyway,
    > I'll just upgrade to Firefox and get the benefit of stabler, more
    > reliable, safer browsing etc". No kidding.
    >
    > Otherwise you could try upgrading to IE7, see if that fixes it. My only
    > remaining guess is that one of your network card installers has "upgraded"
    > some DLL in the TCP stack to a version that IE6 doesn't like.

  12. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > It is a little hard to seriously trash something

    .... distributed preinstalled on virtually every computer when you buy
    it, along with an OS you have almost no choice but to buy.

    > when there is Millions
    > using it and it works for them.

    Millions of people are having unprotected sex too. Just because it
    'works for them' doesn't make it advisable. :-)

    > No software is perfect, and neither are users.

    Absolutely, on both counts.

    The unanswerable question is - how many of those millions of IE users
    would have voluntarily downloaded it from MS's website if they'd had
    some other browser preinstalled instead instead? Or if the Windows
    installer had offered a choice of 5 browsers in alphabetic order with
    none preselected?

    >> Otherwise you could try upgrading to IE7, see if that fixes it. My
    >> only remaining guess is that one of your network card installers has
    >> "upgraded" some DLL in the TCP stack to a version that IE6 doesn't like.

    I presume you ignored this as it didn't fit with your preconceptions
    that I was a rabid anti-MS freetard? Just for reference I'm posting this
    from a machine with installs of XP of Linux, each for its different
    purpose.

  13. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    Create a new user on that machine. See if that user account can then use IE
    to connect.

    If so then your other user account has gotten it's profile settings screwed
    up.

    If not then there's something screwed up with the card's configuration.

    Try a new account to verify what does and doesn't work with it.

  14. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:48:00 -0400, "Bill Kearney"
    wrote:

    >Create a new user on that machine. See if that user account can then use IE
    >to connect.
    >
    >If so then your other user account has gotten it's profile settings screwed
    >up.
    >
    >If not then there's something screwed up with the card's configuration.
    >
    >Try a new account to verify what does and doesn't work with it.

    It's a work provided laptop. I am essentially a power user but I
    don't have all admin rights under the security policy. I can install
    additional software under my own account (not globally) provided I
    take responsibility for it. I have installed a couple of critical (to
    me) tools, but in general I don't mess with the machine much. Service
    and driver installs can sometimes be problematic, but I didn't have
    any obvious trouble with the new card drivers - AFAICT it went
    smoothly (I did it twice actually, uninstalled and installed again
    when IE didn't work).

    WRT trying IE7 (which someone else suggested) ... we have some
    specialized document handling software that's tied to IE6 and Office
    2K. IT won't yet guarantee it to work with newer versions. We just
    got XP on our laptops late last year so I'm not holding my breath for
    updates.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

  15. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    > It's a work provided laptop.

    Then have work fix it.

    Or if it's possible and company policy doesn't prevent it, have another
    valid user log onto the machine and see if IE6 works for them.

    > but in general I don't mess with the machine much

    Famous last words. Heh.

    > WRT trying IE7 (which someone else suggested) ... we have some
    > specialized document handling software that's tied to IE6 and Office
    > 2K. IT won't yet guarantee it to work with newer versions.

    Won't guarantee doesn't mean won't work. But given your restricted
    privileges on the machine it would probably be a bad idea to go monkeying
    with the IE6/IE7 overlap issues.

    I'm guessing the profile for your account has gotten screwy. I've seen it
    happen on machines of my own. I've had to go so far as to trash that user
    profile and start all over. IE just got unfixably confused about how to
    deal with connections. Granted, this was on a machine that was several
    years old and had been through a number of network card changes and VPN
    setups. There's a series of layers that IE depends upon to figure out how
    to "connect". It shouldn't be that complicated, but there it is. Proxies,
    routing, vpn, dial-up, domain membership, etc. It's all tied together
    behind the scenes. When it works it's great, but when it gets screwed up
    it's a royal PITA to untangle.

    Try having a cow-orker log onto the box and use IE6 for something that is
    known to fail for you. If their session works, well, you've got a profile
    problem. You might want to wander into Microsoft's technet articles to see
    if they discuss this and suggest fixes. This might be worthwhile as work's
    approach might be to just nuke your profile and force you to start over.
    This will upset any other apps or configurations you've got set up. But it
    may, in the end, deleting and recreating the profile may be the only
    solution.

    -Bill Kearney

  16. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On Mon, 12 May 2008 22:34:31 -0400, George Neuner
    wrote:

    >IE6 refuses to work with the card unless my office VPN is
    >active. I tried asking in IE6 specific forums, but after a few days
    >I've gotten no useful answers so I thought I'd try here.

    The reason you need the VPN is that your default gateway is probably
    pointing to the gateway IP on the office router. That's NOT the
    correct way to setup a VPN on a mobile device. However, you may be in
    luck if only IE6 is NOT working.

    Start IE6 and go unto:
    Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections
    My first guess(tm) is that you have it set to always dial the VPN
    connection or some kind of profile that points to the old wireless
    card. Try it with "Never dial a connection" and see if that fixes
    IE6.

    If not, my 2nd guess(tm) is to select "Lan Settings" on that page,
    record the current settings so you can put them back if necessary, and
    clear out whatever is in the "Proxy Server" settings. Also, make sure
    that "Automatically Detect Settings is *NOT* checked.

    I dunno if these guesses will help, but it's worth trying. Otherwise,
    I suggest you have your company IT people set it up exactly the way
    you want it.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  17. Re: IE6 won't use wireless card [was XP wireless not working]

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 00:49:52 -0400, George Neuner
    wrote:

    >WRT trying IE7 (which someone else suggested) ... we have some
    >specialized document handling software that's tied to IE6 and Office
    >2K. IT won't yet guarantee it to work with newer versions. We just
    >got XP on our laptops late last year so I'm not holding my breath for
    >updates.

    Let me guess.... you're in the insurance industry? I have customer
    with a mess of computers that can't use IE7 thanks to some really
    awful software written for some obscure client rating software. The
    programmers decided to build in their own browser in their software
    rather than use a stand alone browser. This was probably done to
    "insure compatibility" or some such rot. The way it works is that it
    uses the Windoze Explorer libraries with a custom front end. There
    are even commerical and free apps that do this:

    (dead but still works)

    Quicken and Quickbooks also use the IE libraries for their internal
    browser. Quickbooks 2005 and some other versions literally don't work
    on machines with IE7 installed. However, there are patches available:

    Some things didn't quite work the same way in IE7 as in IE6.
    Unfortunately, they usually result in a less than graceful
    applications crash. My guess(tm) is that this is why you're stuck
    with IE6.

    I really don't consider it a problem because there are pleny of better
    and safer browsers available. I use Mozilla Firefox. For testing
    web pages, I also have Safari, Opera, Slimbrowser, NetCaptor, and
    Maxthon. I won't install Netscape as it tramples on Firefox. If the
    security policies are sufficient screwed up that IE6 can't be fixed,
    try one of these. I suggest Firefox. Incidentally, it's worth the
    effort just to use the various Add-on's.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

+ Reply to Thread