how do i access bluetooth capability - Wireless

This is a discussion on how do i access bluetooth capability - Wireless ; hi, i am using Windows XP SP3 (on a macbook via VMware Fusion). I have a treo 750W that runs Windows Mobile 6.0. My macbook has bluetooth capability but i have no idea how to use that to sync my ...

  1. how do i access bluetooth capability

    hi,
    i am using Windows XP SP3 (on a macbook via VMware Fusion). I have a treo
    750W that runs Windows Mobile 6.0. My macbook has bluetooth capability but i
    have no idea how to use that to sync my treo with the windows side of my
    machine. I have read a number of posts that suggest that if i go to control
    panel or network connections, i should find "Bluetooth Devices" but there is
    nothing there. there are also mentions of MS Bluetooth Stack but i have no
    idea if i have that already or need to download it and if the latter then
    from where.

    Can someone please help? if you can dumb down the instruction for a lay
    person, that would be terrific.

    thanks so much.

  2. Re: how do i access bluetooth capability

    "ReshiR" wrote in message
    > hi,
    > i am using Windows XP SP3 (on a macbook via VMware Fusion). I have a treo
    > 750W that runs Windows Mobile 6.0. My macbook has bluetooth capability
    > but i
    > have no idea how to use that to sync my treo with the windows side of my
    > machine. I have read a number of posts that suggest that if i go to
    > control
    > panel or network connections, i should find "Bluetooth Devices" but there
    > is
    > nothing there. there are also mentions of MS Bluetooth Stack but i have
    > no
    > idea if i have that already or need to download it and if the latter then
    > from where.
    >
    > Can someone please help? if you can dumb down the instruction for a lay
    > person, that would be terrific.
    >
    > thanks so much.

    Vmware does not emulate BT or provide access to BT of the host.
    If Fusion supports USB, try sync over USB instead.
    Maybe you can also install driver for USB BT device inside the Windows VM.

    Regards,
    --PA

  3. RE: how do i access bluetooth capability

    That response did not answer the poster's question. I have the same
    question: my notebook has a bluetooth module installed, but no bluetooth icon
    appears anywhere.

    "ReshiR" wrote:

    > hi,
    > i am using Windows XP SP3 (on a macbook via VMware Fusion). I have a treo
    > 750W that runs Windows Mobile 6.0. My macbook has bluetooth capability but i
    > have no idea how to use that to sync my treo with the windows side of my
    > machine. I have read a number of posts that suggest that if i go to control
    > panel or network connections, i should find "Bluetooth Devices" but there is
    > nothing there. there are also mentions of MS Bluetooth Stack but i have no
    > idea if i have that already or need to download it and if the latter then
    > from where.
    >
    > Can someone please help? if you can dumb down the instruction for a lay
    > person, that would be terrific.
    >
    > thanks so much.

  4. Re: how do i access bluetooth capability

    To my knowledge XP has no software componenet to manage a Bluetooth devices
    (like Vista has). That has to come from the software/utility/driver from
    the bluetooth hardware device manufacture. If you install that and the
    hardware is not "found" then the hardware is probably defective.

    Using my laptop as an example, I have a Dell M90 laptop with XP and it has a
    Bluetooth "LED" above the keyboard. Yet it never lights up,..I have never
    seen any kind of utility anywhere on the machine for Bluetooth Devices and I
    see no indication that the "wireless nic" in the machine is even truely
    Bluetooth capable,...so things just aren't always what they appear. Now if
    anyone knows something that I'm missing, great, I'd like to use bluetooth on
    this one if possible,...but I don't think it is possible without verifying
    that the Nic is Bluetooth capable and adding whatever third party software
    is required to interact with a portable Bluetooth device.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    "CatChase" wrote in message
    > That response did not answer the poster's question. I have the same
    > question: my notebook has a bluetooth module installed, but no bluetooth
    > icon
    > appears anywhere.
    >
    > "ReshiR" wrote:
    >
    >> hi,
    >> i am using Windows XP SP3 (on a macbook via VMware Fusion). I have a
    >> treo
    >> 750W that runs Windows Mobile 6.0. My macbook has bluetooth capability
    >> but i
    >> have no idea how to use that to sync my treo with the windows side of my
    >> machine. I have read a number of posts that suggest that if i go to
    >> control
    >> panel or network connections, i should find "Bluetooth Devices" but
    >> there is
    >> nothing there. there are also mentions of MS Bluetooth Stack but i
    >> have no
    >> idea if i have that already or need to download it and if the latter then
    >> from where.
    >>
    >> Can someone please help? if you can dumb down the instruction for a lay
    >> person, that would be terrific.
    >>
    >> thanks so much.

  5. Re: how do i access bluetooth capability

    Phillip : do you see any BT adapter in the device manager?
    If not, please check your laptop manual for instructions how to enable BT
    (btw, it can be missing in some models).

    WinXP SP2+ does contain a BT driver; though less capable than
    Widcomm/Broadcom or BlueSoleil.
    When Windows installs the BT driver, it will also add a BT management applet
    in the Control Panel.
    If you don't see that in the control panel, chances are that your BT device
    had never been enabled.

    Regards,
    --PA

    "Phillip Windell" wrote in message
    > To my knowledge XP has no software componenet to manage a Bluetooth
    > devices (like Vista has). That has to come from the
    > software/utility/driver from the bluetooth hardware device manufacture.
    > If you install that and the hardware is not "found" then the hardware is
    > probably defective.
    >
    > Using my laptop as an example, I have a Dell M90 laptop with XP and it has
    > a Bluetooth "LED" above the keyboard. Yet it never lights up,..I have
    > never seen any kind of utility anywhere on the machine for Bluetooth
    > Devices and I see no indication that the "wireless nic" in the machine is
    > even truely Bluetooth capable,...so things just aren't always what they
    > appear. Now if anyone knows something that I'm missing, great, I'd like
    > to use bluetooth on this one if possible,...but I don't think it is
    > possible without verifying that the Nic is Bluetooth capable and adding
    > whatever third party software is required to interact with a portable
    > Bluetooth device.
    >

    > --
    > Phillip Windell
    > www.wandtv.com
    >
    > The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
    > Microsoft,
    >
    > "CatChase" wrote in message
    >> That response did not answer the poster's question. I have the same
    >> question: my notebook has a bluetooth module installed, but no bluetooth
    >> icon
    >> appears anywhere.
    >>
    >> "ReshiR" wrote:
    >>
    >>> hi,
    >>> i am using Windows XP SP3 (on a macbook via VMware Fusion). I have a
    >>> treo
    >>> 750W that runs Windows Mobile 6.0. My macbook has bluetooth capability
    >>> but i
    >>> have no idea how to use that to sync my treo with the windows side of my
    >>> machine. I have read a number of posts that suggest that if i go to
    >>> control
    >>> panel or network connections, i should find "Bluetooth Devices" but
    >>> there is
    >>> nothing there. there are also mentions of MS Bluetooth Stack but i
    >>> have no
    >>> idea if i have that already or need to download it and if the latter
    >>> then
    >>> from where.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone please help? if you can dumb down the instruction for a lay
    >>> person, that would be terrific.
    >>>
    >>> thanks so much.

  6. Re: how do i access bluetooth capability

    Thanks for the reply Pavel!

    I don't see anything BT related in Device Manager or in CP, so I suspect my
    Laptop doesn't have that. The LED on the Laptop I'm sure it there on all of
    those models but is only used when they are actually equiped with BT.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

+ Reply to Thread